Sign in to follow this  
Khelleyne

New player need info!

Hey there guys! To let you know, I'm not really a new player. I tried this game a couple years ago, and quite frankly, I got addicted in no time. Like, seriously. I played for a month non-stop, in my little shack, grinding and grinding over and over again in hope of achieving something nice someday. Obviously, I had to quit for personnal reason and I never got back since then. From the time I played, I know there's been massive change to the game. New items, multiple-story buildings, new servers etc, etc... I want to get back, but I don't know where to go exactly. I don't want to play alone, at any case, because I don't have the time to play this game like I want to and I don't want to get stuck without any projects. To let you all know, I'm heavily focusing on PvE rather than bashing people's skulls. I don't mind getting into some fights for the fun of it, like for exemple, a tournament, or something like that....but I like I said, I don't have the time to repair my stuff over and over again because some guys just want to see the world burn. I'm working way too much during summer and I want to play with nice people during my days off. I know there is a section talking about new people recruitement, but I would rather like to have your impressions you have about your "realm". So, that's pretty much it! I'm wishing you all a good time playing and who knows, we might walk along the road together someday!!

There are some pretty nice starter villages that allow you to build up your skills and get back into the game. Then there are ofc the PvP Kingdoms who welcome you, and some more advanced villages where you are given a specific role. Depending on what you are looking for, I'm certain you can find something suitable. Welcome back to the game and best of luck with your search! 

If you would like your own settlement, I recommend looking for an abandoned place in Deli, or settling in Xanadu. Seem to be the best options :D

If you are looking for a place to build on deed you are welcome to build in my deed loads of open space to do what you wish

If you can put up with the occasional server lag spikes and the travel times due to the size of the server than Xanadu is a pretty great place to live. There are plenty of villages there that take in new people and provide them with tools and projects to keep them busy, you can even use the new in game village recruitment signs found at each of the starter deeds to find a new home if searching on the forum isn't your thing.

Welcome back to Wurm and I hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Welcome back to Wurm!

Nice to see you back :)

You should check the recruitement forums to see if there is a village that will take you in.

There are alot of them who accept new people!

Enjoy :)

Might as well piggyback off of this to keep the 'hey I'm a new player' thread count down a tad if there's no objections.

More like a 'considering-returning' player myself, since the last I've truly done with the game was back when GV wasn't the tutorial server, as well as memorable shenanigans before that. (Do people still live outside the gates and work on the tutorial deed there? I remember eternally under-construction things.) Anyway, with the new maps and bridges coming, the yearly itch is gettin' pretty bad, yo. Even with other games to play and a job to work.

I remember I really got a kick out of cooking things and maybe taming animals.

There are a few accounts still kicking about outside the walls on GV last I heard.

There are a few accounts still kicking about outside the walls on GV last I heard.

Gotta admit, it would be interesting to see what the state of the rest of the server looked like out there by now.

Gotta admit, it would be interesting to see what the state of the rest of the server looked like out there by now.

A terraformed wasteland.

A terraformed wasteland.

Still sounds neat to wander around in.

But back on topic, Deliverance might be a good option post-tutorial due to lower population?

Or how would you rate the Freedom servers?

Although some of the smaller servers -- deliverance, exodus, pristine etc --  have a lower population, I think they also only have 1/16th the land mass of Xanadu.  Independence is larger but still only one fourth the land mass of Xanadu,.

So the population DENSITY might be higher on older servers even when the population is much lower. 

Some of the older servers also have a higher percentage of veteran players who are self sufficient -- this might mean it is hard to barter anything that would be of any value to them, except bulk construction materials (bricks, mortar, nails etc). You will have a harder time finding trade value in skilled areas such as carpentry, blackmsithing, shipbuilding, animal husbandry. Because everyone else has a 2-4 year head start on you.  On the other hand, the older servers might be more generous because they have a surplus of goods and skills, and sometimes seem less interested in trading and more likely to just give stuff away if they see you as a welcome addition to their community.  What the smaller/older servers often have is thriving COMMUNITY SPIRIT, so if you enjoy knowing the names of everyone on the server and their reputations, you might find a smaller server more intimate and more fun. 

Xanadu probably has more "active" villages, a younger overall population, and a more active economy.  It also currently is said to have sometimes severe lagging issues, and probably more likely to have clashes instead of diplomatic resolutions because people don;t know each other as well. It probably has fewer "cliques" that favor the longer established players.

Start on a small server on a good footing and good beginning, and you might easily find a home you are a part of for many years. Reputation is important on any server, but on a server with less than 50 players active at any time, you can bet they will be discussing and sharing their experiences with each other. You do NOT want to get a bad reputation on a server that has only 23 or 32 players active. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Khelleyne, If you want to join an existing Village as you state in your OP, then as Devily stated it is best to just check out the Village Recruitment Center section. Also each of the Freedom Isles sections that list the individual PvE servers will have a Recruitment Section at the top to check out for that individual server.

Rekenber, One nice thing about Xanadu being so large is that it has 10 starter Villages in contrast to the other servers having only one. Because of this you could just make another alt character and suicide to each one of them to check out the surrounding areas to find one most to your liking. Then later make arrangements to get your existing character there in some way or just use the new alt to settle down.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

You "newbies" are welcome to join Storm's End on Inde. I'll put you to work on a project very quickly!!!

I have a few deeds in SE Xanadu as part of the Tarsis Empire and would be happy to have either of you join me over there.

I enjoy Xanadu because so much of it is still untouched. If you join me, you are welcome to help on a couple projects I am working on or just use the village as a 'homebase' to do your own thing from.

I am not an 'uber' crafter but can get you some decent tools that are better than the beginner ones and offer as much or as little help advice as you like. :)

My deeds aren't really fancy at this point, just expanding and improving them as the urge strikes me. I am located about O22/23 on the Xanadu map.

I also have a deed on Newspring that has one villager currently on it but I am not there much. I will likely be selling that sometime but you are welcome to try there until then if you prefer to be in the SW instead.

Message me here or at Abbynormal in game if any of this sounds interesting.

Alrighty! Thank you all for your help! I might try to spend time with people. Like I said, I don't want to play alone. I clearly want to be part of a nice project, to help me learn the rope of this game and to improve myself to a point I can be helpful to new players in the future. I love this game, I mean, litterally, because it offer things that non other games would be able to give in any way. I like the design, I like the depth, I like the crafting system and I like the learning curve. As for you Kyleshandra, I was planning to go on Xanadu, and I would gladly join you. As far as I know from my short experience, people have always been kind with me and I truly like this community for this. I look foward to play in a couple days or maybe before, I will message you as soon as I know. Thank you all again for the help guys, and I hope that we'll be able to have fun altogether! See ya around :)

P.S: Sorry for the delay, I didn't pay attention, I've just finished my semester and didn't had time to get online!

Edited by Khelleyne