Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Artifact balancing

Haha, looks like nosyt lost all his tact over the years...

Like Gary said these artifacts put up against normal weapons are just useless. Before they were nerfed, the damage they did off set the long swing timers and low chances to hit, making them appear to be over powered (not to mention the false information given to Rolf by the people who didn't have them...).

They are simply not worth using now, I can use a huge axe which does the same damage as an artifact, but hits much quicker.

The other artifacts I have found in my kingdom, are not worth using just because of the risk and pain of recharging them every week to use them. They aren't useful enough to risk 300e+ worth of gear to recharge them every week.

I really hope Rolf puts up his thread about te changes because currently a whole feature of te game had been nerfed out of the game by the forum warriors.

Don't go out in 300e worth of gear..

&

Drop them all off at the front doors of Comm if they are not worth using.

Silly Red, seems like she doesn't realize where the artifacts resided for most of Wurms existence.

The artifacts didn't use to be rare/supreme/fantastic weapons, they didn't have any enchants and were only 90ql. All aspects of the weapons were worse than player made weapons and a few loud voices made sure Rolf didn't do anything to improve them. The same faction recently acquired the artifacts, after the long time owners simply tired of maintaining useless artifacts, and immediately lobbied to have the weapons buffed in typical Wurm fashion to the opposite extreme.

I simply find it amusing that the artifacts are now toned back down (still far better than they used to be as they are now rare/supreme/fantastic, higher ql, enchanted) and you are complaining even though you never wanted them buffed in the first place.

• Like 3

Artifacts are still OP imo and need to be toned downed and tweaked again. Make them reset each 2 weeks time, makes it fair for everyone. And makes it more fun to hunt them. Put them on a troll king each time they reset.

Silly Red, seems like she doesn't realize where the artifacts resided for most of Wurms existence.The artifacts didn't use to be rare/supreme/fantastic weapons, they didn't have any enchants and were only 90ql. All aspects of the weapons were worse than player made weapons and a few loud voices made sure Rolf didn't do anything to improve them. The same faction recently acquired the artifacts, after the long time owners simply tired of maintaining useless artifacts, and immediately lobbied to have the weapons buffed in typical Wurm fashion to the opposite extreme.I simply find it amusing that the artifacts are now toned back down (still far better than they used to be as they are now rare/supreme/fantastic, higher ql, enchanted) and you are complaining even though you never wanted them buffed in the first place.

You seem to be putting words in my mouth.

You also seem not to remember the course of events so let me help you.

JK owned all the artifacts after Lo got banned, and at some point Madt emailed Rolf for a change on the artifacts to make them better. This set of changes came with a cost, the cost was to maintain them by recharging them at the reletive lights. I was 100% for making them more useful at the cost of making them harder to maintain and keep, and to add in a system were they cannot simply be hoarded in a village for years sitting doing nothing which gave no real opertunity for ther people to use them.

Thus came along the recharging system, which while it has it's flaws, allows enemies to either prevent the other from recharging, or setting traps for when they do come (which has actually proven to work).

Now fast forwards a few years and my kingdom has had more or less 70% or more of the artifacts since tey respawned when PMKs were put in. You keep saying that a "choice few" have been pming Rolf to get them buffed and our real only agenda was to make then better because we had them, but isn't that the exact same thing you did to get them make better origionally?

So with the new changes (the ones you say we cried to Rolf to change where Infact he made a post asking what can be done to make them better) made them fantastic and put nimbleness on them so that they hit more accurately.

Fast forwards a year or two and MR have clocked more time using the artifacts in two years than the 7 years or so they have existed purely because we didn't want them sitting in a chest gathering dust just like other did for years. There was then a perception that the artifacts were overpowered.

Whilst I agree they should be changed, I simply do not agree with nerfing them. Whilst they needed damage toning down and crits taken away, they needed quicker swing timers, unique abilities, and greater hit chance.

Balance is what is needed for artifacts, otherwise tey are just pointless to use. What Rolf has done is made it so they will no long be used, mainly due to the fact the kingdoms which own them won't take them out into PvP and will just keep recharging them to spite their enemies.

I look forwards to Rolf's promised thread with balancing the artifacts.

Weren't artifacts already balanced removing critical hit, teleporting and changing their recharging?

I guess they are fine now. Also the last pvp events on Chaos seems to be more fun since this change. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Bare with me, as I am not trying to take sides here.

I've lately had the chance to play a bit with the sceptre of ascension and scale of libila. So I'll try to give some non biased information. As far as I can be non biased. ;)

I simply find it amusing that the artifacts are now toned back down (still far better than they used to be as they are now rare/supreme/fantastic, higher ql, enchanted) and you are complaining even though you never wanted them buffed in the first place.

This is partly true - the artifacts are fantastic, but aren't higher QL. They're still 90.00, unless you meant the effective QL due to being fantastic. :)

The sceptre deals some nice damage, I can't deny that fact. However, it is not unique in the amount of damage it deals. It can be compared to a high quality huge axe with a nice damage enchant (FB, FA, RT - make your pick).

