Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Character skill decay - old age

I know there has been a bit of resentment from folks that alts get passed around and never die.  I personally like it, as a way for folks to quickly get to doing what they love, if they don't have the tolerance for the grind.  I'm one of those people.  Heck, I skipped school and went right to the work force, because I saw no reason for the book grind.  Wurm is no different to me.

However, I do understand where folks are disappointed in old alts just living forever and keeping it hard for new players to ever catch up.  So here is a "destined to be hugely unpopular" idea, let's have skill decay based on age... and lack of use.  It is important to make it a factor for both.  Age alone should not drop skill, if a player is actively improving/using those skills.

However, if an alt becomes idle AND is 3+ years (2+? 4+?) old, maybe the higher skills start to decay.  I know with my alt army, I am often leaving a few alts on ice, as I focus on other projects.

What most games do, that Wurm doesn't do, is continually up the max skill limit.  That kind of system enables new talent to rise to the top and surpass the old legacy accounts that hit the top and went idle.  I don't see that happening in our skill system, so maybe we need to look at alternative methods to allow skill balancing for the new players that work their butts off to achieve the top ranks?

This would be a bad system for me and I'd probably have to sell off half or more of my alts, but in the spirit of helping those that need hope for being the best at something some day, maybe this is needed?

For those that need to take a break from the game for extended periods, there would have to be some vacation mode option to help preserve, but it would be void if the character did not return within a certain time limit.

Is this just crazy talk?

Skill decay

Unused skills will start to decay over time. Skills will only decay when they are above 70. Skill decay does not kick in within 24 hours of using that skill.

Decayed skill points are re-gained at 3x the normal skill-gain rate.

Being a citizen of a settlement can reduce the skill decay. The older the settlement, the smaller the skill decay. The info screen at the token of a village can tell you how much the skill decay reduction of that settlement is. It is displayed near the alliances information.

You mean like that?  Nooo, it was removed a long time ago, I don't want to see it back.

• Like 1

-1 I don't like it.

Wurm is grindy enough IMHO.

I didn't realize we used to have the skill decay. If it was removed, this post is quite pointless, lol.

Please close.

• Like 2