Sign in to follow this  
Clatius

Clay Away From Water

Someone sometime must have put this in suggestions. 

We need clay tiles that are not by water. Inland clay, like in real life. After playing all these years I cannot for the life of me figure out why clay is only by water. Seems to me there would  be clay inland to drive population growth that way. Isn't it about time? Hmmm?

Oops sorry. Yeah so it will make quality of life better.  :rolleyes:

Actually it probably would.

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 2

You failed to mention how this was a quality of life issue. +1

Edited by Sarcaticous

I live on Bear Lake, Deliverance (pretty sure its one of the only large body's of water that has no clay) so +1 to this pls....... or if a nice GM could just drop a blob of clay in Bear Lake would work just as well too lol.

You can have 4 or more from my deed at mystic lake :P

But yea I wish there was someway to transplant/remove clay.

just grab a wagon and load 2700+ clay...?

• Like 1

just grab a wagon and load 2700+ clay...?

:lol:  That's funny. Thanks for the joke. Just grab a wagon. Good one. And if there is no wagon to drag nor the skill to build one? Poop the clay out? That's not sanitary. Really, if you have a good alternative I'm waiting to hear it. Something practical that everyone is able to do other than walk 200 tiles through mob infested lands with no road dragging a cart. +1 for Zekezor's humor.  :lol:

if you can't go get clay train up or have someone else do it.  If you can't drive a Wagon then use a cart skip crates and combine lumps you will be able to bring back more then you will need for a while.  Or if you close to water use a row boat.  Clay is not had to get 

:lol:  That's funny. Thanks for the joke. Just grab a wagon. Good one. And if there is no wagon to drag nor the skill to build one? Poop the clay out? That's not sanitary. Really, if you have a good alternative I'm waiting to hear it. Something practical that everyone is able to do other than walk 200 tiles through mob infested lands with no road dragging a cart. +1 for Zekezor's humor.  :lol:

I was talking about longterm.

If you are on about newbies just starting up their houses, then those can be made out of wood.

A forge (while not necassary) requires minimal resources and can be gathered in the inventory.

Just in general as a newbie clay isnt actually needed. campfires work fine for lowskill stuff. fountains can be made instead of wells. etc. etc.

in short:

f2p? adapt or don't settle in unfriendly terrain.

p2p? use the transports available to you.

• Like 1

Still not a good reason for a no except for 'because'. Any good negative replies other than just because? Maybe some game function problem or someone getting some unfair advantage? Anyone?

i have to take my large cart about 25 minutes to get to clay at hammer lake since i live pretty close to the center of Xanadu, i think divided resources encourages trade and travel (read interactions with others) 

besides a large cart is doable, finding bulls, horse or bison is doable, specially if you dont live near the coast.

It is important to consider the new players also. I see many posts giving the ability to make high level items as a work around for the lack of clay at inland locations. On the small servers I really don't think clay is that much of a problem. On Xanadu it is a huge problem. There are locations hundreds of tiles from water. I think on Xanadu this would be a good idea. This is not the first suggestion for clay other than that found around water. Obviously there must be a need. 

-1 --- instead make clay craftable as 20kg dirt + 1kg water = 2kg clay or something similar

• Like 1

-1 --- instead make clay craftable as 20kg dirt + 1kg water = 2kg clay or something similar

try that irl.

actually why not make mud kiln possible, make them a little less good then forges, take 2 dirt 1 dried straw and 1 water to combine in for mud bricks and make a kiln not using clay at all.

that will make people able to do more stable smelting then camp fires and give them a start without clay. once situated they can take a large cart and collect 100 piles of combined clay. 6k in one go?

thats how we do it. right now since we live 25 minutes away.

Elen is correct. Do a dirt sampling as described by Elen. After the separate components settle out you will discover that in a natural sample there is indeed clay present almost 100% of the time to some degree or another.

I have a deed on a mountaintop. It took me 5 parts of forever just getting up there with a refresh Fo priest, a tent and dieing a lot. Bringing clay up there is just not a good option. Luckily I had a builder alt I wanted up there too, so I loaded him with clay before using the one time teleport to deed. The funny thing is, I really don't need  alot of clay up there, just enough for a forge, a well looks better then a fountain, and maybe a stone altar. It wouldn't destroy regional trade letting me use some hard, time consuming way to make a few "crude clay" or mud kiln. Dried straw, mud and water are used as building material in most part of the world, please Rolf, don't force me to build a road from a 4k mountain top, just to  get a few clay every blue moon.

That being said, we can make gold out of rock with a transmutation staff, why not use the same mechanic to make clay out of sand/dirt, at the ridiculous expense it is today, for those rich enough to not being bothered with a long haul.

There's a clay patch up on a rather large mountain in a certain server.

Was also the source of much rage and drama too, and by no means the main motivator for me mentioning the patch. :lol:

Edited by Klaa

The legend continues. Now sheep wander those slopes almost in mockery

I would have been against this if there wasn't huge ammounts of clay inland in real life.

+1 this although I'm a coastal player. I bet people are against it with the logic ''they got the hunting grounds to make leather and we got the clay to make mortar and sell, why give them everything??'' or perhaps some issue coming from the pvp perspective and maybe they are right. However, I'd still like to see it since it makes sense to have clay inland.

Being able to use clay like sand and just transform the dirt or sand tiles would probably make a huge mess, maybe even used as a very easy way to grief someone (because of the speed reduction etc.).... So I agree with the transmutation idea, a money sink item that can transform 4 tiles to clay

Edited by Simyaci