Sign in to follow this  
Argustin

Digging bug(bugs that instakill you) - whos fault is it?

Really just leaves a sour taste in your mouth. It's rather obvious that the fault of your death lays with poor code and the server, the real problem is that CodeClub believes it is acceptable to deem player loss at the hands of faulty code to be good business practice, which it most certainly isn't. This is akin to being at an amusement park, the ride you are on crashes and you lose 25,000$ due to medical bills, which neither your medical plan or the park will cover due to a real life equivalent of a bug (the ride system failed).

The last time I died while digging was when November last year. I instantly filed a support ticket and after some wait Enki finally arrived. A friend of mine had the same problem weeks earlier and was fighting with the team to get a res stone and skill re-reimbursed. However for some reason he was not able to make his case clear enough to the GMs he dealt with that the fault was not the connection on his end but indeed lay with the Wurm servers (Which have been complained about soooo many times now for being notoriously unreliable).

I quickly spoke to Enki and directed him straight to the topics outlining the problem without me having to go through the effort of doing it myself (at the same time showing that I was not an isolated victim). After sending the links Enki promptly refunded my skills and gave me a res stone. This IS the precedent set and I strongly advise all players to push for this precedent Firmly, clearly and concisely with as much detail and information as possible (Though don't over do it as it just muddies the water).

At the end of the day the lag graphs are not an accurate way to measure the servers effect on the players and ultimately it is the games fault if you die from fall damage while digging. As such is is only fair to expect compensation.

I will include the conversation with Enki below for reference.

[12:01:06] <Enki> Hello, GM responding to your support call 31718.

[12:01:13] <Emoo> o7

[12:01:15] <Enki> how long ago did this occur?

[12:01:41] <Emoo> Abouuuut 2 and a half hours ago according to my logs.

[12:02:03] <Emoo> I filed the support more or less right after I'd respawned.

[12:07:32] <Enki> hmm  the lag graphgs show no lag

[12:08:39] <Emoo> The lag is remeniscant of the server lag players have been reporting problems with on the forums for months.

[12:11:17] <Emoo> I can direct you to any number of threads about it including threads in which I've posted saying that I've suffered from the problems.

[12:11:27] <Emoo> If that is nessicary lol

[12:11:30] <Enki> please do

[12:11:40] <Enki> its time I started pointing the devs at it

[12:12:13] <Emoo> Yup one min. I know there was one on town square awhile ago I posted in.

[12:13:04] <Emoo> Tis the most recent one I belive.

[12:13:46] <Emoo> As the other players int he thread report randomly my connection to Wurm (Nothing else) will lag like crazy.

[12:15:56] <Emoo> I was wrong this is the most recent report.

[12:16:17] <Emoo> I know it's been reported numerous times before anyhow.

[12:16:44] <Enki> jsut a minute

[12:17:02] <Emoo> o7

[12:39:04] <Enki> okay will get you your skill back one sec

[12:39:58] <Emoo> Cheers mate. As Logi probably reported because I was digging on my deed the reported skill loss on my Medium metal shield is only .025 but the FS is the one I'm worried about as that regardless is the

[12:39:58] <Emoo> full .25

[12:40:22] <Emoo> Great cheers mate :)

[12:40:28] <Emoo> Thanks for your time.

[12:40:57] <Emoo> Oh

[12:41:05] <Enki> thanks for showing me those...  solved anotheri ssue too

[12:41:17] <Emoo> Yeah Kernal sent me a PM haha

[12:41:25] <Emoo> Oh you set my Medium metal to high

[12:41:53] <Emoo> was only a .025 loss because I was on my deed. (My original report was incorrect.)

[12:43:57] <Enki> OH

[12:44:32] <Emoo> I'm really not worried about that small of a skill loss so just set it back the .25 you just added. .025 is like 2 ticks and wouldn't take much to get back.

[12:45:05] <Emoo> As I told Logi the .25 loss to FS was my major concern as at 95+ that's weeks worth of skill heh.

