Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

Quality of Life - A compilation of quicker implementations.

I would like to start out by saying that this topic is NOT official in any kind of a way.

Personally, I would like to compile a list of suggestions that we as a community think would increase our enjoyment of the game, and which not require major effort on the developers' side (as far as we understand it of course!). I'll start it off and add suggestions as they keep coming.

Merchants

1. Allow containers on merchants as long as they are not locked, or contain locked items. This would allow us to sell sets of items (I.E. full armor sets), dyes, lye, or simply batches of farming produce. The price set on the container would be the price for everything in it.

2. Add functionality that dumps a merchant' name, current earnings and the current inventory to a text file so community developers can use the data to make fancy tools.

Boats

1. Increase the base sailing speed by a base multiplier of 1.5-2.0x

2. New mechanic: "Lowering the sail" - makes you go a fixed (2-5 km/h) speed, irrelevant of the wind and its direction.

3. Allow vessel quality to influence the speed it travels at, even if only fixed boosts at 30, 50, 70 and 90.

4. Make rarity of boats have effects even when the boats are "full" (boats loses their rare speed bonus if passengers fill up the slots they give the boost for)

5. Allow the owner of the boat to list who is an offline passenger on the boat (you see the spirits of xxx, yyy and zzz linger on your boat)

UI / Basic mechanics.

1. Allow floating tabs other than friends list! (IRC would be a big one in this...)

2. Add a few missing keybinds, I.E: closing last opened container/trade/option window, and parts listed in this thread http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/109355-missing-keybinds-list-compilation/
  3. Number of selected items in the hover text when you have selected part of a group. This is an example http://i.imgur.com/4TCJC34.png

4. Make it so all interface commands, such as adding to crafting window and "no target"ing, are performed immediately instead of using the action queue. There are currently a bunch of actions that you can perform outside and independently of the action queue, such as casting certain spells, so this should be a minor fix.

5. Allow crates to be dragged to and from carts/wagons to boats. When you drag them it activates the load timer and moves them over without having to unload then reload.

6. Update the mailing interface according to http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/121978-improvements-to-the-mail-interface/

Let's have it, people.

• Like 32

+1 also add that we can control merchants over borders on another server... to menage them via invetory settings!

Allow crates to be dragged to and from carts/wagons to boats. When you drag them it activates the load timer and moves them over without having to unload then reload.  

• Like 7

Granted the OP is more for "quick" implementations; however, sailing speed could well be modified by some Sailing skill that has various timer actions: raising sail, tacking, trimming, etc.

Unfortunately my RL knowledge of sailing is pretty limited, so I cannot get indepth or exhaustive on the subject. Some jargon and the basics; though, that's it.

Aside from increasing speed it would also add some degree of player interaction elevating boredom. Granted even that can get tiresome after a while, having a wider range of activities we can perform while sailing would be awesome. Granted that would be a bit of work with the player positioning, and there have been some changes over time in this subject.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

+1, Makeing travel times better will be nice.

Rework Trade - we got it down to only 2 items needed and neither is big on coding, but huge on playability.

Upper Tier Workbenches for all crafts

Complete other crafts such as Alchemy ect ect ect

ROUND CONSTRUCTION - ie dome roofs, half circle and full circle walls - this simply cannot be that hard given all the other construction code thats in place.

Ship Weapons - it cannot be difficult - dont care if its a slingshot that only shoots coconuts, just some ship weapon to sink other ships

Bonuses to high skill levels  - IE  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic -  Examples

Carpentry @75 skill ((- 1 main material Bonus) Wooden walls only take 19 planks instead of 20)

Carpentry @80 skill ((-2 main material Bonus) Wooden Walls only take 18 planks instead of 20)

Do this for all skills and throw some other things in there as well. Currently skill is just useful for speed and determining limits. Why not have some bonuses for those that have achieved the higher end of the skill spectrum.

An alternative to Priests that one can play without having to give up 75% of the game.

Edited by sunsvortex

I'd like to see boats able to be towed.  Maybe with the restriction that the towed boat is empty of cargo or something.  Would make delivering boats much easier.

• Like 1

no clue about that merchant stuff, coz i dont care and understand but all boat stuff +1

• Make it so all interface commands, such as adding to crafting window and "no target"ing, are performed immediately instead of using the action queue.

It is annoying and doesn't even make sense:

[20:42:05] After meditating you will start karma.

[20:44:36] After improving you will start adding to window.

and worst of all:

[20:46:26] You're too busy.

No, I am not too busy to stop targeting something.

• Like 6

Remove lye from concrete creation. Rework the process to: combine 1 mortar and 1 rock shard creates 1 concrete. Done!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

+1 also add that we can control merchants over borders on another server... to menage them via invetory settings!

