Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Tried VPN service - Xanadu still laggy

Just wanted to try a VPN service and setting my host server to Germany, in an attempt to minimize internet hops and reduce ping times.  Not much difference AND the Xanadu LAGGGGGG is still there.

Here is what lag looks like when inserted into written text:

S            o, I went f                      or a run                                  , down t                                        o t                          he s                                 t                                ore. Al                                 ong the way, I me                                         t this rea                                                 lly annoying LAG!

How about driving a car...  is that a red light up ahead?  I better step on the breaks.... shoot!  My foot isn't moving.... oh heck.... come on foot!!  Smash!

So CC, Devs, ROLF, what the F are you actually doing about it?  You make a game that I love dearly, then provide a horrible experience.  I will be taking my business elsewhere if there isn't some serious progress made.  10 deeds, 12 prem alts.  Bought hundreds of silver from your store.  Not for much longer.

• Like 1

He made a server that can barely run stable, theres not much the playerbase can do about that besides playing elsewhere.

If the playerbase of that server dont cover the cost, he will look for solutions just like he did with Affliction over here on Epic.

When the server is overloaded, there isn't really anything you can do about it... unless you want to try shouting some snobby advice from the bushes, "ROLF! REWRITE THE WURM SERVER IN ERLANG!"

When the server is overloaded, there isn't really anything you can do about it... unless you want to try shouting some snobby advice from the bushes, "ROLF! REWRITE THE WURM SERVER IN ERLANG!"

Uhm, ok so when servers are overloaded you should just give up? That would be pretty stupid. Of course you can fix performance problems, it's a big part of most developers lives... 

Some kind of confirmation from devs that they are looking in to this would be nice... 

The server is too big -Reset it to a smaller server. The bigness is nice, the bigness is great, but it doesnt work -time to reset it to a smaller server. Its not just the Lagg thats an issue due to size, its mob dispersion, player dispersion, travel times(specifically sailing) just to name a few.

No one wants to give up all the work they put into a deed, but with all the issues that really cannot or will not be addressed in our lifetimes its just easiest to admit defeat and reset the server to a smaller one to address all the issues.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

He made a server that can barely run stable, theres not much the playerbase can do about that besides playing elsewhere.

If the playerbase of that server dont cover the cost, he will look for solutions just like he did with Affliction over here on Epic.

That's logic for you... 

Have the server with over 1000 people lagging remain ignored until it's down to 250 and still losing people like World War I trenches.

Wag tail like an eager cocker spaniel at server (cluster) with 200ish people because it's losing him money.... 

So the reason Freedom (and specially Xanadu) loses priority over Epic and Chaos is because Freedom's still profitable?

Because.. really... I'm not okay with funding something profitable so the money can be taken over and over to something non profitable.  Rolf can add a million new pieces of furniture, kinda pointless if all the fluff is in a broken world.  Even more pointless if said world is further broken whenever the unprofitable part of the game emits so much as a whimper about a mechanic they don't like in detriment of the profitable part.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure a smaller server is the only way here

It's gonna get even worse with bridges heh

Edited by Twinsen

Uhm, ok so when servers are overloaded you should just give up? That would be pretty stupid. Of course you can fix performance problems, it's a big part of most developers lives... 

Some kind of confirmation from devs that they are looking in to this would be nice... 

I meant the players can't do anything about it. When it's not a network problem, trying a VPN service won't help any etc.

http://xanadu.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/lag.html - afaik this tracks the in-server lag, i.e. how overloaded the system is. the long horizontal lines mean the lag tracking system is down at the moment, but last week's data is there

And the devs are definitely "looking into" this at some level, that goes without saying. What exactly they're doing, though, who knows.

Ok, I agree that players can't do anything. 

I'd like to know what the devs thinks and what they are doing. They could at least mention it in the weekly newsletter. 

Edited by Torgrim