[12:51:15] <Emoo> Great cheers mate, thanks again.

[12:53:11] <Enki> you are welcome

ADDITION:

I also remembered this again happened to me previously while I was raiding an enemy deed back in August. Same thing occurred I died whilst digging after the server began refusing my connection. I relogged using a proxy and was dead. Iirc I requested in my ticket that I be moved to a closer respawn instead of having to sail back halfway across the map to continue leading the raid. However the ticket took about 6hours to be responded to and by that point I was doing HoTA. Enki merely asked me to show him the location of where I died on an alt (Which I did) he used his GM wizardry to look up the action preformed on the tile couldn't see anything that should have resulted in my death and again refunded my skills and res stone.  

[11:42:55] <Enki> Hello, GM responding to your support call 31275.

[11:43:07] <Emoo> Hey mate

[11:43:17] <Enki> and what do you expect me to do about that?

[11:43:23] <Enki> I mean.. its dirt afterall?

[11:43:37] <Emoo> Replace my resstone and my skills >.<

[11:43:43] <Emoo> Raid is long over now :P

[11:43:44] <Enki> ah

[11:44:03] <Enki> I dont; suppose your corpse is still at thel ocation so I can verify it?

[11:44:29] <Emoo> No we buried it at the location to prevent...embaressing locates lol...

[11:44:51] <Emoo> Would the tile give the hiestory logs of me dying if I could point you at the correct one?

[11:45:19] <Emoo> history*

[11:47:55] <Enki> show me the exact one

[11:48:45] <Emoo> Doing the HoTA one Emoo atm hang on will find an alt to run over there to show you

[11:49:07] <Enki> okay you cna focus on HoTA first

[11:49:11] <Enki> I sitll ahve other cases

[11:49:26] <Emoo> It's alright I itll take me 2mins

[11:50:36] <Emoo> Okay tweleport to "Legoinare"

[11:51:00] <Enki> k

[11:52:02] <Emoo> Tile he's stood on right now was the tile I died on.

[11:52:48] <Enki> okay I am examining it one minute

[11:52:52] <Emoo> o7

[11:55:16] <Enki> you died here about 6 hours ago?

[11:56:00] <Emoo> Whenever the support came in I lodged it when I respawned.

[11:56:19] <Enki> yep

[11:59:39] <Enki> well  alright...

[11:59:47] <Enki> I see nothing else there to cause it

[12:00:15] <Enki> will replace your res stone when you are safe

[12:00:45] <Emoo> Okay cool thanks

[12:01:30] <Emoo> And my FS and Masonry skils (Other skill loss is in low skills.)

[12:01:42] <Enki> k

[12:02:19] <Emoo> Cheers alright well I'll send you a PM when I am out of PvP situations.

[12:02:47] <Enki> probably be tomorrow, I am half past passed out, but I have left the info in the ticket if another Arch comes along

[12:02:59] <Emoo> Alright no problem.

[12:03:11] <Emoo> Send me a message tommorow when you get online.

[12:03:42] <Enki> ok

[03:42:21] <Enki> Hello, GM responding to your support call 31275.

[03:42:27] <Enki> are you at a safe place yet?

[03:42:41] <Emoo> Yeah mate

[03:43:38] <Enki> resurrection stone correct?

[03:43:43] <Emoo> Yup

[03:44:00] <Emoo> and then just the .25 FS and Masonry should get me back on track :)

[03:45:24] <Enki> done

[03:45:36] <Emoo> GReat thankyou very much :)

[03:45:50] <Enki> you are welcome

GM on a CM acc? Hmm, from what I know people on the team are never to share their password with anyone. Anyway, hope you get reimbursed. It's not more than right!

It was probably a GM but not on his/her GM toon. It just shows up as a CM then.

• Like 1

It's rather obvious that the fault of your death lays with poor code and the server, the real problem is that CodeClub believes it is acceptable to deem player loss at the hands of faulty code to be good business practice, which it most certainly isn't.

