Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 19

Stairs! So civilized. Next they'll be asking us to sleep with the door closed.

jkh pretty gross

oh anduI0mQ87.png

Edited by watkins141
  • Like 2

This is huge news and a massive step forward for Wurm.  I'm eager to see the new offerings and applaud the hard work and due diligence to have it as right as it can be on launch.  Proud moment for the Dev team to come.

• Like 1

Oh my god this is the best patch news ever, many thxs guys grt work. 😆

I think this update will be the third most important update in the game since the crafting interface, and loading/unloading.

FTFY =)

everything looks good. Are we going to fly our flags on our ships?

I for one am happy that the components needed to build the items required to start bridges is complex and not easy.  Maybe this will keep bridges in the hands of responsible builders that won't deface the landscape with ridiculous bridge monstrosities all over the place.  The harder and higher the skills the better for such a landscape-changing ability.

This is mostly true, but you are assuming people with skill are always responsible :)

"With great skill comes great monstrosities"

I do hope you are correct though.

Great update. Pity people have to still complain about things that are missing. Why not just take in the good news and leave it at that for now.

Such lovely news to have an actual release date for bridges! *crosses fingers they stick to that date or all hell will break loose come May 12th*

And what great news we'll be getting stairs in the same update! Now I need to rethink some of my currently planned building projects to see about incorporating bridges and stairs.

I like the new look of the boats. Definitely a much-anticipated update to come next week! 

Looking good.

Will make sure i have things to do all day update is going on.

i figure a 7 - 12 hour update if all goes well.

Then few more hours after for bug fixes and other gremlins in the machine.

This is pretty exciting. I was so hoping the update would not just be bridges alone. Well done!

Stair rotation (and ladders) really are a must.  How else will we make our spiral stair towers? :)

yes, exists.

Confirmation of being able to drive carts and wagons up them would be nice, but I'm sure someone will report on it shortly.

No, not able. will have to do custom configurations with bridges for now.

How is visibility of knarr sailing?  No more blinding sail?  I hate having to always have an alt loaded in the front for visibility.

7Ar18fw.jpg

Finally, for wood textures, would it be too hard to make it an on/off selection in the client? Some of us may have powerful enough PCs to see the textures just fine.

Meant to be handled by shaders down the line.

OMG, TY for the knarr pic!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for those answers Jberg!

• Like 5

Is that a fantastic huge maul :o

Woot I am sooo excited to get my island terraformed so I can start making the bridges and such.  I can't wait :D and loving Hash's Screenshot of his deed :D

So, we know the month and the day of this update, but what year is it? :huh:

• Like 2

What skill do rope bridges use to determine max length? Ropemaking?

Is that a fantastic huge maul :o

Yes, old model still though. On test, so I cheated ;)

Cant locate the url for uploading screenshot of the week can someone post for me.   Thanks!

Cant locate the url for uploading screenshot of the week can someone post for me.   Thanks!

Screenshot of the Week

I thought this week we should trial a new idea for the top banner in our news posts. 

Our screenshot of the week this week is by Journeya on the forums, of a neat-looking house with some horses wearing seriously blingy barding. 

DQ1UH0N.jpg

If you would like one of your screenshots to be used in our news banner in the future, please post them in this thread. I will choose screenshots from that thread.

As with a number of newer models introduced to the game, individual wood types will not be displayed by the new textures, since they would use up too many client resources. However, we have looked into the possibility of adding a masking system, that would allow for wood types to be displayed on the newer models. It's not currently scheduled for development, but is always an option in the future.

Am I alone in preferring to keep the old models with wood textures?  I still miss different textured BSBs.  Perhaps dramatically reducing the amount of dye needed to paint boats would be a good move here?  It's not textures, but at least we'd be able to personalise our boats to some degree (since anything larger than a sailboat is effectively unpaintable, due to lack of containers).  Come to think of it, how about doing the same for BSBs and FSBs?

• Like 3

Am I alone in preferring to keep the old models with wood textures?  I still miss different textured BSBs.  Perhaps dramatically reducing the amount of dye needed to paint boats would be a good move here?  It's not textures, but at least we'd be able to personalise our boats to some degree (since anything larger than a sailboat is effectively unpaintable, due to lack of containers).  Come to think of it, how about doing the same for BSBs and FSBs?

You are not alone. Interesting how they introduce high-polygon models (which really do cause lag), and that's good, but a few extra textures are bad. I appreciate the work they are doing here for the other things, but doing all this work to remove a good old feature is not something to be happy about.

The only time I really cared about choice of wood for aesthetic reasons was when building ships. It's really, really, really unfortunate that ships are losing wood textures. It would be nice to preserve textures in ships until this other possible option comes along in game. 

• Like 1

I thought the wood texture issue was changed to generic in order easy the work load on Wurm artists. I suspect it's not as easy as slapping some old texture on the new ship models.

edit...All I care about with ships is that I can see well and that they play well with load/unload of crates. The Knarr picture I saw has so much better 360 viewing.

Edited by joedobo