Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 18

week18.png?dl=1

Hey everyone!

It's a very short news post today with no major feature announcements or previews. The team has once again been working hard all week on improving bridges up to at least 90ql... at times it is boring and potentially soul-destroying work for the developers. But we know by the end that all their hard work will be worth it and bridges will be super amazing!

With that, here's the news in full!

Bridges

I know that many of you are excited and eager to find out what the release date for bridges will be. Originally we planned to release bridges in mid-April but now of course we are in the first day of May so it is clear there have been some delays on getting bridges out. However, I am happy to say that the release date for bridges will be announced on Friday 8th May, with the actual release being shortly after that date. We have an internal deadline set already so this is not an open-ended delay.

I hope it doesn't seem weird that I am announcing the release date for our release date but I want to make sure everyone knows where we are.

The main reason for the delay, as can be expected, is our aim to make sure bridges work as well as possible, with full functionality, when they are released. This week the developers, as they have for several weeks past, have been continuing to straighten out some rough edges in the bridge code. We are also trying to make sure that all existing features of the game work with bridges from day one. This includes pillar spells, carts, mounts, etc. 

As in last week's news, we encourage anyone interested in testing bridges to join the test server (click to launch). If you experience any bugs there please report them to us!

Map Dumps

This week we have created two more map dumps for everyone to enjoy. These are for Release and Pristine.

Over the next week or two, we expect to release the final three map dumps for Affliction, Serenity and Desertion.

You can see all of the map dumps we have released so far in the official map dump thread.

Screenshot of the Week

I thought this week we should trial a new idea for the top banner in our news posts. 

Our screenshot of the week this week is by Journeya on the forums, of a neat-looking house with some horses wearing seriously blingy barding. 

DQ1UH0N.jpg

If you would like one of your screenshots to be used in our news banner in the future, please post them in this thread. I will choose screenshots from that thread.

That's all for this week, until next time...

Happy Wurming!

• Like 14

Awesome and ty for the maps!  I love the "release date for a release date". Made me chuckle.  However, seeing devs trying to release someone with the bugs worked out in advance is a nice change, rather than ninja releases like we are used to.

• Like 1

This feels like another way of saying 2 weeks.  Which i feel like is the new running mantra for bridges.

• Like 1

The mapdump is great! Thanks! It even shows my oak trees in my yard. haha

I know I don't speak for anyone but myself, but thanks for not releasing bridges until they are completely ready. To me, it's better late and working than on time and broken. 

• Like 3

Are we getting anything else with Bridges, like I remember hearing they were reworking permissions.  What happened with that?

Very much appreciate the "release date for the bridge release date" :) Nothing wrong with that.

I'd suggest Rolf & Team take the advice of Montgomery Scott aka "Scotty" and always inflate any expected timeframes. ;)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9SVhg6ZENw

aka "Scotty Factor" or "Scotty Principle"

Edited by Tuanta
  • Like 3

Are we getting anything else with Bridges, like I remember hearing they were reworking permissions.  What happened with that?

I noticed something already with the friends list, being able to add them as contacts, etc, maybe that's the start.

Its the next thing on my list, once bridges have been released.

• Like 8

About bridges: 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khTntOxX-k

• Like 8

Its the next thing on my list, once bridges have been released.

WAY more important than bridges in my opinion :)

what is with staircases and rotation floors?   and txt on large signs?

Once again, thanks for the updates, Wossoo. And tell the developers that we are very proud of their work with bridges. They can just think ahead to our collective joy at their release, to ensure they tedious bridge debugging work doesn't get them too down.

• Like 2

Keep up the work on the bridges!  :D

I cant wait.

Fret not Devs, theres always the subsequent QQ and further debugging after release... *cruel chuckle*

Whelp, given that it would be silly to give a date to announce the release date for bridges, I think it's fairly safe to say it WON'T be the week after, as that would just be pointless. Hopefully before June though?

That is one mighty fine screenshot! I loved it so much I had to save it into my "inspirational wurm pics" folder. Well done to the maker of that shot and whoever decorated that area like that :).

What about Stairs? Any news on when we might see them also?

OOOoooOOOooo!!! Pristine map dump! I can see my deed! :D

Also that screen shot is awesome. I'm really digging that sign placement to make it look like its hanging on the tree.

Quite glad you guys are taking your time to make bridges right and awesome.

One thing I would suggest, no more release dates. It just gets people birtching and moaning that isn't out yet. Where as if we suddenly and unexpectedly just had a bridges one day, people would flip.

• Like 1

Whatever...I think i'll let my premium expire till bridges are actually in the game.  I'm tired of this ever changing release date.  And maybe I won't care then either.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to stop reading these updates until after bridges are released. If I wanted to see a bunch of grown adults crying for no reason, I'd watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

• Like 10

Yes, what about the staircases?
Are they also buggy still?