Sign in to follow this  
KillerSpike

Is there a problem with Farming?

I have planted crops  (Pumpkins) for the first time in a few weeks on Sunday. Only 30 tiles. I have now "farmed " the tiles 2 days in a row

and did not get 1 single skill click. I am using a 80+CoC rake and is running SB and full Nutrition.

At first I thought it was just me not clicking over because I might have planted the wrong crop for my (58 Farming)  but I have chatted to a friend of mine

with 18 Farming and he did not have any clicks either for the last few days.

Surely my Skill is not that high that I will not tick over at least a little but in tending to 60 tiles? (2 x 30).

Also my friend should get some clicks on how low skill?

Any idea if I am doing something wrong or is there a issue somewhere ?

What's the quality of rake?  58 is going to be a bit high...anymore than like a 5 QL rake will mean you'll get zero skill ticks.

Pumpkins are a super low skill crop.

I am not sure what the QL of the rake is. (I am at work now) but it is much higher than 5. Probably closer to 50.

So it seems I am the the one to blame for my lack of ticks. I thought using a decent Coc + SB would compensate for the higher QL rake.

I will get a low QL rake and try and cast a good CoC on it. (although my priest likes to scatter the low QL items )

What should I plant @ 58 Farming to get max skill click possibilities?

From my experience pumpkins give very decent ticks at all levels.

I haven't farmed any for a few weeks though, not sure if something has changed in that time.

I got great skill gains with 95 ql rake on garlic at 99 farming.

Anyway, the best advise is that different crops have different difficulties. You'll need to find what crop offers the optimal "challenge", and hence skill ticks, for your skill. By lowering the rake ql you can make things harder and the opposite is true easier.

Sadly no one has done any experiments, afaik anyway, to give you an idea of what crops you should rake for given skill ranges.

I can say if your getting at least %50 skill ticks ( %50 of rakes no skill and %50 a gain) rate your doing good.

From my experience farming gains seem very inconsistent. Some days I will get a small tick every few tiles and others I can farm the same areas with almost none. Always a frustrating experience to have the skill tracker open while watching for these elusive gains. Experimented with different crops on different servers with different characters which farm once most every day.

As far as adjusting rake quality in the 1-10 range, this would be a much lower quality in comparison to one used for mining for best gains. Maybe this lower rake quality range makes it different than other skills? Farming is an odd one, seems to me. Not sure how these 80-90 farmers gain so well, unless they are farming vast fields a few times a day. My preference is to get it over with without spending too much time on it.

=Ayes=

What's the quality of rake?  58 is going to be a bit high...anymore than like a 5 QL rake will mean you'll get zero skill ticks.

Pumpkins are a super low skill crop.

a 60ql item at high skill will get you skill ticks. And a 5 ql rake is more likely to get you a big skill tick, But, Their is a HUGE drawback that many overlook, You can and WILL fail many actions with a 5ql rake. Yes, Your big tick will be great, But a 30ql rake with 100coc is far superior to a 5ql rake with 101coc. Why? Because your not gonna fail 1/3 of your actions, Their gonna be successes and give you that skill tick. 

If you dont understand what i mean when you fail the action, The best way i can explain it is, When your cutting trees down or mining, Ever wonder why theirs 1ql shards or logs? Those are failed actions that gave you Zero skill ticks. a high Coc 1ql pickaxe is utterly useless, id scrap it out for a regular 30ql pickaxe at that point, id be getting more smaller skill ticks than 1 big one in 30 actions ever would. 

• Like 2

You can judge difficulty with raking result event messages. (Looks like I need to fix the wiki). Here's how it is.

The field is tended - Failure, too hard, never a skill gain.

The field is now tended - Challenging, always farming skill gain.

The field looks better after your tending - Somewhat challenging, sometimes a farming skill gain.

The field is now groomed - easy, never a farming skill gain.

The field is now nicely groomed - very easy, never farming skill gain

By raking different crops and using different rake qualities you can find the combination where your maximizing the "now tended" and "looks better" messages.

What I'd love to see is a list of crops sorted by difficulty.

• Like 12

The field is tended - Failure, too hard, never a skill gain.

The field is now tended - Challenging, always farming skill gain.

The field looks better after your tending - Somewhat challenging, sometimes a farming skill gain.

The field is now groomed - easy, never a farming skill gain.

The field is now nicely groomed - very easy, never farming skill gain

That's some very useful info, thank you.

• Like 1

Interesting things mentioned here. Thanks to all and keep them coming :) Especially from the serious farmers with high skills.

As a experiment I think I will plant a row each of several crops and see the results on my particular skill level.

I would like some more opinions regarding the QL of the rake.I know a 1QL pickaxe with high CoC worked well for me.

Specially in the push between 80 and 90 skill. But that does not mean the same rules apply to rakes.

If you have 58 farming, try the following:

Grains (wheat, barley, oats, rye) with a 30 ql rake.

Onions with an 80 ql rake.

People don't realize that farming is alot like mining.  Sure, the wiki says you're not supposed to mine copper until you have 60 mining skill, but a 40 miner can do it with a high quality pickaxe and get great skill while doing it.  Yes, the skill per action is lower, but the skill over time is nearly the same.

