Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 19

Great on bridges and stairs.

As for the ships...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

There goes my fleet of beautiful Applewood ships, all  in the name of commonplace look-alike ships everywhere.

Too bad we couldn't elect to keep our old ship models... and textures.

And since they use textures, why not replace every single wood in the game with just 'wood', and replace Oak, Maple, Pine, etc, with just 'trees'. Because visually, they have no use now.

It's also craptastically bad practice to remove things NOW that you plan on replacing with another system EVENTUALLY.

Edited by Belrindor
  • Like 2

Great on bridges and stairs.

As for the ships...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

There goes my fleet of beautiful Applewood ships, all  in the name of commonplace look-alike ships everywhere.

Too bad we couldn't elect to keep our old ship models... and textures.

And since they use textures, why not replace every single wood in the game with just 'wood', and replace Oak, Maple, Pine, etc, with just 'trees'. Because visually, they have no use now.

It's also craptastically bad practice to remove things NOW that you plan on replacing with another system EVENTUALLY.

Several different wood types have unique uses, such as oak damaging slower, willow being best for bows, walnut being best for coal piles, cedar and maple being best for arrows, and so on.

Obviously we wish there was no gap between the different wood types having a cosmetic difference but waiting for the new shader system would be a huge bottleneck to the Art Devs development plans.

True, however changing the textures without a visual solution in place tends to put a real damper on my current shipbuilding plans especially since a firm commitment hasn't been made that this shader system will ever be created. 

Only complaint.. any chance we can have that sail on the knarr twisted some 30°? 

I don't care all that much about losing texture variety, but I'm curious how much of a difference it's actually going to make. I don't lag at all at our docks despite quite a few boat/texture combinations, but you can bet I lag up at deed (where almost everything is made of a single type of wood, and where everything in other people's houses despawns if it's not within a three foot radius of you). And if our past experience with the shader system is anything to go by, it seems like that'd have a much bigger impact on performance than simply loading a few extra textures.

Edited by Fawkes

Boats

We are also releasing a couple of other features in the release, the first of which is the new boat models. The boats themselves will go unchanged, but all boat types will get updated models.

Does the above statement mean that our current ships will remain the old style and only new ships that are crafted will take on the new boat model? Or are all ships going to be changed on Tuesday to the new model?

Thanks

Boats

We are also releasing a couple of other features in the release, the first of which is the new boat models. The boats themselves will go unchanged, but all boat types will get updated models.

Does the above statement mean that our current ships will remain the old style and only new ships that are crafted will take on the new boat model? Or are all ships going to be changed on Tuesday to the new model?

Thanks

they mean, that only the graphics will be changed but the new ship collision etc. will not go live with it, thats how i understood it atleast

they mean, that only the graphics will be changed but the new ship collision etc. will not go live with it, thats how i understood it atleast

ya thats what I was thinking as well, but was not sure, would be kinda nice if they left the old ships around and only new ships were the new model, would make a whole new market, and with time the older ships rare.

ya thats what I was thinking as well, but was not sure, would be kinda nice if they left the old ships around and only new ships were the new model, would make a whole new market, and with time the older ships rare.

It's another ex post facto change. Just like what happened with bsbs and fsbs. One day, texture and wood type coded warehouse. Next day log in, and homogenize city, every single thing the same. Ships will now all be homogenized in the name of a shader project that my kid will probably be out of high school when (if) it's ever implemented.

I've never seen another game where they remove beloved features BEFORE adding new ones to replace them. But hey, I'm just a player, what do I know about it? If they say it has to be this way, then okie dokie. Doesn't make it suck any less.

Smile and nod, just smile and nod.

Will mobs of any kind be able to climb stairs?

Several different wood types have unique uses, such as oak damaging slower, willow being best for bows, walnut being best for coal piles, cedar and maple being best for arrows, and so on.

Obviously we wish there was no gap between the different wood types having a cosmetic difference but waiting for the new shader system would be a huge bottleneck to the Art Devs development plans.

I did say...

Emphasis on visual. I'm aware of the other uses.

I suppose I'd just like to see some new things implemented that weren't done at the expense and removal of other things.

We got bridges. Yay for bridges. Thing is though, to be honest, after waiting this long, I don't think I even care anymore. It went from me originally having a deed planned around the concept of bridges, to totally having to rework/rethink the deed concept after the many and varied setbacks. It's like someone offering you a pack of nicotine gum after you've already quit smoking a year ago. Don't need it, already figured something else out, thanks anyway. :P

Stairs. This would rock if, and it's a very big IF, you could drive carts up it. If not, the use is fairly limited and frankly, not worth how long it's been delayed for.

Boats. I've already touched on that. I like the models. I don't like losing my boat colour. It's like upgrading my red Impala to a red Dodge Viper. (Against my will, nonetheless... No one asked me if they could alter the property I paid for, but that's another can of wurms entirely...) But painting it flat beige. No brownie points there.

But we'll get shaders, right? Right? Some year?

I mean folks like Shiraek have offered to help you with shaders HOW MANY times now? And what do they get back? The sound of crickets.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/114088-wood-textures-in-wurm-in-general/page-3#entry1257564

This makes me doubt the seriousness and/or sincerity when I hear about shaders being implemented MAYBE... sort of... some time in the future. Right up there with about how serious I take campaign promises on an election year.

All whilst the unique things that make Wurm Wurm, and which attracted me to the game in the first place, are being taken away and replaced with nothing.

But the good news is that now that this monster of a bridge project is done with, perhaps actual useful stuff will be worked on soon. Like permission revamp so people can't ninja yours stuff right off of your own deed. :)

Edited by Belrindor

My mistake Belrindor, I thought you meant we should remove wood types entirely! But now I see you mean for items like boats.

All I can really say about shaders is that it is something we have planned for the future, but please bear with us and remember that we're not some big financed game developing corporation with dozens of developers to hammer things through quickly. In part we rely on volunteers so it is good to see that people like Shiraek are interested in helping us, and they should contact our art team or Rolf if they want to help, but it is not always as easy as it sounds to accommodate.

I should also add that you can't drive carts up stairs however you can drag them. You can also use bridges to get carts to upper floors in buildings.

It may have been asked already, will ladders still be an option or will they be phased out completely?

I should also add that you can't drive carts up stairs however you can drag them. You can also use bridges to get carts to upper floors in buildings.

Can bridges pass over internal walls and roofs or do they always have to connect to an outside wall? As I understand it, they can only connect to outside walls as bridges cannot be built over structures?

Edited by sunsvortex

Can bridges pass over internal walls and roofs or do they always have to connect to an outside wall? As I understand it, they can only connect to outside walls as bridges cannot be built over structures?

As far as I know you are correct - they cannot be built over structures, but may connect on outside / edge tiles of structures.

when you plan a bridge, it checks all the tiles underneath it for the whole bridge.  Buildings cannot be underneath any part of the bridge.

After the bridge is built will you be able to build a house under it??

Will the skill requirements for bridge lengths be affected by the epic curve?

After the bridge is built will you be able to build a house under it??

Bridges and Buildings are both structures.. you cannot build structures in structures.

Do the new boat models come with that collision that was mentioned a while back, to end the good ol' days of having the boat keep going until the player hits the land?

We will be releasing the Spring Update next week, on Tuesday 12th May. We don't have a specific time set, but will aim to release as soon as we can on the day.

surprise-face-gif.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the great work, although can we get an update on xanadu lag issues?

thanks.

Hi Wosso, will the new ship models effect the painting of boats.

Thank you

Booskii