Sign in to follow this  
bwg

Interview with CEO of Code Club AB

http://blog.xsolla.com/2015/04/22/interview-with-ceo-of-code-club-ab-developer-of-sandbox-mmo-wurm-online/

One piece caught my eye...  I'm definitely in two minds about a Steam release.  For Rolf & Co it could be great, but I'd definitely want to lock up my horses and deeds a little better than they are now.  I remember a Independence Golden Valley invasion from a certain website which I'd hate to see repeated.

Exciting times ahead!

What does the future hold for Wurm Online? How do you intend to develop and promote the game in the future? Are you planning to enter Steam? Are there any plans for creating other titles?

We’re currently finalizing the code for constructing bridges which has been a very long project. After that we will start adding more general content such as decorative items, various animations and monsters as well as fixing some long standing bugs while we think of what the next major step should be. We’re considering some sort of Steam release but we have no other titles planned – we need to stay focused on Wurm since it will be around for a long time still.

Edited by bwg
  • Like 3

yes, I saw that and also have mixed feelings.  I think I would rather have the invasion to shake things up.  It would have to not only be available through Steam, but get some marketing on Steam, so folks would see it.

There are many ways that it could be done successfully, especially given everything we learned from the 'invasion' (although a great number of those invaders ended up becoming pillars of the Wurm community....eventually).  An isolated server or server cluster similar to Pristine and Release (or an alternate Epic cluster for PvP) for example, that would protect legacy servers from the omergawdpeople and still be integrated into game wide travel and trade at some point.  Rinse and repeat as needed.  And of course the continual efforts of the developers to tighten up player security options and granular permission settings that simply didn't exist during the era when all those nice folk suddenly found Wurm. :)

• Like 10

id love this .. if there would be a way for me to use my steam wallet to pay for prem instead of the current setup id save alot of money

the extra players might be nice aswell but meh steamwallet prem is more exiting imo

Course game development is big in Sweden... long, LONG periods of being regularly snowed in. :P

Granted there are other fun ways of passing the time... and keeping warm :ph34r:

EDIT: Personally I didn't mind the "invasions" (aside from the crashes and lag), new people to rob interact with is awesome, regardless of the numbers.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 6

My roommate went to check this out and called me into the room saying, You're not going to believe this!!

My house on Affliction is in this! =D  (With the two HoTA statues Stone/Timber house) 

Made me really happy to see that! I put a lot of work into that house with outter/inner decor. 

However, it was an interesting read none the less once the excitement had passed =)..

• Like 1

This reminds me - a few years ago there was another interview with Rolf. It had a picture of Rolf at his desk, and on his desk was an entire loaf of sliced bread that had been taken completely out of its wrapper. Does anyone have a copy of that?

Edit: I found it. The bread was actually wrapped. Everything about my life has been a lie. http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/36139-rolfs-desk/page-2

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 1

oh did you mean the bashur invasion?

better lock up your children :^)

• Like 5

I worry about how the Steam user reviews would turn out, given our lovely game's sometimes wonky compatibility and rocky newbie experience and ...

Then again, maybe this would encourage CodeClub to tighten some things up.

id love this .. if there would be a way for me to use my steam wallet to pay for prem instead of the current setup id save alot of money

the extra players might be nice aswell but meh steamwallet prem is more exiting imo

The problem with Steam is they would probably take 75% per transaction, so either silver prices would go up or CC would have to take the hit in exchange for more players.

I'm hoping the Steam idea is only as content delivery and not for micro transactions.

keeping wurm as small as possible, is the best solution. This game is not going to succeed with a million players.

I worry about how the Steam user reviews would turn out, given our lovely game's sometimes wonky compatibility and rocky newbie experience and ...

Then again, maybe this would encourage CodeClub to tighten some things up.

The reviews themselves are wonky and rocky, imho. I've seen bad reviews just for no reason other then "To hard" or "wont work" that to me is no review at all but, it marks it and counts for some reason. 

If Wurm goes Steam im hoping that Golden Valley will be opened to those new guys. Good server for them to mess it up and zero butthurt to real Wurm players.

A few problems I see:

1. Steam isn't as prestigious as it used to be; it doesn't really mean anything anymore with the amount of crap that goes up there.

2. The game really has a LOT of bugs and balance issues that should be fixed before making it more public.

3. The newbie experience is still really hard, and I think most people wouldn't expect that and would quit, then spread bad news about the game.

4. Thank God for Jim Sterling, but if he reviews this game... Wurm dies.

• Like 1

A few problems I see:

1. Steam isn't as prestigious as it used to be; it doesn't really mean anything anymore with the amount of crap that goes up there.

2. The game really has a LOT of bugs and balance issues that should be fixed before making it more public.

3. The newbie experience is still really hard, and I think most people wouldn't expect that and would quit, then spread bad news about the game.

Hey now... Steam still has good games, Its more prestigious tho when a game actually leaves early access. As that is a rarity nowadays.

• Like 2

oh did you mean the bashur invasion?

better lock up your children :^)

The older invasion most likely, those did invade, but damn, they accomplished some serious stuff (on golden valley back then to, when you still either spawned as MR or JK), and I by the looks of it, allot of them actually stuck around and are some of the best accounts atm.

But yeah, Rolf needs to get a very reliable serverhost and has to get rid of serverlag if he wants to launch this game on Steam.

A few problems I see:

Yeah, you can get a "New Release" on Steam these days that is 10 years old. It's new to Steam but it's hardly new. 

The game stutters at times, well a lot of the time, with 50 people on the server. A dragon fight with 75 people was a 1 frame per minute extravaganza. Wurm's servers are not ready for 10,000 new players. Sorry, they just aren't.

• Like 1

Bwg , right forgot about that. ugh its probly going to be alot more expensive then *pulls hype train emergency brakes*

• Like 1

Wurm is in no way ready for a mass audience like Steam: the code cannot support it, the server architecture cannot support it, the game mechanics cannot support it and the company called Code Club AB cannot support it.

I think the bashur ones were quite tame in comparison to earlier invasions

• Like 1

I remember a Independence Golden Valley invasion from a certain website which I'd hate to see repeated.

I was actually referring to this, I just got my servers mixed up.

Edited by bwg

what is 4chon?

it was Awefull to say it in a Civilized manner...i was there at the time on the Home servers.. it started on Golden valley, but quickly Spread towards the 2 home servers.

Jenn-kellon Home and Mol-Rehan Home.