Sign in to follow this  
Onyr

We get bridges, can you also make Docks?

We are so close to bridges, which are one of the coolest things I have seen in any sandbox game.

Do the existing mechanics translate to allowing a dock?  Perhaps just a few dirts above water.

• Would allowing swimming beneath
  • Embarking on ships
  • Loading and unloading
  • Would not need a second person to plan
  • Getting off a ship next to a dock = automaticly put on the dock
  • Has ladders to climb from the water
  • Is made of wood
  • Weighs the same as a duck

• Like 12

Whos to say bridges won't be able to be used as a dock in some way if you plan it right?

• Like 1

Do the existing mechanics translate to allowing a dock?  Perhaps just a few dirts above water.

No. Reading this post from Tich: "If the bridge is over a certain length (5 tiles) then it will have supports, and to keep it looking like the bridge is over water, and not fallen into water, there is a minimum height of 60 dirt for wood and 80 for brick."

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/115728-bridge-bug-testing-on-the-testserver/page-2#entry1183146

To me this indicates that when bridges are wanted to be constructed across roads close to water level there will have to be made huge dirt ramps on each side up to these heights. This will be a lot of additional work that may not able to be done due to the tiles available to be raised up on each side.

An alternative would be to build 1 tile houses on each side 3 and 4 story's high with slanted bridge ramps up into inside of them and then another one from these 1 tile houses across the water. Another approach requiring even more construction and length available.

I would have much preferred bridges to be able to be built just above water level if desired, even if they blocked passage through them underneath but from reading this statement it seems that this will not be possible. Add onto this the goofy looking factor of having to ramp up this high on each side of them and you have something not so esthetically appealing.

Not sure exactly how this will all turn out but this is how I understand and envision it.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 1

I may look at this after bridges have gone live.

No promises.

• Like 12

How about fixing the broken parts of the game before adding new stupid stuff

• Like 1

Docks are a great idea, I would love to avoid all the land filling I have to do for some semblance of docks as it stands.

How about fixing the broken parts of the game before adding new stupid stuff

yeah like more PvP stuff we don't need.

• Like 1

I may look at this after bridges have gone live.

No promises.

I would love to see something other than 30 tile dirt paths up in the water all over the place. With a proper dock and the bridges it might stop some of that.  

yeah like more PvP stuff we don't need.

What we really need is more chairs. Who's with me?

• Like 1

What we really need is more chairs. Who's with me?

NO. MOAR HEDGES!