Sign in to follow this  
Corwen

sick-of-this-crap-xanadu-lag/

I agree. It seems to be getting much worse, which is more than aggravating. One issue seems to lie in the trash hosting, from A to Z. You can always count on some lag (especially on Xanadu) and for the forums to be garbage after 11 P.M. (CST). If I were a decision maker, I would have found a better hosting solution for both applications long ago.

Edited by Macadelic

I wish it was a hosting issue, its not.  I have monitored my connection to the server and I have around trip time of 50 ping.  Which means nothing is slowing the packets down.  It has to be something internal to the server.  Mostly it has to be a delay in the servers response to restoring your stamina after you complete an action.  I don't know exactly how the flow of data works. But the client either says, hey I completed this action, can i get my stamina back and the response is slow, or its the server clock time is running so slow its adding 8+ seconds to the amount of time it takes you to complete the task.  Now if its an issue with the server code or the database code i couldn't tell you.  But something has to be the bottleneck and the best time to figure it out is when its this bad.

• Like 3

I wish it was a hosting issue, its not.  I have monitored my connection to the server and I have around trip time of 50 ping.  ...

Indeed. I live in southern Germany and I believe the servers are there as well. Connection to the servers is excellent for me, always have 30-40 milli seconds ping, even when Xanadu lags out.

You are right, ultimately, slow server response time is the culprit. The question is, what is causing the slow responses? There could be bits of code somewhere that are just fighting each other causing the delays. It could be a misconfiguration in the DB or server infrastructure. Who knows. There are so many possibilities. If you are getting steady pings to that server, then the configurations on that particular machine should be fine. But what about others in the cluster? Something is slowing down the flow somewhere. I just hope that someone can pinpoint the issue and get it resolved in the near future.

Edited by Macadelic

. But what about the others in the cluster? Something is slowing down the flow somewhere. I just hope that it gets resolved in the near future.

My ping is fine, but I am still experiencing the delay in the response from the server.  As is everyone one else it seems pretty consistent.  Just from the poll of freedom chat, i didn't see anyone say, "all good here".  So, i have to assume that the problem is with in the server or the server code.  If the server was reading that CPU and Memory was with in norms, than you can infer that something in the code is getting hung up.  If we are all saying its happening with the amount of time it takes for us to get our stamina refilling, they now have a call to the server that they can look into.  

If we are all saying its happening with the amount of time it takes for us to get our stamina refilling, they now have a call to the server that they can look into.  

This would be a good place to start. I would have to assume that it is something more than a call, as you would think that this has already been dissected. Who knows though. I am sure that the dev group has their way of categorizing the severity of outstanding issues, but IMO this one should be sitting near the top of the totem pole since it affects every action of every player (on the server), day-in and day-out.

Edited by Macadelic

I suspect it has something to do with time dilation in the internal code, judging from how the lag acted today. Perhaps there is simply too much happening on xan and its causing a ripple effect in how "time" or "ticks" or whatever its called is calculated. I don't know much about this stuff though so I am really just guessing...lol.

Steel I think your close they tested the server for size and load before they settled on a size.  the issue is things change they have uped the animal population several times and players are dumping tones of player made stuff all over the server.  I know in many games I played lag gets much worse when around settled areas as there is so much more to track and display.  Although this lag doesnt seem to be acting like that type of lag I have seen before.  I can have toons in populated area or way out to sea alone and experiance the exact same lag spikes.

Someone said it jokingly on Freedom chat but I must agree with the comment...

Premium time should also tick slower on Xanadu since everything else does.

Would be nice to get a comment from the devs. The latest info we have is over 1 month old now.

What is causing this?

I have rage slept in the evening due to Xana lag. Today packed up all the guys and travelling around the servers for days anyway, hope situation will better on Sunday. If not plan B kicks in and I'll move forward with the non-Xana tasklist :-)

The horrible lag helped me decide to attend all those slayings in the next 3 days... hope it will be better afterwards as well.. right now it's close to unplayable >_<

I've let two of my accounts run out of premium now and will probably not re-prem until this lag is fixed or least gets proper recognition and dedication from the devs.

leave xanadu, get the server disbanded and come back to the real servers. Don't pay for something that doesn't work.

Edited by FreeTineen

leave xanadu, get the server disbanded and come back to the real servers. Don't pay for something that doesn't work.

What he means by real servers is real small servers with real small areas to settle unless you fill in all of the lakes. Even at that there would not be enough room on these paved over, over developed dots of dirt and rock. That is why so few live on them. One or two lakes on Xan are as big as the land area on the real small servers. I'll take the Xan lag and hope it gets fixed over the lack of freedom on the real small servers.

Edited by Sarcaticous

They should plan to add a new server north of Xanadu that's an 8x8, like Pristine/Deli that connects to Deli and Release on both sides.

1.  Brand new land for people to build deeds on.  (Yes, I know, there's still land on inner lakes on Xanadu).

2.  A much needed solution for sailors heading west and east across Xanadu.

3.  Can leave your Xanadu lag at the border and get back to enjoying the game.

• Like 1

They should plan to add a new server north of Xanadu that's an 8x8, like Pristine/Deli that connects to Deli and Release on both sides.

1.  Brand new land for people to build deeds on.  (Yes, I know, there's still land on inner lakes on Xanadu).

Xanadu is  perfect, just fix the lag and creature spawn. 

Good solution. Another teeny tiny land that gets used up in a month. Most of the time Xan lag is very tolerable to none at all. When it gets really bad it gets really bad but not for a long time. Xan has more open land right now than used up land on all the little islands put together plus all the used up land on Xan. I live on Xan and I am enjoying the game very much. If you don't like Xan then move to a teeny tiny used up island. Good luck with all the abandoned buildings and fences and crowded deeds. It's a huge mess. Long live Lagadu, er, Xanadu. :P  

BTW, creature spawn seems to be getting better. Saw two trolls and two hell hounds in the same day. yay.  ;)

Edited by Clatius

Lag seems to have improved after the downtime yesterday.

Oh look, they moved the thread out of Town Square and into Xan sub-forum so they don't have to read it anymore! Guess that's your answer to whether they are going to do anything about the lag...

I believe that the huge cumulative 12 second refresh lag the other day on Xanadu was just a clever ploy by the Dev's to get us to be satisfied with the "normal" 2+ second refresh lag there. They caught me making a sigh of relief when that slower lag returned, that is until I realized their subterfuge.

As for returning to other servers. They each have their own charm as well as Xanadu. To have choices like this are nice options, especially if one plays on them as well when Xanadu decides to test ones patience.

=Ayes=

Anyone saying Xanadu doesn't constantly lag is lying or doesn't have experience of other servers. There are even performance charts to prove it. It's lagging so much that time is actually slowed compared to other servers.

This evening has been better than usual, only 0,2-1.5 sec lag, but still noticeable. 

I don't think lag should be one of the criteria for choosing a server Ayes, even though I agree that it is nice to have options. 

And the LLAaaaaaa...a..a.a..aaaaggg.....gggg   is back!

I sail back and forth regularly from Release....  Most of it is sailing, long stretches across the south or north border.... yeah it's tolerable there even though it takes a few seconds for my boat to turn after i pressed the key.

Second I gotta use a canal or ... MOOR.... 

Well, tl;dr ... Xanadu lag is BAD... embarrassingly bad and unprofessional for CodeClub.