Sign in to follow this  
Countess

Offline Messages to Friends

Hey,

I have recently noticed that some of my friends, who aren't using the forums and live in a different time zone, rarely play at the same time as me. However, there are often things to be said. I understand why offline messages aren't allowed to random people, but it would be great if we would be able to offline message friends, who would receive the message whenever they get back ingame, in order to let them know some important things.

If there is a feature like this implemented, I am not aware of it and apologize for wasting your time. If not, then yep, the suggestion stands!

• Like 2

On way of leaving messages is to use papyrus sheets - made from reeds and a press - using a reed pen and ink from an octopus sac, squeezed using a fruit press, or black or blue dye.

The price of sending papyrus notes was reduced massively from the usual cost to encourage this kind of thing I believe - afterall a player will receieve a notification that they have mail waiting. This would also work to non-friends of course.

People have used renamed items dropped on the ground, or signs in the past. Things like Message of the Day in village and allaince can be used in some circumstances, but I reckon the papyrus thing is your best bet.

• Like 1

Of note, any dye will do in a reed pen and it takes very little. Also, unless you want to write something long, not much skill is needed. It's far better than the days of old "log mail" Hordern referred to. :-P

Papyrus sheets are not a very good solution to this problem as they are not easily accessible by everyone. (IE if you live inland away from the coast)

A much better way is needed and it shouldnt cost an iron to do so. 

• Like 1

Papyrus sheets are not a very good solution to this problem as they are not easily accessible by everyone. (IE if you live inland away from the coast)

A survival game comes with obstacles.  That's why I have a well on the top of my mountain.

Wells wont grow reed. Its communication  - it should be easy. Wurm isnt a survival game, its a sandbox.

• Like 1

http://www.wurmonline.com/   Explore | Build | Survive

Wurm is many things, but first and foremost it is a survival MMO. In Wurm you must struggle to survive....

http://www.wurmonline.com/   Explore | Build | Survive

Wurm is many things, but first and foremost it is a survival MMO. In Wurm you must struggle to survive....

To be honest, Wurm is survival game only for first few days after starting (assuming you live alone or with other newbies) - once you know basic game mechanisms, surviving is not any challenge at all.

• Like 2

Front page of Website

Wurm Online is the MMORPG where the players are in charge! Developed around the idea of player influence, it remains one of the only Sandbox MMOs worthy of the term.

Nothing about survival there - I can quote too :)

And like Warlander said any survival aspect wears off pretty quickly once you get a grasp on the mechanics.

Ingame communication, especially leaving messages to offline people could really use a revamp. It shouldnt cost anyone anything, Wurm isnt a cell phone company.

Plenty of ways to do it, (thats accessible to everyone easily)just need the will to do it.

Edited by sunsvortex

Ingame mail is a joke. There should be a flashing icon somewhere to alert them, Not some lame text that nobody will ever see.  We should be able to send messages to friends, And if they don't log for 24 hours, It should automatically be emailed to them.  This way we could find missing villagers too.

that is a horrible idea eyerobot.

anything "bigger" and easier to use than a papyrus sheet can easily be abused for harrassment (calling targets is easy) - and on top of that emailing someone out of a game, are you serious?

If you want to see if you have mail, you must physically be at and look into the box to check; the text you recieve as you log in is adequate. You would not 'miss' the mail text because if you were already online, and had an active and flowing event window, they would just get your attention in the chat window.

You may opt-in for offline messages simply by creating an account on these forums.

A much better way is needed and it shouldnt cost an iron to do so. 

Suggest wood pulp paper under natural substances. :-)

• Like 1

I don't understand why sending offline messages aren't just like any other form of chatting where we use the chat box. Mailing in game letter is about as antiquate as it is in real life. When you log in a flashing chat box should show just like it would if you get a pm. I think papyrus needs real use and how they are use now is too much work for nothing.

Added +1

Edited by Lupe

At first Eyerobot's idea seemed good, but as Kaih raised up the harassment problem, I can see it turning very nasty.

If everyone was a nice person I'd see this working great and would help on business and catching old lost friends.