- The server cannot trust the client to be presenting accurate data. Lag can cause packet damage as well as loss, leaving the server to fill in the blanks has side effects.

- Terrain is and will always be a complex issue. A bug in a complex mechanic is a complex bug, even if the solution is simple.

- The game as a whole may very well have expanded beyond the current capacity to maintain it. Certain issues that may be seen as important by the players but do not actually prevent gameplay can and should be moved down the queue (This does not mean throwing more people on the team would help)

There seems to be a pretty big push by the community to get more done of better quality in less time. Up to three of these people are even relevant in being able to fix this particular issue. They are working on bugfixes. They are working on bridges. They are working on pvp balance. They are working on a buttload of stuff. Bigger games that can afford such an expense give each of these things whole teams for handling these issues and those teams have the luxury of being able to say "Nope, can't be done. Lets go home".

For all the complaints and "easily" fixed issues that come up, terrain handling really reaaally should not be one of them. Code Club says no to the userbase less than most game companies with a web presence of some description. If you can get a reimbursement for a bug related death, great! But please, please keep the comparison of work away from dieing or being maimed. That cuts way too deep into people you should recognize as your champions.

So as seen above people do get reimbursted. So how come i did not? Maybe make it easier to GM-s and make a rule if this certain bug is or is not to be reimbursted. I know SoTG_is_OP is a troll and have nothing to say, so i am gonna ingore his commet as i did not ask anything else then my 0,25fs and resstone back, things i directly lost. But i also asked for future, if i would die again then i should ignore it? Lose stats and just take it?

So as seen above people do get reimbursted. So how come i did not? Maybe make it easier to GM-s and make a rule if this certain bug is or is not to be reimbursted. I know SoTG_is_OP is a troll and have nothing to say, so i am gonna ingore his commet as i did not ask anything else then my 0,25fs and resstone back, things i directly lost. But i also asked for future, if i would die again then i should ignore it? Lose stats and just take it?

Might be best to just contact Enki, asking about it in the thread will just get the thread locked/deleted and your plea ignored.

Might be best to just contact Enki, asking about it in the thread will just get the thread locked/deleted and your plea ignored.

i did actually ask the GM to forward this to Enki. When i logged in i got this in my support:

Appeal posted for review of GM team/ Enki:  Appeal denied, no reimbursement  - nothing to support loss was due to Wurm Servers

and that raised the question, if the loss was due to Wurm Servers then how is it my fault? Or the fault is not mine, but no one cares enough to deal with it? (I am not badmounthing Gm-s or trying to show them in a wrong light, if somehow anyone feels that i did, i do apologise for that)

Edited by Argustin

i did actually ask the GM to forward this to Enki. When i logged in i got this in my support:

Appeal posted for review of GM team/ Enki:  Appeal denied, no reimbursement  - nothing to support loss was due to Wurm Servers

and that raised the question, if the loss was due to Wurm Servers then how is it my fault? Or the fault is not mine, but no one cares enough to deal with it? (I am not badmounthing Gm-s or trying to show them in a wrong light, if somehow anyone feels that i did, i do apologise for that)

PM Enki on the forums.

GM on a CM acc? Hmm, from what I know people on the team are never to share their password with anyone. Anyway, hope you get reimbursed. It's not more than right!

That would be a GM currently taking a ticket on one of their player accounts, not their GM account, like me taking a ticket on Hord rather than Epiphron.

• Like 1

It's pretty simple and at the same time it's not simple at all.

Like Zerocool says we're a small team still focusing on developing the game. After ten years you could argue that we should focus more on existing bugs but we do that all the time. Kill bugs are scary things and we go to lengths in order to avoid them. There is code in place for avoiding digging deaths but apparently it still happens. They may become less common with the changes coming with bridges but if not we'll have to investigate further.

