Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

The Wurmian Tutorials. Episode 1: Flat-Raising

Hey everyone, welcome to what will hopefully be a series of tutorial videos for Wurm Online! I've seen various tutorial videos online and figured I'd give it a shot and see how everything rides. Please leave me feedback and requests for future guides/tutorials. Keep in mind this thread is intended to help new and veteran players with various features of the game, and is not intended to be a place for verbal abuse, harassment, derailing, etc.

I hope you enjoy! If you have a request feel free to message me or comment below!

Note: this video will also be posted on reddit in the Wurm Online subreddit. So if you're a reddit user be sure to subscribe to /r/wurmonline

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 6

nice one Slick.

I think we can all agree, more people doing wurm vids the better.

Only thing I would say is perhaps reduce the music level or make your voice a bit louder.

• Like 1

nice one Slick.

I think we can all agree, more people doing wurm vids the better.

Only thing I would say is perhaps reduce the music level or make your voice a bit louder.

Indeed.  I reduced the music level as far as I could.  I don't think it's hard to hear me, but I would definitely have liked it to be lower.

Flat raising is probably the most difficult task in wurm, the others are in my opinion, tedious as opposed to actually being difficult.

Seeing as how that is out of the way, i'd probably pick a route to go down. If you want to help veterans or intermediate level players, i would suggest going into the dynamics behind mechanics and how to best utilize them (for instance multistory house designs and the proper way to do that without getting that pesky support message due to the NW corner all the time)

If you want to help newer and intermediate players, you could help them orient themselves by explaining the religion, meditation, valrei systems, basics of survival, things of that nature.

Edited by Propheteer

Well I had thought about doing some basics first and eventually getting into more complex mechanics, such as bridges after they are released. Thank you for the suggestions.

I liked how you sped up the slow parts but did not just cut it all out makes the video more appealing. I also have to agree the music was a little distracting maybe you can fade it out as the video goes to the speaking parts. 

Edited by Kegan

I liked how you sped up the slow parts but did not just cut it all out makes the video more appealing. I also have to agree the music was a little distracting maybe you can fade it out as the video goes to the speaking parts.

Yeah the speed up was fun. In total the tutorial took 10 minutes to film, and I didn't cut an ounce of it, but instead shortened the time with a speed multiplier. :)

I've watched the video a few times, and with headphones the audio feels fine, however when using speakers the music is more distracting than I would have liked it to be. All a work in progress. :)

On another note, in line with what Propheteer said, I believe I'll truly begin The Wurmian Tutorials with basic newbie episodes. I may renumber this video and set it off to the side in a more veteran segment.

If any of you have suggestions for novice or veteran features you'd like in a tutorial please let me know. I have a few ideas down already but I'm always open to more.

• Like 1

For newbies - a few basic ideas:

- How and what trees to cut (include the need to replant)

- Mining and prospecting

- using Wurmpedia and CA Help, crafting window and recipes

- How to forage and botanise; pick sprouts and replant

- How to heal wounds of different types

- How to cook and increase HFC thru the various stages.

- Making basic tools and nails, etc - what ql tools to use at each skill level

- Storage containers - for low, med and high quality items to prevent decay (many do not understand about decay)

- Building a basic house - which can be extended or modified.

- What to farm first and why

- How to join a village and the need to have a forum account

- How to grind to 30 masonry to build stone house walls

- Body stats - the minimum needed for what - and how to build them up

- Building a rowing boat - and cleaning up your mess afterwards...

Edited by Baloo

Thanks baloo. Most of those ideas I already have on paper, but some of the specifics about characteristic skill levels I might try to get into.

Good ideas.

Might try out a time laps we don't see many of them on YouTube and i think would be nice if done right. It could show of what you can do in an area if you work at it and take the time. 

Might try out a time laps we don't see many of them on YouTube and i think would be nice if done right. It could show of what you can do in an area if you work at it and take the time.

The thought had crossed my mind a few times and would be more in line with another project I want to start shortly. We'll see where it goes ;)

Flat raising is probably the most difficult task in wurm, the others are in my opinion, tedious as opposed to actually being difficult.

Seeing as how that is out of the way, i'd probably pick a route to go down. If you want to help veterans or intermediate level players, i would suggest going into the dynamics behind mechanics and how to best utilize them (for instance multistory house designs and the proper way to do that without getting that pesky support message due to the NW corner all the time)

If you want to help newer and intermediate players, you could help them orient themselves by explaining the religion, meditation, valrei systems, basics of survival, things of that nature.

Tell me more about the NW corner problem?

Tell me more about the NW corner problem?

It's a bit late, and theres been a few patches so i don't even know if its as prevalent as it once was, but lets say you build a multi story building, and you want to remove some floors, you wouldn't be able to remove some floors due to their not being a wall on a particular side of any level of the nwestern most tile of a building.

It's a bit late, and theres been a few patches so i don't even know if its as prevalent as it once was, but lets say you build a multi story building, and you want to remove some floors, you wouldn't be able to remove some floors due to their not being a wall on a particular side of any level of the nwestern most tile of a building.

Odd, I've never ran into this problem.

I would love to see more info on farming. I have not enjoyed farming at all because when I worked at it, my skill got up over 20 and I still was getting terrible yields and very slow skill gains. I now suspect I was farming the wrong crops for my level but I still don't understand it.

I would love to see more info on farming. I have not enjoyed farming at all because when I worked at it, my skill got up over 20 and I still was getting terrible yields and very slow skill gains. I now suspect I was farming the wrong crops for my level but I still don't understand it.

I've been thinking about doing one on farming soon.  I've been busy lately, however, so I haven't been playing much or making videos.  Hopefully soon I'll find the motivation to just get it done. lol

Thanks! Cotton and wemp it is for now then! That works since I need to work rope building on one of my alts and cotton is always good to have around :)