Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Do artifacts need change?

It seems artifacts can be kept under control too easily still and there have been discussions that they should be reset periodically instead. Also some seem to do imbalanced damage. Thoughts?

• Like 16

Hrm personally the "imbalanced" damage just makes those artifacts all the more desirable and contested for.

• Like 4

Simply making them gain charges from killing people would be better in my opinion. They should also be more powerful than any normal weapon or there is no point to them.

• Like 7

Simply making them gain charges from killing people would be better in my opinion. They should also be more powerful than any normal weapon or there is no point to them.

How would that work with the non pvp items like the mouth, ear, rod, charm, crown or even the scale. Although I think charges through killing enemy players would be a nice addition, gives them a reason to be used. I think they're fine with having to be recharged, although maybe toning down the window they're allowed to be done so might make it more challenging.

Edited by Rudie

Nobody use artefacts on Epic on daily PvP so I dont think they are imbalanced.

They should be powerful, not overpowered. Right now they've been able to kill players in one hit through drake armor. Goes without saying some of them need to be tweaked.

Periodic resets sounds fair to keep them in different hands.

Baultr, I fear having them gain charges from kills can be abused.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 2

How would that work with the non pvp items like the mouth, ear, rod, charm, crown or even the scale. Although I think charges through killing enemy players would be a nice addition, gives them a reason to be used. I think they're fine with having to be recharged, although maybe toning down the window they're allowed to be done so might make it more challenging.

My personal feelings on recharging them is by the time i get to the light they are already far gone, Also i feel all artifacts whether a weapon or not should be recharged from pvp forcing them to change hands more often. I also thought about a 100% drop chance but that will probably discourage people using them.

Edited by Baultr

Artifacts are not kept under control easily imo. A decent group can very easily bash the black or white light.

Resetting them will just give the server an annoying treasure hunt every few months (as locate artifact spell is ... crappy). If you change the system, consider changing the locate artifact spell also or the way of retrieving them.

The weapons could use a little tweak, some are quite powerful.

Also Tosiek artifacts?

I dont think that they are too hard to be captured.

Since Elevation just restarted, I assume this is about Chaos only right now. Thing is - Mol Rehan owns all 12 of them at the moment - all 12 of them were recharged during the last week, in one and the same possible time span.

And may I say - JK managed to steal all of MRs artifacts from deeds in the past?

So first they were recharged at the WL, then at the BL. I was joking to a villager of mine "Ah its so good its not predictable when they are recharging them."

If someone was truly trying to claim them back for another kingdom, there was more than one chance for it.

It took over 10 minutes to charge them at the WL. Then it took like an hour or more to travel to the BL.

Not all artifacts are weapons.

Even if it were just for the 4 weapons that there are - they lose 10 recharge points a week. That would mean there are 40 kills per week needed.

Periodic respawns would be plain annoying and would mean there is no point in trying to keep them because you cannot do that anyways.

If anything to make it "less of a gamble" when they are recharged - remove one of the 2 possible recharge times and the chance that when you try to catch someone recharging will be much higher.

Edited by Balmore

My personal feelings on recharging them is by the time i get to the light they are already far gone, Also i feel all artifacts whether a weapon or not should be recharged from pvp.

So lowering the amount of days and time period they can be done in, maybe raising the time taken to recharge from 3 minutes to 10 might help?

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 1

How the mechanics are are fine, making it any harder to keep them will just make them pointless to keep due to the upkeep of them. The only thing I can suggest is more frequesnt recharges? And maybe twitter messages saying "blah blah needs to be recharged soon or it will return to the ground". That way both enemies and the owners know when they may be recharged.

As for how powerful the artifacts are, I think they are fine as-is. The only thing I can say is possibly remove crits from artifacts.

Any claims saying artifacts can one hit all the time is false, I've seen it happen 3 or so times, it was either a very large crit, or the enemy was naked.