I do not believe this qualifies for a quick and easy fix, make a separate suggestion for it :) 

Rework Trade - we got it down to only 2 items needed and neither is big on coding, but huge on playability.

Upper Tier Workbenches for all crafts

Complete other crafts such as Alchemy ect ect ect

ROUND CONSTRUCTION - ie dome roofs, half circle and full circle walls - this simply cannot be that hard given all the other construction code thats in place.

Ship Weapons - it cannot be difficult - dont care if its a slingshot that only shoots coconuts, just some ship weapon to sink other ships

Bonuses to high skill levels  - IE  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic -  Examples

Carpentry @75 skill ((- 1 main material Bonus) Wooden walls only take 19 planks instead of 20)

Carpentry @80 skill ((-2 main material Bonus) Wooden Walls only take 18 planks instead of 20)

Do this for all skills and throw some other things in there as well. Currently skill is just useful for speed and determining limits. Why not have some bonuses for those that have achieved the higher end of the skill spectrum.

An alternative to Priests that one can play without having to give up 75% of the game.

I believe your suggestions, while nice, are a combination of not quick fixes and too big changes that'd majorly impact game play. I would personally not list it on a quick and simple list.

I'd like to see boats able to be towed.  Maybe with the restriction that the towed boat is empty of cargo or something.  Would make delivering boats much easier.

I'll add it, but I'd like your input on the limitations of this suggestion first; I.E. only being able to tow two magnitudes smaller boats at  30% speed loss, or something similar.

• Make it so all interface commands, such as adding to crafting window and "no target"ing, are performed immediately instead of using the action queue.

It is annoying and doesn't even make sense:

[20:42:05] After meditating you will start karma.

[20:44:36] After improving you will start adding to window.

and worst of all:

[20:46:26] You're too busy.

No, I am not too busy to stop targeting something.

Added to the list.

• Like 1

+1 Well thought out quick suggestions as always

Huge +1 for being able to lower the sail to park a boat, god how retarded that is currently.

Would also love to see a little more detailed info on the merchants detailing who bought what for how much. Currently restocking a merchant takes a good hour or so cross referencing tool lists with what the merchants have for sale to figure out what even sold.

I like the boats +1, but going faster can cause issues with syncing you with server

Edited by Hazeknight

Making colossi have a faith bonus to the domain it is. eg vyn colossus in vyn domain.

Basically, I'm about making items have a purpose other than looking nice. Obelisk could have a bonus of some type too, perhaps enchanting bonus?

Edited by Milosanx

Been asking for years:

Increase boat decay (I do not sell boats)

However boat decay is incredibly slow, it would help the database a bit with long since abandon boats.

And help out shipbuilders with more opportunity for business, this skill is in a slump and could use a simple boost like this. A small boost to the economy as well,

Remove the mail count on items, it serves no purpose but causes players grief in the long run.

It would increase the coffer money a bit?

• Like 1

GUI improvements

- http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/121978-improvements-to-the-mail-interface/

Mechanics/Functionality

- Don't limit the amount of items you can drag from one crate to another. Crates are annoying enough as it is even without the drag limit based on your body strength. It's just a big waste of time in a game where people are already so pressed for it.

- Cool lumps automatically when dragged into a BSB. The time consumption should be when you gather the material, i.e. the time it takes you to actually grind mining. Having a task take more time than it needs for the sake of it doesn't make the task worthier, it just makes it take more time.

Boats

- Allow crates to be unloaded from ALL seats. In some ships you have to jump out of and embark as passenger to be able to unload...

- Allow the boat to be dragged even if passengers are logged out in them. I'm sure this functionality makes sense on a PvP server but for PvE it's just an annoyance when you need to bring friends and alts along that don't want to afk for 8 hours and lose all nutrition.

• Like 5

Added to the list.

So it seems my suggestion did not make your list while you were updating it but it has received one of the highest number of likes. What qualifies as to what gets added to this list only what you think is good? I think it would be best to either not compile a list or at least look at what is being voted on and add the popular ones. 

Even a simple reason why it was not added/skipped over would be a good start. 

So it seems my suggestion did not make your list while you were updating it but it has received one of the highest number of likes. What qualifies as to what gets added to this list only what you think is good? I think it would be best to either not compile a list or at least look at what is being voted on and add the popular ones. 

Even a simple reason why it was not added/skipped over would be a good start. 

sorry, scrolled over it! added :)

Been asking for years:

Increase boat decay (I do not sell boats)

However boat decay is incredibly slow, it would help the database a bit with long since abandon boats.

And help out shipbuilders with more opportunity for business, this skill is in a slump and could use a simple boost like this. A small boost to the economy as well,

In what way would this add to your quality of life?

