Sign in to follow this  
Postinglels

No bridges on pvp servers until live tested

I don't pvp, but if I did, I would start a small deed, then surround it with short bridges. Then in the center of deed, put a drake set on the ground as a lure...

+1 add it to challenge first

Idea

Custom map of hundreds off small but tall (sky) islands so bridges have to be built to reach the centre/hota area.

• Like 1

Actually, PvP server with ultra fast building (like most structures cost capped at 1/20 cost) to test bridges for PvP servers would be nice idea IMHO.

Mixed thoughts on the matter. Waited for quite a while, so be nice to have it soon as possible. On the other hand, waited this long so why not longer.

Though, I'm not entirely certain there's any real way to test it before going live with it. Challenge is a thought.

To really test it out, there needs to be a hyper competitive atmosphere with players poking and seeking any exploit imaginable. Unfortunately that means a pvp server.

Since multistory came up... aye, it had its flaws that were exploited in pvp. Even recall seeing such occur a few times, was rather amusing seeing them pop up in very diverse groups almost at once. Likely noted during testing and thought only they knew of it. However, that led to the issues receiving widespread attention and patched up, at least the more severe ones.

A significant new feature like this is always going to be rocky regardless of how much its tested.

Besides if it's only broken on PvE odds are it won't get much attention...

Join the Wurm-wide testing, dear PvP'ers.  We just gotta start packing an alt in the cart to test bridges out before crossing ^_^

• Like 1

+1

Even when it's "working as intended", it will still probably make raiding suck even more.

Besides if it's only broken on PvE odds are it won't get much attention...

If it affects PvE, it will affect PvP as well (not to mention PvP does not get the majority of dev time in case some people aren't paying attention).

95% of PvP server play time is PvE, meaning PvE affects us entirely. When PvP affects PvE, it's usually because of lazy coding (no split), not intentional or well-planned design.

In the past I have seen many many features added to the game that had a game breaking bug that wasn't noticed. Someone would always find it if there was a bug and it would cause huge problems on the live servers, sometimes causing irreversible damage.

Back then players would heckle Rolf endlessly about the importance of testing features before adding them. He didn't always listen for whatever reason and it was a tiring situation, for both the players and the I'm sure Rolf/Devs/GMs too.

To see something as big and important as bridges on the verge of being added I can imagine a lot of people are very excited, people drawing up plans, others who can't wait to get their hands on them and see how they work etc.

I know waiting for something is terrible and torturous, but there's one quote from a game developer I always remember at times like this,

'A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.'

Sure it might not quite fully apply to this, but you get the idea. Can you imagine the chaos that would be caused if bridges got released sooner than the devs wanted and someone found a catastrophic bug with them? And then the poor GMs are the ones having to run around the maps across the game gathering information, tending to broken things and the devs having to scramble together to decide how to fix it quickly.

I can see no reason why that should happen when it could all be avoided by simply applying some patience and waiting til they're good to go. It's pretty simple really.

-1 I understand the worries on a pvp server, but they won't get all the bugs out until they are active on all servers.  And why should we on the pve servers do your work of finding all the bugs; why should we go through that and you not?

• Like 1

I dont mind them implementing the bridges at the same time, but the Devs should put a stipulation for chaos and epic, if something even looks to work like it should not then there should be harsh punishment. Bridges need to be tested somehow though, so putting them in live will let us really play with them to see what we can do. 

Also the problem with letting Freedom test it is the fact they wont be looking for the same thing chaos players are looking for in terms of testing, and loop holes. 

Edited by MaurizioAM
  • Like 1

I dont mind them implementing the bridges at the same time, but the Devs should put a stipulation for chaos and epic, if something even looks to work like it should not then there should be harsh punishment. Bridges need to be tested somehow though, so putting them in live will let us really play with them to see what we can do. 

Also the problem with letting Freedom test it is the fact they wont be looking for the same thing chaos players are looking for in terms of testing, and loop holes. 

Not to mention that we probably couldn't even if we wanted to.

-1 I understand the worries on a pvp server, but they won't get all the bugs out until they are active on all servers.  And why should we on the pve servers do your work of finding all the bugs; why should we go through that and you not?

Why should you on PvE be voting on something that is for PvP?

We're not asking for anything different for you. We're asking for something different for us to prevent people from losing several hundred euros worth of if a bridge bugs out and gets someone killed. I'm so sorry that you're missing out on full loot when you die (you can petition for that to be added to PvE as well after moon metal and HotA statues), but we don't like losing an entire paycheck or more worth of gear because Rolf forgot to carry a one.

Here's a lovely example of what I'm talking about: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/122590-digging-bugbugs-that-instakill-you-whos-fault-is-it/

inb4 peeveepee sux

• Like 1

Who would build bridges on challenge lol? People are bloodthirsty for the rewards and pvp. 

+1, there will be bugs. Even when they iron them out on the test server, its been shown time and time again, there will be bugs.

Who would build bridges on challenge lol? People are bloodthirsty for the rewards and pvp. 

Put in a reward for whoever builds the most bridges, give them bridge master title and bronze statue. Lets see how many bridges will appear.

Why should you on PvE be voting on something that is for PvP?

EXCUSE ME?

We're not asking for anything different for you. We're asking for something different for us to prevent people from losing several hundred euros worth of ###### if a bridge bugs out and gets someone killed. I'm so sorry that you're missing out on full loot when you die (you can petition for that to be added to PvE as well after moon metal and HotA statues), but we don't like losing an entire paycheck or more worth of gear because Rolf forgot to carry a one.

Here's a lovely example of what I'm talking about: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/122590-digging-bugbugs-that-instakill-you-whos-fault-is-it/

inb4 peeveepee sux

We don't carry seryl armor or such, but we do carry rare tools.  We don't like losing an entire paycheck either, and we don't have that "exp curve" so losing skills past 90 is no joke.

Reminder:  We pay our subscription like everyone else, PvE is NOT PvP's test server.

• Like 1

EXCUSE ME?

We don't carry seryl armor or such, but we do carry rare tools.  We don't like losing an entire paycheck either, and we don't have that "exp curve" so losing skills past 90 is no joke.

Reminder:  We pay our subscription like everyone else, PvE is NOT PvP's test server.

And your corpses are protected. Ours aren't.

Again, we aren't asking for anything different for you; we're asking for something different for us. It's like any other feature that we ask to be excluded from PvP.

Isn't this why bridges have been on the test server for so long?

Isn't this why bridges have been on the test server for so long?

In theory.

In theory.

Seems to me that anyone asking for a delayed release of bridges on PvP servers should be on the test server trying out some PvP on bridges...

• Like 3

Seems to me that anyone asking for a delayed release of bridges on PvP servers should be on the test server trying out some PvP on bridges...

But that would make sense! Cant have that...

• Like 1

You mean like we did before armor/archery nerfs and spell changes were added that we specifically said were bad and we didn't want? Yeah...

You mean like we did before armor/archery nerfs and spell changes were added that we specifically said were bad and we didn't want? Yeah...

Well at least then you can point your fingers back at the relevant thread and say 'well we did say...'. I'd also suggest that given the lenth of time bridges have been on test, and the amount of bug processing going on, it's seems to be a pretty concerted effort to make the release as bug free as possible whereas if I remember correctly, the things you mentioned weren't on for very long before being added to live if indeed they were on test beforehand at all.