We can't have a policy that says we reimburse for client or server lag or connectivity issues. Both the server, the client and the network will lag out at times. It has to be expected even though we constantly improve both server and client performance. We could end up in a reimbursement loop we'd never get out of and most probably people who exploit such a system would be the real winners. If we have reimbursed a situation due to lag it was more or less a mistake or an extreme situation. I am not aware of the specifics of the case but it really is against standard reimbursement policy.

Due to our extreme development situation with few developers trying to solve a large number of issues while still developing the game in order to reach our overall goal of a full fledged fantasy sandbox mmo/virtual world problems have always been expected. We solve bugs as we go and often while developing new features we revisit old code and bugs get sorted in the process. This is why we have a very restrictive EULA. You're not supposed to spend more money on the game than you accept to lose for any reason. We go to lengths to avoid losses and over the almost ten years we've been in business I think we've proven that we protect and respect your accounts in Wurm pretty good though.

What constitutes fair reimbursements can be argued ad nauseum. No situations are the same and it can take days to figure out what really happened which would steal time from other development that benefits everyone. It has to be decided on a case to case basis and every case is aired. If there is suspicion of favoritism involved it is investigated and heads may roll.

Movement is usually controlled by the client like in almost every game on the market. We do extensive verification server side - I dare say a lot more than the large majority of multiplayer games out there if not even the most because we verify every step you take. This is true even for sailing where it is a bit exploitable if you create client side lag and quickly sail forward. We will look into doing something about that even though there is still risk that you run into problems you can't react to if you do. Moving on land is less sensitive because you usually can't see where you will end up and the risks should outweigh the benefits.

Basically we try to be extremely fair in that nobody is reimbursed because the alternative is full reimbursements all the time no questions asked due to the immense work load investigating cases would mean. There are situations we feel is our fault, limited and pretty obvious (which does not include server side lag) and a player has lost a lot or a group of players are affected. Then we may decide to reimburse in case it doesn't affect development too much. Time is often spent better fixing those bugs if that makes sense or how should it work do you think?

• Like 6

That would be a GM currently taking a ticket on one of their player accounts, not their GM account, like me taking a ticket on Hord rather than Epiphron.

I must be getting old. ;) I somehow read it as a GM was on a CM account owned by someone else.

It's pretty simple and at the same time it's not simple at all.

Like Zerocool says we're a small team still focusing on developing the game. After ten years you could argue that we should focus more on existing bugs but we do that all the time. Kill bugs are scary things and we go to lengths in order to avoid them. There is code in place for avoiding digging deaths but apparently it still happens. They may become less common with the changes coming with bridges but if not we'll have to investigate further.

We can't have a policy that says we reimburse for client or server lag or connectivity issues. Both the server, the client and the network will lag out at times. It has to be expected even though we constantly improve both server and client performance. We could end up in a reimbursement loop we'd never get out of and most probably people who exploit such a system would be the real winners. If we have reimbursed a situation due to lag it was more or less a mistake or an extreme situation. I am not aware of the specifics of the case but it really is against standard reimbursement policy.

Due to our extreme development situation with few developers trying to solve a large number of issues while still developing the game in order to reach our overall goal of a full fledged fantasy sandbox mmo/virtual world problems have always been expected. We solve bugs as we go and often while developing new features we revisit old code and bugs get sorted in the process. This is why we have a very restrictive EULA. You're not supposed to spend more money on the game than you accept to lose for any reason. We go to lengths to avoid losses and over the almost ten years we've been in business I think we've proven that we protect and respect your accounts in Wurm pretty good though.

What constitutes fair reimbursements can be argued ad nauseum. No situations are the same and it can take days to figure out what really happened which would steal time from other development that benefits everyone. It has to be decided on a case to case basis and every case is aired. If there is suspicion of favoritism involved it is investigated and heads may roll.

Movement is usually controlled by the client like in almost every game on the market. We do extensive verification server side - I dare say a lot more than the large majority of multiplayer games out there if not even the most because we verify every step you take. This is true even for sailing where it is a bit exploitable if you create client side lag and quickly sail forward. We will look into doing something about that even though there is still risk that you run into problems you can't react to if you do. Moving on land is less sensitive because you usually can't see where you will end up and the risks should outweigh the benefits.

