Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 17

week17.png?dl=1

Hey everyone!

We are now very close to the release of bridges which should be in around a week from now. Most of the development team have been focussing on them and making sure that all models are in place and bugs are fixed. They are on the test server in full so if you could join us there and help with final testing that would be greatly appreciated!

There are also a few more map dumps released today, and an exciting new GM treasure hunt!

Here's the news in full!

Bridge Progress

Bridges are still on track for release either next week or the week after. Most of the bugs we know about are ironed out now. All of the bridge models (including during construction phases) are now implemented and ready for release so that's one step forward.

If you would like to give bridges a try and help us identify any remaining bugs, we urge you to spend some time on the test server. If you notice any bugs send in a support ticket on the test server and the developers will be notified and work on a fix. We are especially interested in bugs related to travelling across bridges on carts, and entering houses from a bridge.

Game Master's Treasure Hunt

chest_some_coins2.png?dl=1

In light of the recent success of their treasure hunt on the Exodus server, the GMs are organising another on Release - including some twists! There will be two "branches" to the treasure hunt, each with separate prizes and clues, starting 12 hours apart from each other. There are 16 prizes on offer for each branch. Half of the prizes are chests - each containing a set of fancy items, including a supreme/rare tool... but the other half of the prizes are signs, that will give players a mysterious key when examined.

72 hours after the start of the second branch, a chest will spawn at the server's starter town, Sloping Sands. Inside will be a significantly larger prize than what was on offer in the other chests - but only ONE of the keys given out will work. So you can claim an easy prize (if you can find it,) or pick the riskier option with a chance for something much bigger!

The first branch will start at 2:30pm GMT on Saturday 25th April (tomorrow,) and the second will start at 2:30am GMT on Sunday 26th. Each player can only enter one branch and win one prize from each branch, and so there will be a large number of prizes to claim and starting at different times too.

I thought about not telling you anything else to pay homage to the spirit of the treasure hunt, but you can find more details in the official thread here.

Large Maul

The art developers are pleased to reveal the texture for the new large maul model revealed last week. Please note this is still a work in progress but it is pretty close to finished now.

Large_Maul_WIP_t1.png?dl=1

New Map Dumps

Carrying on from last week, I am very pleased to announce two more map dumps. You can now view the Celebration and Exodus maps.

We have also updated the Elevation dump to have the correct map. You can also view the old Elevation map too!

The full list of map dumps can be found in the official map dump thread.

Rolf's Birthday

And last but not least, it was Rolf's birthday yesterday!

Grattis på födelsedagen!

Cake.png

(And don't forget you can make cakes in Wurm!)

That's all for this week,

Happy Wurming!

• Like 23

Happy birthday for yesterday Rolf! :)

I LOVE the look of the new large maul!

How many candles do we need to put on Rolfs cake?  heh

Ok I'm seriously pumped about all these things.  That treasure hunt looks fricking awesome.  Very anxious for bridges too!!!  Keep up the good work.

... and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

3 weeks ago... "Bridges are set for the week after Elevation reset"

2 weeks ago... "Elevation Reset! Bridges are on track for next week or the week after"

Today... "Bridges are on track for next week or the week after"

Anyone see a pattern of failure?  I dislike bashing and being negative but give a set date already...

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

anyone who at least knows basics of programming will understand why bridges are taking so long

• Like 1

2 weeks ago... "Elevation Reset! Bridges are on track for next week or the week after"

Anyone see a pattern of failure?  I dislike bashing and being negative but give a set date already...

To be fair, things can't always be set in stone, especially things that are a work in progress.  Nothing is ever perfect, but the fact that they keep giving us information on it weekly and are confident in their progress should be reassurance enough.

I constantly see players referencing past instances of how the Dev's "lied" about releases, or "took their sweet time" in updating various features that have been teased.  I've been playing Wurm for 6 years, and I've never ever been unsatisfied with the updates along the way.  Certain features are wanted more than others, yes, however stooping to the level of complaining and whining about it is embarrassing.  Please try to have patience; life is less stressful and more enjoyable that way.

By the way, my response isn't a personal attack on you Nomad.  This is just a general response to those who are prone to complaining about the Devs every step of the way.

Eh, when I did software development I always gave set dates, I hit them too.  It can be done but the world has changed and inde dev with endless betas is the norm now :P

Can we get more info about the lagg?? I havent heard a word from it for weeks again.

• Like 2

45 candles, grattis i efterskott, happy belated birthday, Roffe!

• Like 1

>Anyone else see a pattern of not releasing a product until it is in good shape and isn't going to break the game or create serious headaches that make people upset all weekend?

Yes, I completely agree with you. Good on CC for releasing it when it's ready, and not before then just to satisfy demands.

• Like 6

As much as I would love to give a solid release date for bridges, the nature of testing and debugging them is often a little unpredictable which makes accuracy in our release date a little difficult.

Bridges are a massive new innovation in Wurm, especially from a technical perspective. They work well so far as you can see on the test server, but there are still some cases where there are issues we just can't have in the live servers.

We would much rather release bridges later than expected than stick to an arbitrary date and have players deal with bugs which might kill or temporarily glitch out their characters.

As I say though we still think they are on track to be released very soon. All help testing on the test server is greatly appreciated :)

• Like 3

You should jump on the test server and try out bridges, they work remarkably well. I expected a kind of bad transition like there is between the surface and mines now, but it's actually completely smooth.

Happy Birthday.

Wondering how does the test server work. I've only been there once. Is there no restriction on skills? Mobs? Can we just spawn stuff or do we have to build everything piece by piece in order to test stuff?

Happy Belated Birthday Rolf!!!   Ok, I'm just super in love with the New maul graphics.  I went crazy oogly googly eyed over it!!!!