Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

where have winters gone

First, bridges yea! Second, stairs a bigger yea! Third winter is here as of last night. I love the winters, excellent for exploring and hunting. Now I take notice an update is going to happen, and that is great, but after an update the seasons change.

Past few winters only lasted a very few days. I used to take the winter season as a set time to travel to my old server and do some hunting. Sadly by the time I pack up, head out, leave Xanadu and arrive at Celebration; I end up only having a day of hunting then wakeup to spring.

What is up with two weeks of fall then one day winters? Rolf are you some environmentalist bent on making global warming more important than keeping the lights on?

• Like 6

Winters are depressingly short these days. I always used to enjoy the bleak, long winters on Wild back in the day. It was like being in an episode of the Moomins for weeks on end.

Bring back longer seasons I say! Just maybe tone down the glare a tad.

• Like 8

Winter and fall are the worst i am glad to see them gone fast. 

• Like 9

Personally, I don't like the winter season in game. I much preferred the old days when we only saw that stuff during the week of Christmas. 

I am hoping that one day, weather effects and seasonal graphic changes are toggle-able.

• Like 3

Winter is lovely if the freaking glare wouldn't be that bad from time to time

• Like 1

Winter is lovely if the freaking glare wouldn't be that bad from time to time

It can be bad, I can adjust the contrast a bit to ease that off though. With nights being so dark even a good lantern struggle, its nice to have a few winter nights to assist finding your way out of woods at night. Beats logging out for two hours.

Dark isn't dark enough as well. Also, lamps, lanterns aren't bright enough. Plus we need more nocturnal beasties to try to murder you while out in the wild alone at night. Just like the Moomins.

• Like 3

It would be interesting to have a dark night instead of "movie nighttime".

• Like 3

I absolutely despise winter.  I hope it does vanish.

• Like 2

First, bridges yea! Second, stairs a bigger yea! Third winter is here as of last night. I love the winters, excellent for exploring and hunting. Now I take notice an update is going to happen, and that is great, but after an update the seasons change.

Past few winters only lasted a very few days. I used to take the winter season as a set time to travel to my old server and do some hunting. Sadly by the time I pack up, head out, leave Xanadu and arrive at Celebration; I end up only having a day of hunting then wakeup to spring.

What is up with two weeks of fall then one day winters? Rolf are you some environmentalist bent on making global warming more important than keeping the lights on?

Winter arrives at a set time. Why don't you prepare for it and go to Celebration the day before it arrives? I dislike winter also but see it as a necessary evil. Hopefully a very short timed evil. 

*wishes SEASON_OVERRIDE would start working again*

Options are good. They let each player enjoy what he or she enjoys. Happy customers are good customer. In this case giving the players what they want isn't going to hurt anything.

• Like 2

I love winters in wurm. Seasons and weather along with wind direction and speed made a huge impression on me when I started playing, its too bad winters are so short now.

What glare are you talking about? Do you mean the bloom? That could be solved with a bloom slider.

I love winter in the game, What I don't love is the unrealistic graphics that make everything look the same. Rock still needs to look like rock with snow on top, Not covering every square inch of it. And causing the terrain to be unrecognizable.  Grass and other terrain need to be more identifiable, Even with snow on them.

The biggest reason is so that we can still navigate by using the terrain, Rather than being lost in a sea of grey.

• Like 1

Where I live the snow gets deep enough that you can't tell if rock or grass lies beneath the snow. Not uncommon to also have bushes buried. Sometimes trees disappear too.

And if we wanted to be realistic shouldn't we have to shovel snow to keep the roads clear?

• Like 1

Winter arrives at a set time. Why don't you prepare for it and go to Celebration the day before it arrives? I dislike winter also but see it as a necessary evil. Hopefully a very short timed evil. 

• Like 1

*wishes SEASON_OVERRIDE would start working again*

Options are good. They let each player enjoy what he or she enjoys. Happy customers are good customer. In this case giving the players what they want isn't going to hurt anything.

I want that everyone experience the seasons. And they do, so I am a happy costumer  :)

Edited by Cista

I don't have the facts on that, but still doesn't matter when poof you are back in spring after only two days of winter. By that alone it is at least possible that the set date can be prematurely initiated, as is the case of these 'early' springs. Aside from texture changes, winter is the only season there is a true change in the world of wurm, being able to see better at night, see further through bare trees, find objects in the shorter sparse grasses etc. All other seasons are simply color changes of what is already there (trees still have leaves but they change green to yellow/orange colours etc). Winter at least brings a true change.

I think winter lets enchanted grass put on a glorious display. I like all the seasons, as each have their place and give the game a well-rounded feeling. Besides - when spring comes, it is all the more beautiful.

• Like 2

I want that everyone experience the seasons. And they do, so I am a happy costumer  :)

Does trolling make you feel as good as telling other show they should play?

Does trolling make you feel as good as telling other show they should play?

Just trying to explain to you that what you want is not necessarily what everyone else wants. Having everyone playing in different environments is not what I would like in a game, so I am very happy that this is not going to happen, thanks devs   :)   

I'll enjoy ambient weather more when it stops snowing inside my home.

• Like 1

I Love Winter also, someone made a suggestion long ago to provide a winter-skin, if the gamemakers hate winter so much.

Long ago the season lasted very long and i enjoyed them so much, it was in reality, you loved the new season starting and when it ended you were happy also, cause you were a bit fed up of it and you looked happily forward to the new season.

As it is now you don't have an inner participation anymore, and thats the worst.

On, off, white, green, yellow and white again. Like a disco or a traffic sign.

It's flat.

Edited by Sizan
  • Like 3

I like the winter textures but hate looking at them for more than a few days. The 5-or-so day long winter is fine.