Farming is similar.  As a 94 farmer myself, I still get good skill farming garlic, even using my precious w99 rake.  The QL of the rake is a key component, alongside what crop @ what skill you're farming.  The main difference between the two skills is that with farming, you don't have a pile of ore on the ground taht you can simply count the number of 1<40<100 lumps to know whether or not to adjust your pickaxe's QL.  You have to count the tend messages in your event log.

• Like 3

If you have 58 farming, try the following:

Grains (wheat, barley, oats, rye) with a 30 ql rake.

Onions with an 80 ql rake.

People don't realize that farming is alot like mining.  Sure, the wiki says you're not supposed to mine copper until you have 60 mining skill, but a 40 miner can do it with a high quality pickaxe and get great skill while doing it.  Yes, the skill per action is lower, but the skill over time is nearly the same.

Farming is similar.  As a 94 farmer myself, I still get good skill farming garlic, even using my precious w99 rake.  The QL of the rake is a key component, alongside what crop @ what skill you're farming.  The main difference between the two skills is that with farming, you don't have a pile of ore on the ground taht you can simply count the number of 1<40<100 lumps to know whether or not to adjust your pickaxe's QL.  You have to count the tend messages in your event log.

I will definitely try this. Now that I know what to look for in the logs I am confident I will get to a happy medium that will help me skill up.

I will stop wasting SB until I get some ticks.

My idea now is to write an app that will parse my logs and calculate the results for me over a period of time.

Thinking in the line of doing a "Examine" before I "Farm" so that I have the info of the crop and status there of in the logs.

With Wolic even the growth stages might even have a influence on the skilling.

At 75 skill I get the best with Garlic and Onions like the others said and second best is wemp and cotton.

For your skill (around 60) Grains or wemp and cotton if you don't want to use a scythe would be best.

But you should still get some gains from pumpkins I still grow them because they make good bulky meals to feed animals and I do get ticks from them,

{I use a 30ql 70coc rake}

I don't know what Akaedis is talking about with failing using a 1ql rake.  I've played for years and currently ay 99.95 farming.  I've NEVER had a failed action farming with a rake.  And yes, a skiller rake is best for gaiing skills.

a 60ql item at high skill will get you skill ticks. And a 5 ql rake is more likely to get you a big skill tick, But, Their is a HUGE drawback that many overlook, You can and WILL fail many actions with a 5ql rake. Yes, Your big tick will be great, But a 30ql rake with 100coc is far superior to a 5ql rake with 101coc. Why? Because your not gonna fail 1/3 of your actions, Their gonna be successes and give you that skill tick. 

Uhh...no. As others have said, that's not how it works.  It works similarly to mining  It's all about the crop's difficulty relative to your farming skill and rake QL.  If, like the OP, you're farming an easy crop (pumpkins) with decent skill (58) you're going to need to use a low QL rake.

If he was farming something harder--say onions--he'd need a very high QL rake.

I don't know what Akaedis is talking about with failing using a 1ql rake.  I've played for years and currently ay 99.95 farming.  I've NEVER had a failed action farming with a rake.  And yes, a skiller rake is best for gaiing skills.

When you get "the field is tended." in your event window, that's a farming failure. You've probably gotten a lot of them in the past.

A failure is when you get this message: The field is tended

While the message does indicate that you have successfully tended the field, and that the field does get "put in order" so that you cannot farm it again immediately after, this message is telling you that you have failed the action resulting in no skill gain and no additional crops will be harvested.

Like all things in Wurm, if you complete an action and fail (i.e. get a 1ql shard, ore or log, or fail to produce that healing cover/lock/rope etc) you do not get a skill tick for it. In addition, if you succeed too well (i.e. get a 40+ql shard or log, produce a 40+ healing cover/lock/rope etc) you also will not get a skill tick for it. It seems you get skill ticks for mediocre results (between 1.01ql and 39.99ql). The problem with farming (and some other situations) is that it is not clear exactly what the "roll" was that determined success, mediocrity or failure. They did add those messages for farming and it does seem that they indicate the range that the roll landed.

Another example is when you mine a 20ql vein and get a 20ql ore from it. It is impossible to know what the actual roll was to determine success. It could have been 35 (which results in a skill tick) or it could have been 70 (which would result in no tick). In the end, either way the ore gets capped at 20ql due to the vein ql and you never get to see if it was a success or a mediocre roll.

As far as adjusting rake quality in the 1-10 range, this would be a much lower quality in comparison to one used for mining for best gains. Maybe this lower rake quality range makes it different than other skills? 

=Ayes=

Except you WANT a 1 QL steel pickaxe with high CoC for mining gains too. My curved mining skill is about 98.4 right now, and with higher than 3 QL I noticed a dramatic decrease in skillgains. Have been doing silver ore with good results from about 83ish? (was a year ago) when I moved from slate.

I keep a modest farm size compared to most dedicated farmers. For the last 2 months I have been farming garlic and corn using a non fancy 45ish ql rake with a starting 50coc cast. Since I started running SB (about 1 mo now) while farming, I am now 77. I always get more farming skill from harvesting and more soul depth (yum) from farming the tile. One of my friends said that planting crops on a slight slope also increases difficulty.  I hope that helps some.