Remove the mail count on items, it serves no purpose but causes players grief in the long run.

It would increase the coffer money a bit?

It is this current way at the moment to prevent "safekeeping" items in the mail system with no decay. I do not believe we can get a change on this.

GUI improvements

- http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/121978-improvements-to-the-mail-interface/

Added to the list

Mechanics/Functionality

- Don't limit the amount of items you can drag from one crate to another. Crates are annoying enough as it is even without the drag limit based on your body strength. It's just a big waste of time in a game where people are already so pressed for it.

There are workarounds for this, hold shift + enter and you can drag very quickly without having to click accept each time.

- Cool lumps automatically when dragged into a BSB. The time consumption should be when you gather the material, i.e. the time it takes you to actually grind mining. Having a task take more time than it needs for the sake of it doesn't make the task worthier, it just makes it take more time.

There are a workaround for this technically, as I'm sure you're aware. But for them to ignore heat on the materials (and set it = 0 when you put it in the system to prevent issues later down the line) would really make sense.

Boats

- Allow crates to be unloaded from ALL seats. In some ships you have to jump out of and embark as passenger to be able to unload...

There were talkings about a new interface for loading a while back in a Q&A, but I haven't heard anything more of that this far.

- Allow the boat to be dragged even if passengers are logged out in them. I'm sure this functionality makes sense on a PvP server but for PvE it's just an annoyance when you need to bring friends and alts along that don't want to afk for 8 hours and lose all nutrition.

Boats can be dragged with offline passengers?

Making colossi have a faith bonus to the domain it is. eg vyn colossus in vyn domain.

Basically, I'm about making items have a purpose other than looking nice. Obelisk could have a bonus of some type too, perhaps enchanting bonus?

I don't know how this would add to your experience - would it be an additional faith bonus? Would it be better? Worse? The same? Please expand.

I like the boats +1, but going faster can cause issues with syncing you with server

May need to scale down at the higher speeds then (say, cap it at 40 or 45 km/h), this is mostly targeted at the lower speeds, from my end :)

I'm aware of the workarounds, but the workarounds do not add to the enjoyment of the game imo. And no, boats cannot be dragged with passengers being offline in them. I've had many obnoxious problems with this when getting stuck on mountainsides.

Edited by Aeris
  • Like 1

Faith bonus - you've spent all this time building a colossus dedicated to a certain god, so you get additional faith on top of that of your altar.

Also, with boat speed, using the horse shoe speed tiers is a good idea. boats would only get a small increase, it's not about making them Jetboats, but giving shipbuilders a reward for having high skill. So a QL 90 boat would be pretty speedy. A speed cap would be good though.

Edited by Milosanx

1. Allow vessel quality to influence the speed it travels at, even if only fixed boosts at 30, 50, 70 and 90.

Make rarity of boats have effects even when the boats are "full" (boats loses their rare speed bonus if passengers fill up the slots they give the boost for)

-1 to these. They make rare boats yet another requirement. Boats would become like horse gear where it's all about rarity and ql, not to mention the tiered system is absurd and makes it worse.

I'd be open to seeing ql affect boats the way rarity does now but possibly to a lesser extent, although this could cause problems when stacked with rarity (ie. 1 man going full speed on a sailboat would be broken).

+1 to the rest.

Also, fix the synchronization issues.

I do not believe this qualifies for a quick and easy fix, make a separate suggestion for it :)

I believe your suggestions, while nice, are a combination of not quick fixes and too big changes that'd majorly impact game play. I would personally not list it on a quick and simple list.

For trade -  I built a POC in 5 hours in C# with data calls wrapped in AJAX -- double that time due to Wurm being in Java - 10 hours-- thats no time at all in coding

The others are also quick and easy time wise - -

Lets define quick and easy -  are you looking for time based quick and easy - or -  items that minimally impact gameplay --

If your looking only for items that minimally affect gameplay yes then none of my suggestions should be on such a list.

Just a quick edit - If your only looking for items that are minimally impactful, doesnt that only constitute busy work for the devs? Granted polish is nice, but with Rolf talking about Steam doesnt it make more sense to get a list of items that contain things that would help with player retention, items that have a high ROI, the biggest bang for the development buck -so to speak? Items that have the possibility to meet and improve current players QOL as well as coforming to new players expectations?

IM not trying to undermine your efforts here at all, polish is nice, its always welcome, but we just lost one dev, im thinking that dev time is just simply better spent on impactful items.

Ultimately though if all you want are low impact items then just delete my posts in this thread as they will only serve to detract form your efforts and that wasnt the point. Ill do another thread.

Edited by sunsvortex