Sign in to follow this  
hoof2000

What is Notch up to....

I find it a bit odd that there was zero mention of WurmOnline, even though they touched on his prior experience.

His earlier reply to some of the haters was this gif. I think it sums it up quite well. lol

5RANKdl.gif

• Like 3

I find it a bit odd that there was zero mention of WurmOnline, even though they touched on his prior experience.

His earlier reply to some of the haters was this gif. I think it sums it up quite well. lol

5RANKdl.gif

"Some Things Are Better Just Left Un-Said"

Interesting article. Though I don't think that if I had 2.5 B I'd spend it on night clubs and stupidity... but hey... to each their own, eh? Whatever makes the guy happy.

Hiring human actors to play zombies on his private island.

especially since rolf usually mentions notch .....

• Like 3

Money changes people and Notch has had it longer then Rolf...

Edited by Nomadikhan

5RANKdl.gif

I agree. Sorta crappy imo.

I guess he is probably just way too busy ballinnn' to be bothered!

especially since rolf usually mentions notch .....

That's because Rolf has something to gain from associating with Notch, which is not a mutually beneficial association. Also Rolf said some pretty harsh things about Notch in Swedish magazines some years back that he never went out with an apology for. I'm not sure it's the reason why Notch won't give him free publicity, but it's an educated guess.

Edited by Aeris

That's because Rolf has something to gain from associating with Notch, which is not a mutually beneficial association. Also Rolf said some pretty harsh things about Notch in Swedish magazines some years back that he never went out with an apology for. I'm not sure it's the reason why Notch won't give him free publicity, but it's an educated guess.

Notch did mention wurm on minecraft.net, Which is how i got here back in 2010/2011. Not sure if its still their tho. 

Notch did mention wurm on minecraft.net, Which is how i got here back in 2010/2011. Not sure if its still their tho. 

The article in which Rolf insiniuates that Notch abandoned him was published in the fall of 2011.

Honestly I think Notch's main problemo is that he never, ever, expected Minecraft to be as big as it ended up being. He wasn't prepared for that kind of meteoric success, nor was he prepared to lead what became legions of followers. In the end, he folded and cashed out. Hey, for 2.5B, I'd have done the same.

But now he's just another rich brat who brags about how much their nightclub bills are... more than most hardworking people make in three years. And hey, he can do that. But I've pretty much lost what respect I had for him. He's pretty much turned into a drunken braggart that doesn't care about much of anything anymore and couldn't find his ass with both hands with step by step instructions.

I think the absence of any mention of Wurm in this article is very interesting. From what I remember of those times, a significant period of his life, from 2003 to around 2007-8, he was here with us developing Wurm. Though, yes, it was not his day-job (in fact the main given reason was Wurm wasn't making enough money at the time to be either Notch or Rolf's day job). It seems with this in mind it is impossible to tell the story of Notch without mentioning Wurm, or his relationship with Rolf.

From what I remember of the time Notch was with us, he was certainly the front man of the two Wurm founders. Notch was kind of the face of Wurm while Rolf, relatively quietly, did most of the server-side development.

While this takes on completely new relevance now that he is a billionaire, I remember chatting to Notch in IRC while he was here, and he was an interesting character. He had a high opinion of himself, and he would frequently make references to being part of Mensa, and he was clearly very ambitious but easily frustrated.

When he first advertised Minecraft (to members of the Wurm Community, it should be noted) I have to admit the success it was going to have was not really very obvious. As far as I could see it was just a copy of Infiniminer. For one reason or another though it did very well. I can agree that Notch probably didn't expect or plan the success Minecraft enjoyed, but I think it was something about his intense (online) personality which helped a lot.

Some people may ask why Notch doesn't Wurm along now that he is so wealthy. If he spends $180k in a nightclub, then surely he could, if he had any sentimental feelings about Wurm, easily provide Wurm with the resources it needs to really flourish. Perhaps Rolf would reject this, but I can't speak for that. My own suspicion is Wurm went off in a creative direction unlike anything Notch wanted, and so he has abdicated any attachment or warm feeling towards it...

• Like 4

I think the main reason for minecrafts success was YouTube. That is how i found the game was in a video by SeaNanners surviving the first night.. Don't get me wrong the game is good too but without the free advertising i don't think it would be where it is now. 

I think the main reason for minecrafts success was YouTube. That is how i found the game was in a video by SeaNanners surviving the first night.. Don't get me wrong the game is good too but without the free advertising i don't think it would be where it is now.

Minecraft is good game for YouTube - it doesn't matter where the player is or what he did before, you can just see results of all previous actions (without need to watch the whole series for example).

Youtube certainly helped it to expand beyond its initial popularity. I have a vague feeling that initial burst in popularity came from a Reddit post.

Youtube certainly helped it to expand beyond its initial popularity. I have a vague feeling that initial burst in popularity came from a Reddit post.

The first place where Minecraft (probably) appeared was forum for Java developers, java-gaming.org - it almost instantly became sensation there. :)

It's been about eight months since the Minecraft sale. The guy just landed $2.5 billion (minus some). He's done some development, and according to this Forbes story, dabbled in a number of other ideas. He started a company and moved into an office. He bought a house on the other side of the world. I don't think it's quite time to write him off as a layabout.

He's doing a lot of partying, which may be a way of coping with all the uncertainty and high expectations he's still experiencing. (Maybe shedding Minecraft hasn't enabled him to shed being Notch in quite the way he had hoped.)

When you have that kind of money you also get a whole new set of problems and why not enjoy yourself as you are figuring it all out.  He does not have to do anything but manage his money now and that can be harder than making it was, lol

Edited by Kegan

gets rich, turns into a bum,  meh., i also sent that dude a message, asking him why wurm isnt mentioned, even though minecraft was created based off of wurm........surelly yall never forgot that one,  he wanted a simple version of wurm lol.

Edited by fatboy

I dunno, it's nice to see someone enjoy their money and spend it.

Minecraft is pretty much the definition of a lucky break :P

The game essentially advertised and developed itself once the community got a hold of it back when it was just in alpha.

Don't know what I'd do with over $1bn, but I'd definitely spend $180k on a nightclub at least once...just to see what its like. I don't blame him for that. Buying the most expensive houses in Stockholm and Beverly Hills though when he isn't making any more money, just spending it, might not be the best idea though.

But hey, he created a 'game' that has influenced a whole generation at this point. That's gotta count for something, right?

Would be nice if he could throw $10m back into Wurm though :D

Maybe he could come and just be a player? Start a kingdom and deed a whole server.