Sign in to follow this  
Bloodscythe

New small boat that can load a crate or two

I know its a bit much for this suggestion but while we discuss boats I figured I'd add the idea I was batting around at work today.

Boat specialization: Give each boat a size category and make it either cargo or passenger focused.

Makes each boat unique and gives a reason to try and make/use one of the larger more complex ships.

bc9a2f7eb1.png

*The barge is the name I decided to use to refer to the ship we discussed in this thread

**These values are obviously up for discussion but give a good outline of the point I'm trying to make.

Edited by Brigander
  • Like 5

Really really love your idea of the barge Brigander and happy to see others see the value in a small hauler.

• Like 1

+1 or this replica of a 3rd century cargo ship much like a Roman Corbita but smaller with a crew of four.

Kyrenia%20II_zpsxjae7c30.jpg

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 2

+1 Maybe a crew of 6-8 with about 6+ large crates

Edited by Bunnyman

+1 absolutely yes. Something about the size of a sailboat, or slightly larger, with the same shallow draft and a hold the size of a large cart would be fantastic.

I would also like to see a smaller craft, something with 1 or 2 seats, very fast and little to no cargo hold and the ability to be loaded on other vessels.

+1  I have always thought that it would be great to have a another shallow draft fast merchant ship between the sailboat and corbita that holds a large cart, plus the inventory space of a large cart (3 crates, 7 rafts, or a combination of each with a few small barrels).  It could even have the same passenger limitation as a large cart.  Like maybe a Ketch or Schooner.

The Botter would be a good model for this type of ship.  Slightly larger than a standard sail boat with some 'storage'.  I just love what you can find from Google Images these days.   :D

06-29-rd_28.jpg

I was thinking along the same lines as Dorian a Sloop or Cutter class ship.  If you wanted to make it slower than a sailboat that would be fine but historically these were very fast ships used to chase and track enemy vessels.

Mutin-cutter.jpg

Please, do not make anything slower... Sailing sucks enough.  Why not just ask for more variations of a breeze while we're at it?  Cause 3 out of 5 breezes over decent winds is just not awful enough?  :huh:

Been working on a boat tunnel and I just thought about this kind of idea as well.

A type of small cargo boat needs to exist, but to fill its role some concessions should be made.

• Make it very similar to a small sailing boat in terms of materials and model size.

Give it the same cargo space as the large cart.

Max the speed out at ~20km/h; its a cargo hauler not a speed boat.

Limit it to only being able to have 1 passengers + captain; specialize it for cargo and leave people transport to the small sailing boats.

Sounds like the cargo boats in Venice - I liked those there a lot.

Been working on a boat tunnel and I just thought about this kind of idea as well.

A type of small cargo boat needs to exist, but to fill its role some concessions should be made.

• Make it very similar to a small sailing boat in terms of materials and model size.

Give it the same cargo space as the large cart. *please include same crate capacity*

Limit it to only being able to have 1 passengers + captain; specialize it for cargo and leave people transport to the small sailing boats.

This one gets my vote. We need a small cargo watercraft for dredging, canal/cave canal work, light cargo hauling etc. Even if restricted to one Player (captain) only it would be great. As for who can use this... based on large cart so in all fairness use large cart restrictions as guideline seems fair to me (I would rather see 20.0 mind logic be minimum but I have to side with common current content here, seems large cart requirements fit).

Brash_Endeavors idea of modifying rafts is a good idea, but I fear it would alter too many aspects of how rafts are used now to be considered a "do-able"/acceptable change. I can already hear players lining up for and against on that one. (I love the idea Brash_Endeavors btw).

Edited by geode

Give it the same cargo space as the large cart.

Sounds like a plan that everyone is happy with so now the devs can start work on it.

I also love Brigandier's idea. A big giant, annoyingly large +1

• Like 1

Gonna keep shamelessly bumping this.

goat_zpsjdriquhi.jpg

Me Too!  :D

Edited by Bachus

That is a pretty looking boat Bloodscythe but I favor a simpler solution along the lines of your suggestion. Just make a rowboat able to hold 1 small crate and a sailboat 1 large one. Already have the existing boats, just need to add some minor crate carrying capacity to them.

=Ayes=

I quite agree, I'd use my sailing boat a lot more if I could load even one crate onto it!

• Like 2

• Awesome idea Bloodscythe!

Agree with Ayes, I'd personally be happy just adding a couple small crates(or 1 large) to the current sailboat if new ships are beyond current resources.

Brigander, love your ideas as well (not to mention how you presented them).  Only thing I would contest is having the same cargo for Raft and Sail boat.  I'd maybe lower raft a bit and raise sailboat a bit... minor details though.

Brash, usable rafts would be awesome for newbies!  I would personally put stringent limits on cargo.  One small barrel, one large chest, and of course 1 beach volleyball  :D

Large cart seems to come up a lot, but not knowing much about sailing boats, would a boat like that be able to carry that much weight without taking on water?  Just curious.

I was thinking along the same lines as Dorian a Sloop or Cutter class ship.  If you wanted to make it slower than a sailboat that would be fine but historically these were very fast ships used to chase and track enemy vessels.

Mutin-cutter.jpg

*Caution: Thread derailment imminent!* Unrelated note, but see that little raft being pulled along?  Been mentioned many times I'm sure but gonna say it again cuz it's right in front of me  ;)   Having a rowboat trailing the deep hulled boats so we can anchor off shore would be awesome!  *Thread derailment now over, please watch your step*

• Like 3