Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Why do mobs spawn in deeded mines(has guard)?

Why do mobs spawn in deeded mines(has guard)?

I'm curious why mobs spawn in deeded mines where the deed has at least one guard. I like to live in mines and my priests can't kill things. I know that deed guard(s) will kill most things that spawn. It just wonder why Wurm would think its a good idea to spawn things in this case.

I bought my deed and funded a guard to craft in peace. Spawning stuff in my deeded mine is counter productive to this. There have been numerous examples in Wurm's history that proven letting mobs impose unwanted grief on deeds is a bad idea. I get some may like this siege idea. Although, we shouldn't forget that there are plenty of others who want a peaceful area and pay for that benefit.

Note, there are no off-deed mines in this case so it's not something that spawned elsewhere and moved onto the deed.

I'm not sure if this a suggestion or not. I'm mostly curious about other opinions on how things are rather than trying to convince Wurm to do something.

• Like 1

I had similar issues as a new player on mainlands, once I built a boat and settled on an island, mobs were no longer and issue. I might add that on an island deed, I needed no guard, or tower to live in peace, though, it was a relatively small island.

Around the time when Indy went live I had lived on an island in the northeast corner of it. It happen to have two or more troll mounds. It was very dangerous to go adventuring on the small island as there were multiple champs wondering around.

Now if you're on a island I can see how you'd see less migrating mobs. Although, the tiles there aren't any less likely to spawn stuff then on land. Same goes for caves.

It could be said that I could moved to the south of Xana if I want less creatures around. But we don't know what the future holds and given all the complaints about this subject I'd wager the lack of mobs there will change in the future.

Most importantly, talking about where mobs are less doesn't address the real question. I payed for a deed and guards so why is Wurm still causing me grief?

If I had the "Aggressive creatures" option marked it would make sense why stuff spawns in caves or even above ground. I don't have this checked.

You bring up a good point here Joedobo and one that has always bugged me as well. My opinion is that since these mines are on tiles labeled as deed tiles with the same permissions, that aggressive mobs should not have the capability to spawn there. As you well know however, aggros have always spawned inside mines that are totally on deed.

Possibly the Dev justification for this is that it is in another layer of the game unrelated to above ground deed tiles and can not be controlled to prevent their spawning there in the same manner as above ground. Just a guess of course but my preference also would be that if the mine is all on deed tiles that no aggros should spawn within it.

=Ayes=

another interesting question  is why do bisons, cows and deers spawn in mines? And no, they cannot wander into my mine from the outside...

Its likely mines are something that haven't gotten a lot of creature AI work. The last change I can think of is when Rolf thought it would be a good idea to instruct cave bugs to do mining actions (down, up and forward. tho they seemed to prefer down). Thank goodness that got reverted.

If we think about it, there are a lot of PvE type challenges ( or griefing depending on how you view it) the game could toss at us. For example: gale winds cause excessive damage to structures and occasionally maybe a tornado would rip through causing massive damage. Trolls would be far more aggressive and try to destroy deeded structures. They might try to cause the most "trolling" they could, perhaps breaking in to kill animals, take objects, and maybe even lay some troll traps for when you log in. There could be negatives related to cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Locus that wipe out entire crops in large regions. I sure I could go on. Many these are simply rehashes of stuff I've seen come up in suggestions forum.

The thing is, its clear most Wurm players don't want that imposed on them. I'm sure most wouldn't object if it was optional. We only have to look at how deeds function to see the desire for a peaceful area. Lets not forget all the protest anytime Wurm tries to toss "challenges/grief" against deeds, and through association, the player. It should be clear that Wurm should try to do what a deed holder wants on deeded land.

I see how challenges can can provide activities for players to overcome and triumph over. But I also know from personal experience that all of what I listed above doesn't sound fun to me at all. On the subject of overcoming challenges, I've never liked fighting but I do have 80+ fight skill and other good fighting related stats. Although, I didn't get that because I want to fight things, no. I did it because I want to be able to ignore it. Did I enjoy the journey, no. I'm still chiseling away at this idea that challenges make the game better. In my experience it is true in some cases - road construction, skill training, deed building - but not fun in cases like fighting.

• Like 1

Hello Joedobo,

Monsters spawn in mines.  It is something we deal with by working on our Fighting, along with other skills, or relying on help from others.

If you keep a Templar unchecked, so it will fight aggressive creatures, the spawns in the mine can be dealt with automatically.  Building a guard tower will let you manually call for help.  If your priest cannot build the tower, another player or alt can.

What kind of priest do you have?

If you cannot afford a deed or guards, consider joining a settlement that has those protections.  Many take new players, and would allow you more freedom for a non combat play style.

Best of luck Joedobo :)