Sign in to follow this  
Mordraug

Limit restarts to one a week

Problem with near daily resets, it messes with many things ingame every time the server restarts.

Found horses outside their pens (fortunately i double layer my security so they're on the inner roads), sometimes it speeds up the aging of horses, throws off their gestation times, throws off harvest seasons, speeds up packing of enchanted tiles, don't try to call it "scheduled" when it's 5 times a week because it's not and great way for stuff to get lost by people who didn't make it back ondeed, people losing sleep bonus from logging off and having to head to work before server restarts, and I'm sure we could fill entire threads about other ways in which these constant random resets mess with Wurm life in general.

How about picking a day for +++SCHEDULED+++ resets we all know of and can prepare for and saving the random resets for when it's TRULY SERIOUSLY CRITICAL.

• Like 3

We did that for a time.. a very, very dark time.

• Like 1

-1 usually these restarts to to fix major bugs in the game, even if you aren't aware of those bugs.

• Like 1

Yesterday's:

• Most Valrei item prizes were split up in three with one charge each. There is only possibility for one Key to the Heavens, Wand of the Seas and Rod of Eruption each round still. One player may win more than one if lucky.
  • Should now be possible to convert to evil deities in HOTS template kingdoms.

One before:

• Fixed a bug where you were required to demolish walls when removing tiles from a building
  • Some spells were not properly checked for negative aligned deites such as Tosiek when it came to village reputation
  • Kings coffers on Elevation were balanced

Considering the critical bugs running around, eeeeh... 

• Like 2

they dont always list it, you've been playing for long enough seeing as you have 1k posts. You should know all about the invisible change log. Meaning the one they don't actually tell you what they changed.

Edited by Nicrolis

That second one was actually very critical. The kingdom was some couple gold in debt (iirc) because of a bug on Elevation.

• Like 1

they dont always list it, you've been playing for long enough seeing as you have 1k posts. You should know all about the invisible change log. Meaning the one they don't actually tell you what they changed.

Unfortunately too aware of some ninja changes..... so another reason to schedule them... allows time to DOCUMENT THEM.

• Like 1

meh I always use the 1/2 hr to do something, start laundry, make coffee go on a smoke run ect.

• Like 2

Unfortunately too aware of some ninja changes..... so another reason to schedule them... allows time to DOCUMENT THEM.

I agree 100% on the documentation part. But certain bugs need to have the restarts to fix them, asap. Those weekly resets also caused a lot of issues with lag from the servers being up so long. I remember getting on the last day of the week before the reset, and deli would have a good 1-2 second lag before an action could start. Imagine if xanadu wasn't restarted once every 2 days, that was the servers on the weekly restarts.

• Like 2

Eh, with how crappy the servers run and handle, I think there should be daily maintenance resets. Xanadu, most importantly.

Plus, I'm not gonna lie... it's also pretty nice when timing is just right so that I get 2 sets of prays for the day instead of 1.

This is really a non-issue.  Most weeks we only get 1 reset, usually Tuesday.  When additional resets come it is most often to add new features, fix a bug, or fix a fix and those will happen.  What upsets some is that it also usually happens at the same time of day and that interferes with their playtime.  Not much to do about that, Rolf and his team have to reset the servers and they have to do updates.  They will likely do that at the same time of day for themselves, so they can check the fix or update and see it is working correctly and if not fix it again.  You are not likely to get them to do their updates at different odd times, because you are asking them to sometimes do updates in the middle of the night for them.  Not a good idea for programmers to work at updates when they are 1/2 asleep.

We don't need unnecessary restarts 24/7. If the servers restart 3 times in 2 days, Its for the best. If the servers are on for 4 days, Cool. We don't need consistent restarts. We need increased timers before a reset, 10 minute is not enough.

Lets not reset and watch things go wrong.  Resets don't just happen for no reason, there is generally a purpose behind them.  Usually one hard to predict.

I believe doing this would slow the fixing down as they need to check if it is correctly fixed in order to move on other bugs

The game Dev's are the only ones to make an adequate judgment on the necessity for "resets". This is the way it should be, not us trying to micro-manage situations of which we have little insight and even less authority to do so. Let them do their thing, patience required. 

=Ayes=

• Like 1