Thus it's nothing special so far - however - being one handed so you can still wield a shield and protect yourself is a benefit over other weapons.

If I was to rate the sceptre on a scale from 1 to 10 (1 underpowered, 10 overpowered) I'd probably go with a 4.

It would be nice if the 'Use' function on the sceptre wasn't bugged and cast aggressive phantasms on yourself though. :P

The scale, a 90 Ql fantastic medium metal shield. It doesn't need buffing at all if you ask me. It's just nice.

The drawback here is that it is a medium shield and barely anyone skills that one up, but that is a player choice and no reason to change it to large shield or anything.

If someone wants to make use of the scale in pvp he'll have to skill it up.

Jesus, here we go again.

Putting aside who cried more to get what buffed, etc etc (since I'm sure it comes down to a few members in each kingdom rather than the entirety of any), lets just discuss the artifacts themselves objectively.

Myself, miniroll and Tommty tested the three melee weapons extensively.  Currently both the sword and the scepter do the same damage (counting the combined physical and fire damage from the sword).  The hammer does less, but obviously it has LT instead of RT/FA.

The hammer and scepter both have terrible hit chances and glance a lot.  Typically in fights when wielding the hammer, even before his neft, I used my longsword more as it has reliable damage output.  Now, I can do more damage over time than the hammer using a decently enchanted glimmer longsword, simply because it hits faster and hits more reliably.

Currently, the only advantage to the hammer and scepter is that they hit hard for a 1h weapon when they do hit, so they still do reasonable burst damage.  The sword however is pathetic now, and easily outmatched by a glimmersteel 2h weapon.  

The orb of doom is pointless.  50% chance to die instantly, or 50% chance to maybe do wounds to enemies around you, but at the cost of needing to be so balls deep in the enemy force you'll possibly die anyway.  All for the low low cost of 1/3 of the max charge it holds.

The eye can now see through people with nolocate cast on them - but it still gets stopped by nolo rings.  Nolo'd myself and used the eye 5 times, and was never able to locate myself. So really, it's just as meh as it was before.

Mouth - is still okay tbh.  Just a pain to recharge it frequently, but that's not a bad thing, especialy since it's capped at 2 uses a day.

Ear - the charge cap on it is a pretty massive debuff, and if you're using it effectively, you need to charge it every couple of days.

Charm - again, could end up recharging it every few days.  Was meh to begin with since you can just grind up taming, but really not much affected by the changes.

Finger - Fine as it is, as it was before and for as long as I can remember.  Probably one of the least affected by these changes.

Rod - Much better now that the weight was reduced.  Just wasn't worth carrying an extra 5kg that could lead to your horse hitting the weight threshold, but now its good.

Crown - proper face protection, about time.  Probably one of the more balanced artifacts with a non-arti equiv.  The weapons should be balanced in a similar way IMO.

Scale - Still a good shield; same as the crown it's better than a non-arti version - and the charge cap stops you from spamming zombies with it.

So really, this update was a mixed bag.  The charge reduction was a nerf overall affecting every artifact.  A couple were buffed on top of this, making them actually useful without being silly OP.  The eye is still pretty useless, the ear and charm less useful, and the orb is just a joke.  Be nice to see more tweaking done, and in some cases complete reworks to the functionality of the artifacts to make them useful and worth actually using.  Those that have non-arti counterparts don't necessarily need to be straight up more powerful, but they shouldn't just be the same either.  If they're not stronger, they should have some useful utility to them to validate their existance.  Hell, replacing some of the artifacts with alternatives would mix things up - even something as simple as a bow that has the min-range of a shortbow with the max-range of a longbow would be pretty cool, IMO.

Artifacts no longer deal critical hits.

Why?

Because on Chaos, when you raid a deed, you have one side sitting outside a gatehop, and one side sitting inside a gatehop.

The side sitting inside a gatehop jumps in and out of the gatehop hoping to land a critical hit that just oneshots the other person, they will do this until their numbers are wittled down to the point where they can wipe the other group with ease, and then proceed to go on the forums and scream "we are good at the game".

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

What chaos was that?  JK never really used the artifacts, and MR have hardly defended since we got them.  No need to make up to justify nonsense.

They no longer crit because Rolf was looking for quick fixes rather than actual fixes.

• Like 1

What chaos was that?  JK never really used the artifacts, and MR have hardly defended since we got them.  No need to make ###### up to justify nonsense.

They no longer crit because Rolf was looking for quick fixes rather than actual fixes.

lol sick joke m80

Because on Chaos, when you raid a deed, you have one side sitting outside a gatehop, and one side sitting inside a gatehop.

The side sitting inside a gatehop jumps in and out of the gatehop hoping to land a critical hit that just oneshots the other person, they will do this until their numbers are wittled down to the point where they can wipe the other group with ease, and then proceed to go on the forums and scream "we are good at the game".

Edited by Forwards

So let me get this straight...

Artifacts are back to the way they had been for a decade when you insisted they didn't need to be buffed. Now you would like Rolf to restore them to an OP state you convinced him they needed to be, when you first got your hands on them?

Sign in to follow this