Sign in to follow this  
Redcomrade

Paying it forward

Greetings fellow Wurmians,

I just felt like post about an experience I had last night that reminded me of why I love the wurm community. I live in the NE of Xanadu, and hardly ever see anyone in local, the combination of low population, high mob spawns, and an incomplete road network keeps the foot traffic very low. So imagine my surprise when I log in and see a player in local. Not having much going on and always willing to strike up a conversation I ask him how his day was.

The tale was like many such, a new player, he had placed his tent somewhere on the coast and gone exploring. He was lost, hungry, and in danger of the hellhounds on the mountains above. On his own and with my explanation of where my deed was located he found his way, swimming the last bit as the road is incomplete. When he arrived, I fed him, gave him some cotton for his wounds, a few fishing poles and lines for food, and an extra rowboat I had laying around. I haven't seen someone that happy in game in a long time. He was truly grateful and regretted he had nothing to trade in return.

This reminded my of my own first days in wurm, being killed three times trying to reach a friends deed to start my wurm life. Low nutrition, low food, and no skills, or decent equipment life was hard. However I was lucky in that I found some awesome people on my travels that went out of their way to help me. Giving me food and equipment that must have been useless to them but to me was a gift beyond compare. I hope that new player I was able to help stays. Even if he doesn't maybe I made a slight impression on him and others had made on me. 

The community of Wurm Online is the best I have ever found in an MMO. We just help each other out. So here is a shout out to all the players that go out of their way to assist new players, keep being awesome and keep paying it forward.

• Like 17

I love this in Wurm, only reason I'm still here and reason I ever wanted to dedicate helping others.

Positive circle, you get helped and you want to do the exact same back.

This is why I play Wurm, hands down. Was helped out a lot when I started the game out and taken in by a good guy. I think stuff like that really does make people want to pay it forward in the future.

Greetings fellow Wurmians,

I just felt like post about an experience I had last night that reminded me of why I love the wurm community. I live in the NE of Xanadu, and hardly ever see anyone in local, the combination of low population, high mob spawns, and an incomplete road network keeps the foot traffic very low. So imagine my surprise when I log in and see a player in local. Not having much going on and always willing to strike up a conversation I ask him how his day was.

The tale was like many such, a new player, he had placed his tent somewhere on the coast and gone exploring. He was lost, hungry, and in danger of the hellhounds on the mountains above. On his own and with my explanation of where my deed was located he found his way, swimming the last bit as the road is incomplete. When he arrived, I fed him, gave him some cotton for his wounds, a few fishing poles and lines for food, and an extra rowboat I had laying around. I haven't seen someone that happy in game in a long time. He was truly grateful and regretted he had nothing to trade in return.

This reminded my of my own first days in wurm, being killed three times trying to reach a friends deed to start my wurm life. Low nutrition, low food, and no skills, or decent equipment life was hard. However I was lucky in that I found some awesome people on my travels that went out of their way to help me. Giving me food and equipment that must have been useless to them but to me was a gift beyond compare. I hope that new player I was able to help stays. Even if he doesn't maybe I made a slight impression on him and others had made on me.

The community of Wurm Online is the best I have ever found in an MMO. We just help each other out. So here is a shout out to all the players that go out of their way to assist new players, keep being awesome and keep paying it forward.

This is an awesome post. I think what you did is the behavior that will give new players hope and hopefully keep them playing. This is the spirit of what is great about Wurm. Best game ever.

• Like 1