Basically we try to be extremely fair in that nobody is reimbursed because the alternative is full reimbursements all the time no questions asked due to the immense work load investigating cases would mean. There are situations we feel is our fault, limited and pretty obvious (which does not include server side lag) and a player has lost a lot or a group of players are affected. Then we may decide to reimburse in case it doesn't affect development too much. Time is often spent better fixing those bugs if that makes sense or how should it work do you think?

Ty for the reply. So now i atleast know that the main ruling will be No and there is a small chance that it can be reimbursted. I do appriciate the answer and also the fact that you took time and explained it. Thank you Rolf! About the exploits i am sure alot of people might find a way to abuse it, but i think asking for the 0,25 fs and resstone that was active at that time is not something impossible or outstanding to ask. Well anyway, off to a trader for a new one i will walk. And maybe spend a few days hunting to get the FS back.

Rolf, does the server keep death logs? Like, whenever a player dies, save a log of the last 10 damage events received with timestamps, player coordinates and the damage source listed. Deaths due to bugs should usually stand out in such logs and it would make it super easy to investigate the cause of death. With enough information saved in the death log, it would also be a valuable tool for debugging.

Just to clarify something..

You seem to have misunderstood the response in the support ticket, which is understandable (we only have so much space to type and it got shorted a bit)

The response meant:  The team, including Enki, reviewed your request for reimbursement and decided that there was no evidence to support that the death and related loss of items was caused by anything on the wurm servers. 

In other words, it was not due to a server side issue, and so is not eligible for reimbursement. 

You seem to have misunderstood the response in the support ticket, which is understandable (we only have so much space to type and it got shorted a bit)

The response meant:  The team, including Enki, reviewed your request for reimbursement and decided that there was no evidence to support that the death and related loss of items was caused by anything on the wurm servers. 

In other words, it was not due to a server side issue, and so is not eligible for reimbursement. 

ty for clarifying.

You're not supposed to spend more money on the game than you accept to lose for any reason. 

WOAH.........

Time is often spent better fixing those bugs if that makes sense or how should it work do you think?

Xanadu would like to have a talk with you, and in the next room is another bunch of us with a financial hole left by an unusable Xanadu.

I've been thinking about this a bit, and I guess my issue is that this isn't really a lag issue.  Lag happens, even for the best-developed, most perfect online game in the world, simply because there are so many separate links between the player and the game.  I get random lag from time to time, and it's not a problem.  Lag is to be expected, in the same way that I expect to get randomly rained on occasionally in real life.

The problem is that there are situations where a normal, simple thing like lag can lead to a completely unexpected death, through no fault of the player, with the loss of invested time, and all the lack of fun that entails.  If the bug or underlying issue isn't easy to fix, or at least to prevent happening until it can be fixed, that feels like a game deficiency to me.  I can only imagine that if this happened to me, and I lost 0.25 FS, when I'd spent a huge amount of time getting myself to 90 FS, I'd be marginally miffed; if I was told, "sucks to be you, we could do something, but it's too difficult", I'd be really upset.  If it's too difficult to fix the problem, and it's too difficult to tell whether someone is faking it, then perhaps adding some extra logging around deaths caused by this to make it easier to see would be a good interim solution?  We always hear about how the game has such clever protections to catch macro'ing, and how you're constantly keeping those up to date - how about spending a little bit of that time, skill and expertise on making it easy to see when a deadly bug has smashed up someones enjoyment of the game?

Ultimately, I'd like Wurm to be the best game it could possibly be.  In this case, I think the call that has been made is wrong, and it detracts from the game in a serious way.

Edited by Pandalet
  • Like 2

WOAH.........

Xanadu would like to have a talk with you, and in the next room is another bunch of us with a financial hole left by an unusable Xanadu.

This is entirely untrue. While there are lag issues at times referring to it as unusable is simply hyperbole. For the most part Xanadu works just fine. It's the extreme lag spikes that can be frustrating at times. Lately it has been working well. 

