Sign in to follow this  
Argustin

Digging bug(bugs that instakill you) - whos fault is it?

Hello,

Frist of all i will start this topic about explaining the bug.

If you and someone else dig on the same corner and you by chance get a lag there is a bug that can instakill you. Now this is rather known bug to GM-s and it has not so far been fixed.  I did happen to run across this bug and after dieing to it, losing a resstone and skills including 0,25fs and some body i filed a support. The person answering me was a GM on a CM account who told me that the skill and resstones are not to be reimbursted. If i die to a problem with a game (lag - Server, client lag) i am the one to blame? Or is Wurm a game where there is bugs known to GM-s, devs and they decide to not change nor reimburst those deaths? I know that people has gotten reimburstments in the past for this bug and i am interested, how this works. Who gets reimbursts, who makes the decision and based on what are these decisions made?

Now you might wonder why am i asking this? I actually found the fact that dieing to bug from game is my fault. If its not my fault, then why am i the one who is losing something. Now as i am above 85 fs then gaining the 0,25 FS is not that fun and just losing 5s on a resstone is also some monetery value lost. Addition to that i was lucky and died on deed, but if i would have died in the middle of nowhere just because lag..I might have lost much more.

If there is a guidline how it is dealt, maybe it can be written here so we, as the players, will know if this is up for reimburstment or not.

• Like 2

Hello,

Frist of all i will start this topic about explaining the bug.

If you and someone else dig on the same corner and you by chance get a lag there is a bug that can instakill you. Now this is rather known bug to GM-s and it has not so far been fixed.  I did happen to run across this bug and after dieing to it, losing a resstone and skills including 0,25fs and some body i filed a support. The person answering me was a GM on a CM account who told me that the skill and resstones are not to be reimbursted. If i die to a problem with a game (lag - Server, client lag) i am the one to blame? Or is Wurm a game where there is bugs known to GM-s, devs and they decide to not change nor reimburst those deaths? I know that people has gotten reimburstments in the past for this bug and i am interested, how this works. Who gets reimbursts, who makes the decision and based on what are these decisions made?

Now you might wonder why am i asking this? I actually found the fact that dieing to bug from game is my fault. If its not my fault, then why am i the one who is losing something. Now as i am above 85 fs then gaining the 0,25 FS is not that fun and just losing 5s on a resstone is also some monetery value lost. Addition to that i was lucky and died on deed, but if i would have died in the middle of nowhere just because lag..I might have lost much more.

If there is a guidline how it is dealt, maybe it can be written here so we, as the players, will know if this is up for reimburstment or not.

if you know how to not do it and not lose the .25fs why do it?  maybe they will figure it out one day.

Edited by Uberknot

if you know how to not do it and not lose the .25fs why do it?  maybe they will figure it out one day.

how not to dig and lag? Yeah i have dug 10+k without a problem, but that time that i lag out thx to server or client i die... so..

I'll add my own findings related to this, because it's deemed 'not server lag' and therefore not the fault of game when this happens.

If your client freezes up, such as java hanging or the easily replicable way of moving the window when it's in windowed mode, it creates a desync between client and server.  And it seems that much of where you should be is controlled by the client.  This can bee seen by:

If you are sailing in a boat and move your window around (and just keep your mouse clicked down on the top bar of the window) for a period of time, your boat will stop. People around you will see your boat as stopped, passengers will see a speed of 0, etc.  When you release your click and your client starts processing again, it will catch up progressively, and your boat will move much much faster than it should until it catches up to where it should have been - I've seen boats hitting 50+kmh.  This doesn't actually gain you anything, as it simply catches you up, but I'm sure there are exploitable uses for it.

The same can be done on horse, cart, wagon etc.

Now, if this happens when people are digging under you, you start to float because the client won't update each drop when a dirt is dug under you.  Once your client catches up, you effectively fall lots of times and take fall damage over and over instantly and can die (i've seen other people just take a lot of wounds and live also). 

This obviously shouldn't happen - the client should inform the server of what movements you want to make, but ultimately it should be the server that updates your location, or a combination like some sort of devils pact between server and client.

I don't feel it's fair that bugs like this can kill you and you lose out simply because there's no logs of lag on the server.  Instead, the client should be fixed so that should it hang, it can't force sudden rapid movements which lead to speed boosts or fall damage.

• Like 7

If the recent trends are of any indication, this thread will end up locked because discussing GM policies is forbidden - the problem will thus live on unaddressed and the players will continue to suffer :)

@aamanus, how could anyone claim something like this is NOT a server issue? Fall damage happening repeatedly on the same spot without moving is definitely something the server shouldn't allow, it should be outright trivial to prevent the repeated fall damage events.

