Sign in to follow this  
Cyberdragon

Help a newbie's dream come true

Well, I've been playing Wurm for about 2 years. I never really learned anything from these years, you know, because of the fact that every time I'd venture away into the wide blue yonder to build myself a nice house, a bear would come and eat me. Or a troll. Or a giant scorpion.

Anyways, since inactive accounts get deleted after 3 months, that's been a real eff-up for me. My parents didn't allow me to play on my PC this year, and I will only be able to enter this wonderful game again after the 26th of June. I think I'm actually gonna buy some virtual money and some premium time. But anyways, let's cut to the point. I always saw myself as some big landlord that owns a splendid port... 

I see a wide bay, next to the sea. I see grand ships with large sails, behemoths waiting to sail the seven seas. I see stone houses, paved streets and many lamps with magnificent colours. I see a colossus, a monument to the founders of this jewel of a town. But that is merely a dream, and it will take months of hard work, blood and tears and sweat. And a lot of coin, too. I don't really want somebody to pity me, and I don't want to get a lot of money or a deed to such a big city, but I'd like to find that player, that one special player, that will always stick with me and help me build a nice little town in the middle of nowhere. Ah, that would be dandy... 

PS: Also have a few questions, I've been out for a very long time now.

1) Is Xanadu still wild? I remember that they said it's a big place. If it's still wild and remote, I'd like to set up a little town with a good buddy and pave roads between towns, you know, to develop the infrastructure.

2) Would the new Elevation server be better to colonize?

3) Can somebody please help me make my first good steps, like learning how to properly do stuff (and fight off wild animals?).

Cheers, all!

See village recruitment. You may find nice villages on PVE to get you started.

And yes your dream of nice deed and cool structures can be fulfilled if you join a village.  

if you plan to settle on xanada expect some heavy lag. due its size there is plenty of room to settle though. If you like pvp, elevation might be the better choice. And the best tip i can give you is... the wiki is your best friend

Welcome back! Without some very good skills and enchanted tools, it's pretty hard to build something on the order of a port city with one or two characters. Stories are legion of players, and groups of players, launching into grand plans that take too much work, everyone gets bored, drifts away.

Wurm is one of the few games where I feel totally fulfilled "going small."

Whatever your dreams and play style, best of luck.

I am currently living here:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/116221-glasshollow-silver-glass-resort-xanadu/

I have recently changed citizenship to the Glasshollow Market Harbor, just a short walk down the road from there, but I still have my house in Silver Glass for the time being.

The leader and I, and others, have recently worked on a major highway project running down to Vrock Landing, and we just started noticing new roads connecting to it; there is still early development and plenty of open space in the area.

We have players join for a week or two, as usual, but I can speak for my neighbors and myself when I say that we would love having a new member with serious intentions.

I have many fenced areas with cops and tons of animals if you were interested in some of that, otherwise the market harbor is healthy and active, so we should have no trouble gearing up for anything.

I will hopefully see you in Glasshollow on Xanadu!

PS: Also have a few questions, I've been out for a very long time now.

1) Is Xanadu still wild? I remember that they said it's a big place. If it's still wild and remote, I'd like to set up a little town with a good buddy and pave roads between towns, you know, to develop the infrastructure.

2) Would the new Elevation server be better to colonize?

3) Can somebody please help me make my first good steps, like learning how to properly do stuff (and fight off wild animals?).

Cheers, all!

Ad 1: There's still plenty of space on Xanadu, but it's not wild by any measure. Many spots have been terraformed and built upon and then abandoned (as is usual in Wurm, many people play the game to build something and then leave the game when they've done that). Infrastructure is pretty solid, you will be hard pressed to find a tile without a road within 100 tiles or so. :)

Ad 2: I doubt it. Elevation is a server meant for competitive PvP, from your post it doesn't seem that's your thing.

Ad 3: In Xanadu start settling in the south of the server. Xanadu has a very noticeable north-south difference in mob density. People report very few aggressive critters in the southern parts of that server.

In general: My advice would be to start small. I know, it's pretty neat to have big dreams and even bigger plans, but most people with these big plans never manage to make them come true. Set yourself small goals that can be achieved in a few days or a week. And then in a few months or half a year you can start with the big project. :)

• Like 1

Ad 1: There's still plenty of space on Xanadu, but it's not wild by any measure. Many spots have been terraformed and built upon and then abandoned (as is usual in Wurm, many people play the game to build something and then leave the game when they've done that). Infrastructure is pretty solid, you will be hard pressed to find a tile without a road within 100 tiles or so. :)

Ad 2: I doubt it. Elevation is a server meant for competitive PvP, from your post it doesn't seem that's your thing.

Ad 3: In Xanadu start settling in the south of the server. Xanadu has a very noticeable north-south difference in mob density. People report very few aggressive critters in the southern parts of that server.

