Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

Do not deal with Ant

I bet none of you react so strongly and in this manner if you see someone getting mugged on the street, I bet you all just walk by. Keyboard warriors eh.

Stealing is wrong, don't steal.

I bet none of you react so strongly and in this manner if you see someone getting mugged on the street, I bet you all just walk by. Keyboard warriors eh.

Stealing is wrong, don't steal.

Usually the first to demand tougher sentences and stronger police patrolling the second THEY get robbed.

I fully agree that some needed controls are clearly missing in the code. 

• Like 1

He won't Neoruger,

Apparently this guy has been conducting a nice little buisness gaining money with these " exploits (?) ". Just because he was caught this time he'll attone for this single theft. He's got no reason to repent for his past crimes. 

I am not entitled to apologize for things I am not sorry for. The reason I apologized and returned the items to these people is that they ( Gryphith ) are good people and I felt bad for stealing from them.

The reason I shared how to do this is because I want people to be safe from this ( ongoing issue in the game ). Most i don't care if they are stolen from, but there are those out there who are actually good ( Gryphith ) and don't deserve this kind of thing ( ongoing issue in the game ) happening to them.

Mordraug is one of those people who i wouldnt care if they got stolen from or not. I'd actually laugh about it.

Edited by Ant

I am not entitled to apologize for things I am not sorry for. The reason I apologized and returned the items to these people is that they are good people and I felt bad for stealing from them.

The reason I shared how to do this is because I want people to be safe from this. Most i don't care if they are stolen from, but there are those out there who are actually good and don't deserve this kind of thing happening to them.

Mordraug is one of those people who i wouldnt care if they got stolen from or not. I'd actually laugh about it.

am i the only one who feels the urge to throw up...

• Like 1

I am not entitled to apologize for things I am not sorry for. The reason I apologized and returned the items to these people is that they ( Gryphith ) are good people and I felt bad for stealing from them.

The reason I shared how to do this is because I want people to be safe from this ( ongoing issue in the game ). Most i don't care if they are stolen from, but there are those out there who are actually good ( Gryphith ) and don't deserve this kind of thing ( ongoing issue in the game ) happening to them.

It's not that you've apologized. It's great that you have. However, you shouldn't have needed to steal in the first place. Is this going to continue to happen with you? No one knows.

What does stealing get you in this case? Attention? There are far better ways to play the game. There are far more rewarding ways to play the game. If you are deemed a good person by people, you tend to go much much farther in the long run than if you steal. Stealing is for people who are weak minded who can't figure out otherwise. Plain and simple.

I hope this will be the last we hear from you in terms of stealing and I hope you become a stronger person in the end. If not, well, I hope you can figure your life out.

am i the only one who feels the urge to throw up...

You're not !

I've got an additional urge as well, allthough I'm generally not a violent person at all....

Everyone in the Freedom Isles should just put these clowns on KOS, they will get the hint sooner or later.

• Like 1

Factional Fight video at about 51 mins in they say that basically the only way to protect yourself on Freedom server, is to more or less be as 'unfriendly as possible' and put locks on everything, even your bsbs and chests and fsbs in your own houses on your own deed.

This is all a bit beyond the pale of ridiculous. Just get rid of the toxic thieving douchebags causing the problems and be done with it.

• Like 4

I'm going to but in this with just this:

Wurm is a sub-standard game, and will remain so, because devs find it more important to work on a new map for a poorly populated segment of the game than to work on NECESSARY stuff that would greatly improve the quality of life for everyone (including the aforementioned poorly populated segment), by which i mean better code to log and track item movements, so they can prove these things with some more efficiency, and most important of all, something that keeps being asked, REDOING the permissions.

Sure we want bridges, but that's a new feature... A working permissions system isn't a new feature its something that is a core part of the game that should have been fixed 5 years ago, not after bridges.

So yes, don't make friends in the game, don't add people to your deeds, don't join or create alliances. Play this Multiplayer game as isolated as possible, because otherwise you will ALWAYS incur a huge risk of losing your REAL MONEY VALUED items.

• Like 1

With things like this, it's the new folks who suffer the most. People become distrustful and nail everything down, and then new folks can't find a village or alliance, because everyone is afraid that the newbie, really isn't a newbie, but yet another of a known griefer's endless alts. Such a thing hurts the game in immeasurable ways.

• Like 1

Sure we want bridges, but that's a new feature... A working permissions system isn't a new feature its something that is a core part of the game that should have been fixed 5 years ago, not after bridges.

This is something I don't understand, especially with what happened to Silent Hill back in December and the rising problem of thieves and permission exploits..

We were teased some months ago with an overhauled permission system, just for them to shelf it in place of a feature that has become stuck in a sort of delay-limbo

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

I try not to get to involved with my own comments on these things. just liking comments I agree with or find funny.  but I think I have to add.

if someone newish stole and was green enough not to know it's wrong. and then gave back the items and said sorry, all should be good and forgiven

but if someone stole the items and posted them to sell, Hard to believe they are a newish player. unless prices dirt cheap, and keep the sale up after being confronted by the victim, I call a shady person (waiting for a GM to get involved before offering the items back = shady and hoped to get away with it. 

