Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

Do not deal with Ant

With things like this, it's the new folks who suffer the most. People become distrustful and nail everything down, and then new folks can't find a village or alliance, because everyone is afraid that the newbie, really isn't a newbie, but yet another of a known griefer's endless alts. Such a thing hurts the game in immeasurable ways.

While I agree that new folks get hit hard I actually disagree that they are the worst hit. As more and more of these incidences occur and are brought to light what really gets hit the hardest is the sense of community and people's willingness to be actively part of the community. As more and more calls are made to tighten privs, trust no one etc soon you have a real strong sense of distrust all around. When that happens communities fall apart and die leaving only hardened solitary hermits in their wake. With time deeds disband, buildings fall and people react to the sense of desolation. Eventually more of the remaining few leave as well.

Technical controls in the code to prevent as much of this as possible are important. Typically technical controls will always be on a reactive curve. Real world crime shows this.

Even more important to turning around this toxic direction is to apply the concept of "intent behind the rules" to the cases. If the rules are tied to technical points then loopholes are often easy to find. If instead the rules are based on key concepts "On PVE servers do not steal" then there is a lot more ability to react fluidly and correctly to new situations as they occur. The thefts at Silent Hill should not have happened. Stealing the money for Knarrs should not have happened. Stealing someone's saddles, horse shoes etc on a deed from someone's wagon should not have happened.

This new way is a harder thing to do then simple black and white rules however it's so much more powerful then those simple rules.

BTW - I don't think real PVP players are bothering with this kind of stuff. Most seem to have a sense of fairness at heart and there is no honor or fun in stealing from helpless victims who cannot strike back. Stealing on a PVP server I have been told is much like winning the lottery. Pick the lock on a boat and if you manage it then you get to discover what the treasure is inside. Of course while trying to get into that boat you are facing certain death if caught. Even if you succeed at stealing the treasure you still need to make good your escape while dodging guards etc. Risk and reward against the enemy.

The acts of those on the Freedom side who prey on others is reprehensible.

~Nappy

• Like 1

We need to integrate the WurmNSA technology to the extant WurmStasi network of invisible spooks to create a synergistic bluesky solution whereupon the the GM is automatically summoned at each instance of an item being picked up from the ground

freedom, much like jenn kellon home, is and always will be reprehensible

We need to integrate the WurmNSA technology to the extant WurmStasi network of invisible spooks to create a synergistic bluesky solution whereupon the the GM is automatically summoned at each instance of an item being picked up from the ground

Cue troll thief defending his guild in 3... 2.... 1... 

That's just clinging to straws to try to hold an unsustainable pro-thief argument.

Give me over 100k veggies and an hour to load them on my knarr I'll show you true lag without having to defend thieves.

what we really need to do is focus on these pesky thieves stealing things on a server where you cant get into locked doors on a deed, instead of devoting resources to fixing the server pooping its pants every time a fully loaded ship crosses a border

the permissions overhaul was not shelved, because it was never planned to be right away... but even when red baron teased it the plan was to do it after bridges because tich is the one who will be working on it.

Even as she has continued to work on bridges however, there has been a lot of back and forth within the staff as to exactly what and how different parts will function.

In its own way, it is a change as drastic as the bridges as far as how much of the code needs to be altered, so it really is best to get bridges out of the way first, as we will be wanting to have the permission changes on the test server for quite a while as things progress.

I have been pushing for permission revamps and upgrades for over 4 years, and I honestly think these changes will be worth the wait, but there will still be quite a bit of wait to go i'm afraid. 

How many people do you reckon you lost because they lost their stuff, or because they couldn't get a friend playing? Or people that couldn't find a village to play in? Or players that lost their deeds because even a Autocracy can be usurped?

• Like 1

I've said this before I'll say it again.... 

Are the windows and doors in your house bulletproof, blastproof, and shatterproof?

Because if they aren't and someone robs you, and you call the cops after writing this, you're a major hypocrite.

Allow me to make a better correction on your example;

Are my car windows rolled up, my car doors locked, and the keys not stored inside the vehicle or left with someone who stole it? 

Because if they aren't, especially the last two, and it is stolen, yes, it IS partially my own fault. Check out your car insurance policy sometime. 

Bulletproof blastproof shatterproof would assume that ant stole the horses by breaking something, which he did not. He stole the horses through a lapse in the owner's security, something that in real life also changes a theft situation from where the thief is completely at fault, to the owner shares the blame. 

I am not advocating what Ant did, I'm merely pointing out how if you want to compare this incident to real life scenarios, then the owner is at fault as well. 

Edited by Arronicus

Of course what Arronicus says is the new world stupidity. As if it's someone's fault that a thief took something of theirs. The new world stupidity is where an individual is not responsible for their actions because someone else did something to make their decision to do something wrong possible. Never mind that the decision to do something wrong was an act of self-determination. No. Can't have that. 'It wasn't my fault. They left the garage door open so I just HAD to steal something'. The new world stupidity.

For those who don't understand self-determination:

self-de·ter·mi·na·tion

(sÄ•lf′dÄ­-tûr′mÉ™-nÄ′shÉ™n)

n.

1. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.

2. Freedom to live as one chooses, or to act or decide without consulting others.

• Like 3

Of course what Arronicus says is the new world stupidity. As if it's someone's fault that a thief took something of theirs. The new world stupidity is where an individual is not responsible for their actions because someone else did something to make their decision to do something wrong possible. Never mind that the decision to do something wrong was an act of self-determination. No. Can't have that. 'It wasn't my fault. They left the garage door open so I just HAD to steal something'. The new world stupidity.

For those who don't understand self-determination:

self-de·ter·mi·na·tion

(sÄ•lf′dÄ­-tûr′mÉ™-nÄ′shÉ™n)

n.

1. Determination of one's own fate or course of action without compulsion; free will.

2. Freedom to live as one chooses, or to act or decide without consulting others.

Do you lock your doors at night? 

Edited by chademaster

This thread has reached the end of it's life.

*Click*

• Like 1