Also, considering compensation. It's difficult to get that from any mmo game company. There are always some who get some kind of recompense. But it is not common. 

This is entirely untrue. While there are lag issues at times referring to it as unusable is simply hyperbole. For the most part Xanadu works just fine. It's the extreme lag spikes that can be frustrating at times. Lately it has been working well. 

Every time i've been there it's 3-5 seconds before stamina regen kicks in... that's unusable in my book.  Xanadu386.

Also, considering compensation. It's difficult to get that from any mmo game company. There are always some who get some kind of recompense. But it is not common. 

You guys really are blind to it.....

Stamina should not take anymore than 2 seconds to tick. Any more and there is "lag". This lag is consistent on Xanadu. 24/7.

I still don't get how this bug can still exist after so long. Why doesn't the game for example remember the last 3 instances of you taking falling damage since you logged on? Then if it tries to give you falling damage again, it can first check whether the last three times that you took falling damage was on the same spot as where you are now. If this is the case then don't assign falling damage.

• Like 1

You guys really are blind to it.....

Stamina should not take anymore than 2 seconds to tick. Any more and there is "lag". This lag is consistent on Xanadu. 24/7.

All depends on how many are on. This morning was around 200 and for four hours there was no lag. Stamina regen was 2 seconds. Overstating a problem does not get it fixed but instead clouds the issue. Sure there is lag. At times horrible. But lag seems to depend on load. It is not 24/7 or 7/24 nor is it 168 hours a week. 

I still don't get how this bug can still exist after so long. Why doesn't the game for example remember the last 3 instances of you taking falling damage since you logged on? Then if it tries to give you falling damage again, it can first check whether the last three times that you took falling damage was on the same spot as where you are now. If this is the case then don't assign falling damage.

We just got insight into that. Rolf mentioned positions are tracked very specifically. The higher precision you use in programming, the more likely a comparison between those two numbers is to report that they are not the same. They may be close enough for our interests, sure, but the program doesn't share your scope. Tom Scott covers this really well.

So lets just say we approximate. We store your past 3 ouchies. Assuming that the server even decides you were in the same spot for all 3 of those incidents (remember, we are changing the geometry of the ground when we dig) we have to tell it to round or otherwise shave off some of that precision, usually by changing to a less specific variable type. You have just introduced a potential bug. What happens if I say, managed to build a super bouncy pit by making two ridiculously high walls against each other and jump off the top? Maybe I get hurt 3 times and get a stamina regen and no more damage as i bounce (bug), maybe I fall through the world due to our temporary placement precision patch (bug), or maybe our stopgap fix never executes at all because a truncated floating point is still a floating point and we didn't actually fix the problem on a large enough scope to matter.

We can keep patching and patching this scenario forever and maybe never come to a solution. However, each new fix eats development time and introduces new, unforeseen consequences.

Sorry, its none of my business really, but i'm really curious about how you reach that conclusion.

I imagine he died from fall damage from the dirt removed while he lagged (which needs to be a considerable amount for someone to die (i've fallen from 200 slope while raising and only got bad bruises, so to die i'm guessing at least a 300 slope, which takes a while).

So looking at the logs, you probably can tell he didn't die from attack, he didn't suicide, he died from fall damage caused over a X amount of time (i'm imagining he didn't lag for 10+ minutes it would take to dig 200 dirt). How can you rule it anything other than a bug?

I think its important to clarify the thought process brought in these rulings, because for someone looking from the outside, its really hard to understand.

Do understand i have no involvement in this, except for really hoping to see Wurm reach a decent pattern of quality in Costumer Support and Player retention.

How can you rule it anything other than a bug?

Your quote says caused by anything on the wurm servers. The client isn't on the wurm servers. client bug =/= server bug. The client inherently can't be trusted to function as intended. They did due diligence to make sure the server functioned as intended which has a much more manageable scope. Making sure the client functioned as intended is a much bigger deal.