Hard to forgive the 2nd one,  name = tainted even after returned items.

this is a game of relationships , and trust, break that, you might want to find another game to play, unless you enjoy playing solo, or using alts to hide around with.as your really no longer welcome here.

there is always a chance to regain faith from us with a true apology and good actions for a long time, as we all know people make mistakes, (if you came here from playing games like eve online and darkfall, where scamming and stealing is normal, never played a game like this. I could see how you may think it's ok to steal in this game.  but read up. ask around to see what the community would think of you.

huge Red flag to me was Ant typed up how he does it, as he seems to do this often, this wasn't the first time, he normally brings the cart and horses back after stealing the carts contents and if the hitched animals are not worth much. quote below:

"The only thing I have done is steal items out of carts. I have never had intention to grief anyone ( locking players chests/BSB's in their own homes ) or ( digging to rock all around someone's deed that I don't like ). There are worse players out there than me. I have never joined a deed to steal stuff to bypass permissions. I have never exploited in attempt at the items you own. I have only taken unlocked carts and taken items out of them.
There are two ways of doing this.This only works with Unlocked Carts *** On Deed! *** To prevent this you *** MUST *** lock your cart/wagon.
First way: If the cart has animals hitched, you can simply drive the cart away and take things out of the cart once you drive off deed. I always put the carts back where I found them, either with or without the animals depending on their value.
Another thing to take note is that if the animals are valuable and the cart has nothing inside, you can simply unhitch the animals and the animals are automatically bound to you ( same as if you ride a horse on deed without leading permissions, you can still lead it since it is "bound to you" ).
Second way: If the cart has no animals hitched, you can lead an animal that is offdeed onto the deed and hitch them to the cart. This allows you to command the cart and drive it off deed which allows you to take all items inside. ( It is possible to load your cart and sail it off the freedom islands and onto chaos, thus switching the owner of the cart )"

On the fence of ever dealing with this person after reading that, hard to see it stopping. even with promise to GMs,  to easy to make alts and try to not get caught. only time will tell

End resault it's the players who make choices to do or not to do,  but I agree that an upgrade to the game to help prevent these issues would be great.

Edited by validate

I'd stay on it til you were gone, make an example of your sorry ass.  And trust me, it would happen.  I'm not half as forgiving as the rest of Wurm simply because I believe the should be flushed.

• Like 1

This is something I don't understand, especially with what happened to Silent Hill back in December and the rising problem of thieves and permission exploits..

We were teased some months ago with an overhauled permission system, just for them to shelf it in place of a feature that has become stuck in a sort of delay-limbo

the permissions overhaul was not shelved, because it was never planned to be right away... but even when red baron teased it the plan was to do it after bridges because tich is the one who will be working on it.

Even as she has continued to work on bridges however, there has been a lot of back and forth within the staff as to exactly what and how different parts will function.

In its own way, it is a change as drastic as the bridges as far as how much of the code needs to be altered, so it really is best to get bridges out of the way first, as we will be wanting to have the permission changes on the test server for quite a while as things progress.

I have been pushing for permission revamps and upgrades for over 4 years, and I honestly think these changes will be worth the wait, but there will still be quite a bit of wait to go i'm afraid. 

• Like 2

name = tainted even after returned items.

That is fine. It doesn't matter what you think of me. What matters is what I think of myself, and returning the items made me feel better. It wasn't to make anyone else aside from Griphyth and myself to feel better.

That is fine. It doesn't matter what you think of me. What matters is what I think of myself, and returning the items made me feel better. It wasn't to make anyone else aside from Griphyth and myself to feel better.

Still a bad deal all around that's too bad.

the permissions overhaul was not shelved, because it was never planned to be right away... but even when red baron teased it the plan was to do it after bridges because tich is the one who will be working on it.

Even as she has continued to work on bridges however, there has been a lot of back and forth within the staff as to exactly what and how different parts will function.

In its own way, it is a change as drastic as the bridges as far as how much of the code needs to be altered, so it really is best to get bridges out of the way first, as we will be wanting to have the permission changes on the test server for quite a while as things progress.

I have been pushing for permission revamps and upgrades for over 4 years, and I honestly think these changes will be worth the wait, but there will still be quite a bit of wait to go i'm afraid. 

permissions are vastly more important than bridges.  Over a year ago, I was recommending to just shelve bridges and spend the dev time working on improving game play & fixing bugs. I get how cool and exciting bridges will be, but it sucks sacrificing many needed fixes to a broken game, just to have a new toy. 

Edit: Fixes that would make threads like this go away.

Edited by Wurmhole

Apologies, I didn't mean that it had been shelved entirely, only that it had been shelved in-terms of priorities, which bridges quickly to place of, not that it has been completely forgotten about, but that it wasn't going to be worked on until bridges had made their release.

It's because of guys like this that my deed is no longer public, i used to like ppl coming through my public deed looking at the champ animals, structures etc. But because i lost a load of crates this exact same way its locked down now tighter than a nun's underwear.

• Like 1

Even with the new permissions people would get robbed let the dev team finish what they started. Dont give more excuses to delay bridges/stairs.

Besides that theres no need to side track the conversation and blame the devs. 

Thievery and scamming is relatively mild here compared to many other mmo's (Ultima Online, Archeage, EVE, etc)

I'm not saying Ant and his associates arent scumbags im just thinking the thread has gone off course.

I dont want the Bridge hype train to derail.

Edited by Killroth

Why do irl banks even have huge locks and vaults? Stealing is illegal therefore why even lock up the money?

Item security need to be coded into the game, you can never trust someone do the moral thing all the time. That is just the way humans are. 

Why do irl banks even have huge locks and vaults?

Because of Bonnie and Clyde. They never got killed. It was all fake. They are still out there. 

its gonna be really funny when they add "item controls" and then people can go around dropping .2 kg woodscraps on every tile that can't be picked up by anyone else causing massive framerate lag

That's just clinging to straws to try to hold an unsustainable pro-thief argument.

Give me over 100k veggies and an hour to load them on my knarr I'll show you true lag without having to defend thieves.