In general: My advice would be to start small. I know, it's pretty neat to have big dreams and even bigger plans, but most people with these big plans never manage to make them come true. Set yourself small goals that can be achieved in a few days or a week. And then in a few months or half a year you can start with the big project. :)

Well actually, regarding ad 1, yeah, that brings back some faint memories. I remember wandering the roads in Independence. Tons of abandoned houses, canals, shacks and so on. A lot of barren hills here and there. 

And thanks for the tip on the mob density. I'll be looking for a settlement in the south, then. If my parents agree to get me a motherload of coin in my coffers, I'll set off to the north and build a nice little settlement :)).

The south is also much more developed. If 'wild and remote' is what you are looking for, 'a good challenge' in other words, then I suggest north. The mobs are brutal at first, so is crafting, but you will toughen very quickly in the Glasshollow area. There are plenty of guard towers handle difficult monsters, and you would aid the guards every time; gaining you plenty of safe combat xp. If you happen to die, respawn is just in sight.

You may hunker within Silver Glass and craft up your strength and armor before you venture out. There are plenty of resources left by the players before you.

Elevation server is in the Epic system, not Freedom Isles, so if you go there you'll have to deal with PvPrs that might enjoy destroying your harbour paradise.  Think of Elevation as a 'neutral zone' between the Epic kingdom servers, not really a place of sanctuary or safety.

From what I've heard, Xanadu does still have some areas able to be settled as the newest and biggest server though you might have neighbors not too far away at prime locations.  There have been reports of more lag going on while on Xanadu server but I've been away from it for a while so don't have personal knowledge of how it might be now.

Good luck pursuing your dream and I hope one day to come across a nice bayside harbour complex with a colossus towering over the skyline!

Welcome back! Without some very good skills and enchanted tools, it's pretty hard to build something on the order of a port city with one or two characters. Stories are legion of players, and groups of players, launching into grand plans that take too much work, everyone gets bored, drifts away.

Wurm is one of the few games where I feel totally fulfilled "going small."

Whatever your dreams and play style, best of luck.

Dunno if I agree with this totally.

I have a 53x53 deed on the side of a mountain, that I am developing as a "Citadel" kind of a deed.

Been working on it mainly solo for 2.5 years. Probably got another 5 to go :)

So its all about what you want to do and how persistent you are.............

• Like 1

If you never leave the coast this is true. If you move in towards the center of the server you can easily find huge untouched areas. If you move onto a decently sized mountain you'll probably never see another player ever.

• Like 1

Anyways, since inactive accounts get deleted after 3 months, 

Huh? They do? Since when?

Huh? They do? Since when?

Assuming they have never been premium; they have always been deleted after 3 months of inactivity provided the previous statement is true.

• Like 1

I can confirm the ad 3, in my 2 weeks on xan I have seen 5 mobs by my deed in the SE.

Still plenty of room in-land on Xanadu. There are still plenty of untouched areas, but you have to get away from the coasts and spawn points.

Myself and a buddy have our little empire in SE Xanadu at Tarsis. We started it about 8 months ago and it has build into a pretty nice deed. No colossus yet but other than that, it is not too far off from what you described. In all honesty, he and his wife have done of the building after our initial push... I don't have any pictures handy but could probably get you a couple if you are interested.

If you would like to join us down there, we would love to have you... I have several deeds I am in the process of improving and would love some help with.

As far as a bucket full of money, you can start pretty small...

1. Join us... or another friendly village to get help in getting started.

2. If you are interested in fighting, get decent armor and weapon... less than 5s if you are frugal.

3. Tools... I can spot you basic tools better than the starters and if you want to get a few good enchanted ones, you might start with an enchanted pickaxe, hatchet, saw, mallet, maybe carving knife. Those 5 are used for so many projects and if you don't go for crazy high enchantments shouldn't cost more than 5s.

So, that leaves you with armor, weapon, tools for 10s. You might add a stone chisel and a shovel to the enchatpnted group since you can make money making bricks and digging dirt.

Once you have some skills built up and decent starter tools, you can start a deed for as little as about 5s including a couple months of upkeep.

We have a villager who was a free player when he joined us and starting the first month, has been premium since by in game earnings, so it is possible :)

In any case, your best friend are CA help chat channel, wurmpedia.com, and these forums.

If you are interested in checking us out, please contact me here or in game at Abbynormal. In any case, welcome to Wurm, and have a great time!

I have a deed on deli which can be a canvas for your vision, it's sadly not on the coast line but it is right on a lake! It is also located not to far from a starter area so perhaps getting a few new players interested with the idea might be of interest. There is a good amount of empty land around my deed. And as far as some help and tips our group that we have could also assist with that. We are a chaos group of players with many deeds across freedom isles. That deed on deli is pretty much low activity and waiting for someone with a vision. Let me know,if your interested.