The orb needs fixing - a 50/50 chance to either instantly kill yourself or do damage to your enemies is ridicous and not worth the risk at all.

PvE artifacts are fine as-is.

Possibly make it so that Artifacts cant be Recharged...... and they return to the ground once they run out of charges.

maybe Priests could have a spell that could work like right of Spring.. or Right of death with a 1 week timer.... and it returns a Random Artifact to the ground?

Also make artis drop even if the user has a res stone or is a mag priest

Weapons should not be 1 handed... they should be 2 handed.. they already do way over a 2 handed weapon damage  someone wielding a great artifact.... shouldn't  have the advantage to block with a shield too... something negative should come from using these things not all positive

Edited by hemrzz
  • Like 2

I don't think periodic resets is the change that is needed.  Recharge timers/dates could be changed up maybe, just nothing that forces us to sit there watching a timer for a stupid long time while nothing special happens (like battlecamps, where are those btw?)

Other things are needed like giving the weapon artifacts special abilities while not being able to one shot normal players in any situation.  I've had a post about it before, like clicking use on the hammer could do a 3x3 "stomp" attack like uniques do

Just something other than doing sheer damage, something that makes them actually unique

• Like 3

You should have to fight to recharge artifacts, not sneakily do it when 85% of the population is asleep. 10 mins might be too long, maybe 5?

• Like 3

The problem is bonuses stack upon bonuses and upon more bonuses. If you have a 100 faith mag priest/champ wielding a powerful artifact with potions, buff spells, Shield of the Gone and what not all piled on they will do massive damage and be hard to take down. PvP has become less about skill and more about how many bonuses you can stack on yourself.

Fixing the staking of many buffs on one person would solve a lot I bet. 

• Like 9

Nobody use artefacts on Epic on daily PvP so I dont think they are imbalanced.

We brought artefacts along with the fight against BL the other day, just because most people are scared to take them along to pvp does not mean it's balanced. 

I believe yes they are so strong as to need a change. Either / or reduction and resets. (Even tho I've only used or fought against them a little on challenge, once on chaos, and played with them all on Ele)

How the mechanics are are fine, making it any harder to keep them will just make them pointless to keep due to the upkeep of them. The only thing I can suggest is more frequesnt recharges?

You would say that when you have all of the artis on chaos lol biased.

• Like 2

Set the max charge at 80 instead of 120. (2 months instead of 3)

50% of what you charge is reduced from an artifacts max possible charge.

This means you can keep it for nearly a half year, but it becomes increasingly harder to maintain it under your control becouse the recharge is required more often which means its a higher chance of pvp occuring.

Over time it goes into the ground and each kingdom gets a chance to dig it up.

Naturally once its time to dig one up again people might need to travel near enemy territory to obtain it... Meaning more pvp oppurtunities.

This way artifact control would be a bit more interesting and require more pvp.

And overall the game would be more dynamic rather than static.

As for damage... I think they should be powerfull, but 1shoot-powerfull is probably a lil bit too much.

oh and fix res stones saving artifacts. its been brought up a lot in the past. its ######.

Teleporting around the map (like twigging to the light and back home for example) should also be blocked.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 3

I like how champ lives have a time limit so that it forces a change in game play.  I'd like to see them returned on a regular basis.  Just not all at the same time.  There's what, 12 artifacts?  once a month one returns to the ground?  I don't think regular treasure hunts would be a bad thing.

• Like 1

The crits need a serious look at, though that isn't just for the artifacts, but something is generally off in the current crit mechanics in general.    I think they do highlight the issue though.    

The artifacts also should never be saved by a res stone.  If an enemy can kill an artifact holder they deserve the artifact, or at least the chance to pick it up if they can get the corpse.   

If you guys want a mechanic that lets artifacts be put back in the ground, there is the WL or Bone Altar to blow up.   I'ts been done before, and is the main reason why MR has all the artifacts atm.     How many times did we blow up the Bone Altar to get that stupid Orb of Doom?   Heh.     