• Like 1

I've seen people be reimbursed over this countless times.

So why the change? It's obviously wurns fault, it's just the fact the GMs can't be arsed to sort it all. At least tell the truth...

• Like 2

The link is about things that you loose due to a server bug

You don't lose a res stone once you use it, you lose it's passive effect because you died.  You will have to buy/use another one to regain the passive effect.  

• Like 1

Well, GMs decide things on a case by case basis, so maybe your instakill server bug had different circumstances than other people's instakill server bugs. The GM team however will not disclose the differences because that could jeopardize their ability to effectively work in the future.

Maybe the reason is that you used f2p alts to do the digging (did you?), i.e. didn't pay the proper protection money and thus are not entitled to VIP treatment that people using only premium alts would've gotten. I'm only half joking about this.

• Like 1

Well, GMs decide things on a case by case basis, so maybe your instakill server bug had different circumstances than other people's instakill server bugs. The GM team however will not disclose the differences because that could jeopardize their ability to effectively work in the future.

Maybe the reason is that you used f2p alts to do the digging (did you?), i.e. didn't pay the proper protection money and thus are not entitled to VIP treatment that people using only premium alts would've gotten. I'm only half joking about this.

I was on my main with high skills (prem). The 0,25fs loss at 85 fs that i did was also something that will take me days of good hunting or a pvp kill to regain. (No alts were in that area or involved in this.)

When I died digging, I got reimbursed with a resstone and some of the skill. They can't give you decimals, only a full skill point (80, 81, 82 etc). So if I had 90.50 or above, I would get it set to 91. If below xx.50, I would get nothing.

When I died digging, I got reimbursed with a resstone and some of the skill. They can't give you decimals, only a full skill point (80, 81, 82 etc). So if I had 90.50 or above, I would get it set to 91. If below xx.50, I would get nothing.

well.. i was told that no reimburstments (a GM on CM acc so no idea which GM) and after asking this sent to some arch GM it went on Hold. Logging in next time and it was just changed to closed - Resolved.

Edited by Argustin

well.. i was told that no reimburstments (a GM on CM acc so no idea which GM) and after asking this sent to some arch GM it went on Hold. Logging in next time and it was just changed to closed - Resolved.

GM on a CM acc? Hmm, from what I know people on the team are never to share their password with anyone. Anyway, hope you get reimbursed. It's not more than right!

GM on a CM acc? Hmm, from what I know people on the team are never to share their password with anyone. Anyway, hope you get reimbursed. It's not more than right!

well by the looks of it GM-s/CM-s have decided that dieing to a game bug is my fault and my problem, sadly.

'They' don't (or maybe can't) care what happens to you. Their decisions are subjective and so will not be consistent at all. It's not your fault you died. But that's too bad. These are the conclusions I've come to after playing WURM for years. You can /support but don't hold your breath when the game messes you over. Just play and take it like a man. Or woman. Whatever. Maybe some day this bug will get fixed. DIdn't they fix the bug where you took damage while flattening? A toon wasn't moving for that damage either. So maybe they'll fix this one. Someday. Maybe. 

Edited by Clatius
  • Like 1

That's pretty poor, in my opinion.  Sadly, it's consistent with some of the GM interactions I've seen elsewhere.  Rolf said "...even small loss derives from the fun" - I assume he meant 'detracts from the fun', and I agree.  Eternal beta testing is a poor excuse when there's real money involved.

Well, GMs decide things on a case by case basis

That's the problem. The rules should be clear for all, and the GMs shouldn't have to spend time sorting things out. There are enough bugs for them to save people from that time shouldn't have to be spent gathering info for a subjective decision.

• Like 2

There's also an instant lag death on climbing downhill on any slope that has killed me a few times recently.

well with bridges we will die even more and more becose of bugs...   so pls someone explain us if we get refound of our skills atlast?  at 90+ skill levels is pain to loose it becose of wurm bugs, lag....

As a general rule, don't expect anything from a GM in an mmo other than conflict resolution and bug reporting. That goes for all mmos. There are generally pretty strict rules and follow up to generating in-game effects. There is likely also logic that is being subverted server side that has to either be done manually or otherwise accounted for after the fact, the types of things that prevent you from logging in due to corrupt player data for example. The more value there is in something lost to a technical issue, the more work it is to recover. There may be hard set rules against it based on criteria we don't know as well.

Development takes time, GMs work takes time. If the problem isn't actively impeding you from playing, there may not be enough hours in the day to deal with it.