If there were additional things you could do to force a despawn of an artifact I wouldn't be against it. (Just please don't use the broken mission system to do it.)   Just so long as it forces PvP and isn't just some timer on the artifacts.     The purpose of the artifacts is to be used in PvP, and making them despawn without the use of player intervention is just stupid.   

As it stands the artifacts are player driven, and it creates PvP to recharge them, or force fighting over the altars to either prevent recharging or blowing them up.    

Edited by Battlepaw

Any claims saying artifacts can one hit all the time is false, I've seen it happen 3 or so times, it was either a very large crit, or the enemy was naked. <-- So you have seen one hits happen, yet don't mention the 70+ damage hits to medium/high end accounts that happen regularly without death (fortunately)

The orb needs fixing - a 50/50 chance to either instantly kill yourself or do damage to your enemies is ridicous and not worth the risk at all. < -- 50/50 chance to either hit everyone within range by 40+ dmg or kill yourself, that is a decent risk as a suicidal weapon.

I like Zekezor's suggestion of increasing difficulty in keeping the artifacts, it gives all sides equal opportunity to obtain the artifacts periodically for a short duration, but able to be kept for a longer time.

I would prefer artifacts to be completely reworked to focus away from pure damage, and increase in ability usage so they require skill/tactics to use rather than a simple heavy hitting weapon.

A recent example is Daolin being killed in 2 hits from artifacts, if you can 2 hit a long(ish) time player simply because of artifacts, its overpowered. Powerful weapons will be desirable, but if they are too powerful then it becomes too difficult to obtain.

I also think artifacts should be dropped upon teleporting (twig/Karma/Meditation) around the server or when the player dies regardless of circumstances (mag/res stone effects).

To battlepaw the ability to bash an object 3 times in 3 hours does not show pvp capability in obtaining an artifact... That's more PVE.

• Like 1

reset them periodically. whats the point of the spell otherwise?

just my inexperienced opinion with logical conclusions.

If you guys want a mechanic that lets artifacts be put back in the ground, there is the WL or Bone Altar to blow up.   I'ts been done before, and is the main reason why MR has all the artifacts atm.     How many times did we blow up the Bone Altar to get that stupid Orb of Doom?   Heh.  

This is not a chaos discussion.

Epics artifact server was reset just a few days ago and each kingdom got their own set of artifacts.

That doesnt change the fact I want it to be harder to control artifacts.

It's more interesting that way.

And "bash the light" is all about having a huge kingdom to zerg the light with, its not about tactics.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 6

To battlepaw the ability to bash an object 3 times in 3 hours does not show pvp capability in obtaining an artifact... That's more PVE.

Recharging artifacts at a light is the same thing, even though zekezor's idea increases the amount of times you have to do it you could still never use them in pvp and even when they go in the ground the same kingdom could probably end up with them a second time which is why i prefer my idea of getting charges in pvp forcing people to use them.

This is not a chaos discussion.

Epics artifact server was reset just a few days ago and each kingdom got their own set of artifacts.

That doesnt change the fact I want it to be harder to control artifacts.

It's more interesting that way.

And "bash the light" is all about having a huge kingdom to zerg the light with, its not about tactics.

I've been there for bashes, and I don't think it's just about numbers.  The main thing is how well your organize your priests, and if you have enough sac materials.    The priests do way more damage to a light than someone with a large maul.    How well the bash is setup and organized makes a massive difference.   Don't believe me?  Do your own testing.  That's how we started when we were interested in bashing the lights, we tested what damage we did with different tactics.   

Hell why do you think I constantly poke and prod kingdoms to do it?   I know they can, and it's a great mechanic.  It lets you despawn artifacts and possibly even get control of that altar if it lands in your backyard.   I have no doubt even a kingdom with about 15-20 active members does have a chance of pulling it off.  Perhaps not as quickly as easily as a larger kingdom but they can do it.   

Edited by Battlepaw