Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Trying out PVP - a PVE perspective - Week 1

Maurizio:

I should be a bit more clear about challenge too. In addition to my earlier comment I should also mention that my starting location likely played a major part in my experience there. I didn't start at a front line deed, I started at the other one. I suspect that if I had started at the one experiencing combat I would likely have found the glue to keep me more engaged on Challenge. It would have given me the purpose (perhaps helping build defenses etc) that I didn't find when starting away from the action. This was also a big part of my decision to join the front lines on Epic by going to Elevation instead of a home island.

As far as Chaos goes well let me confess to a little story that runs through my head from time to time:

"In the early days the Freedom Isles focused it's attention on arresting and turning around the rapid fall of civilization that had overwhelmed many of the older provinces of Freedom. Unfortuantely other kingdoms were formed as seceding elements broke away. No where was this more prevelant then the Island of Chaos. As time passed one faction began to assert it's dominance over all of the others.

Fearing the potential impact on the remaining islands of the empire the Freedom King became concerned and decided that it was now time to reassert his dominance upon the breakway province. A call to arms was issued, trade blockade imposed and a massive military training campaign initiated. Several months passed and then on a sunny morning a multi-prong invasion occured and the first pledge of loyalty was received by a former rebel on Chaos. More news to follow....."

To more directly answer your question one of Wurm's critical deliverables for me is the sheer amount of different things there are to try. Chaos is another area that I haven't tried yet (other then my one rescue mission on Chaos when I was killed by some eaglespirits). Wouldn't it be fun to have 300 well trained freedom island warriors invade Chaos across five beach heads and have some rapid successes at least initially as power dynamics change?

As a PVE player one concern I have with Chaos is how personal it seems to get for some. I want to play a game, enjoy combat with others and yet at the end of the day still be willing to shake the person's hand and acknowledge the good fight. In reading forum posts sometimes the emotion that comes across seems to imply a much deeper emotion including sometimes hatred. If anything would deter me from Chaos it would be that element.

I answered the specific questions poised with my last paragraph. Please let's not derail the thread based on that.

~Nappy

• Like 1

As a PVE player one concern I have with Chaos is how personal it seems to get for some. I want to play a game, enjoy combat with others and yet at the end of the day still be willing to shake the person's hand and acknowledge the good fight. In reading forum posts sometimes the emotion that comes across seems to imply a much deeper emotion including sometimes hatred. If anything would deter me from Chaos it would be that element.

one big reason I left chaos. well said.

Great post there Nappy. I to agree that chaos politics is mostly today based on hatred, it is one of the problems I've always had with chaos and the main reason why I've always tried to start something up that would be different and perhaps change the tide. Chaos in a way like freedom isles has the same type of situations like back stabbers and such, and rather the, focusing on real politics.

Anyway I was just wondering and finally a straight answer about the outlook is given. Thanks for taking the time to comment, just know that things can change If there are enough people to help it change. I am looking forward to seeing a possible Freedom attack on chaos, I think it would be fun and different for a change.

Cool, so we need about 299 more fighters now and a blessing from King Rolf himself in order to launch the invasion of Chaos to reclaim the island for the empire.

I can get down with this post. I'd like another update : p

• Like 1

Keep on keepin' on brother. I look forward to the second installment of your 'Epic' adventures. :)

It's always good to read things like this, and I hope you continue posting.

Edited by Fawkes

It's good to hear positive stories from the pvp servers.  I look forward to reading updates on your progress Nappy.

This is probably one of my favorite threads on these forums so far, I feel like logging back in after reading this. I'm looking forward to reading more from you Nappy. Good work and have fun man!

The OP gives me an awesome feeling of nostalgia of the first time I tried out Epic.

Anyone even slightly curious about the 'other' side of Wurm should absolutely hop onto Epic for a weekend and give it a bash.

I've found I prefer the longer game of Chaos, but it's much easier to get a quick start off in Epic and feel like you can contribute sooner.

• Like 1

The real question is is it worth the time knowing eventually all your efforts and loot will be destroyed in the long run?

I 100% agree that PvP gives a better community and some aspects could be used in pve to do just that.

Glad to see the narrative, hope to read more.

Lots of cool and interesting things are happening in week two so expect to see an update as the week closes out.

I will try to answer some of the questions asked in this thread as well.

Thanks for the feedback/encouragement.

~Nappy

What do you mean Judus? 

Getting raided?

or the server resets?

The real question is is it worth the time knowing eventually all your efforts and loot will be destroyed in the long run?

I 100% agree that PvP gives a better community and some aspects could be used in pve to do just that.

Glad to see the narrative, hope to read more.

Why does all your effort have to be destroyed? And why would you leave all your loot out in the open to be looted? These are some,of the real questions.

My answers to both of those questions...

All of your efforts don't have to come to an end if you are to play your cards right. Pvp is a political game over all. There's sometimes allies or just groups fighting for the same cause or allies that turn into enemies. There's all sorts of agendas that come and go, start and die. Kingdoms rise and fall, so do groups. It doesn't have to come to an end, but let's say that the group you or I belongs to loses everything and it did come to an end, well then we should be asking ourselves what in the world did we do wrong, who did we screw over that no one came,to help, even if that help means it benefits another party. Fact is and this is actual fact... None of the chaos kingdoms/groups have come to an end due to being raided till the end... They have come to an end because players break up and recruits leave and groups and,kingdoms die on their own.

Lastly about loot. If You are on chaos with experienced players, no one will let,you leave your valuables out to be taken in a raid situation. I got lazy and lost pretty well over 1g worth of loot only because I got,lazy, but I have since,then tripled my lose in gains. And this time around even if my deed we're to be taken to the ground I would lose maybe a whole 20s.

To add a little bit to Maurizio, I'd like to mention that, lofty goal though it may be, I am hoping to try to change the attitude in PvP, at least on Epic. The total hate, especially when raiding the enemy needs to go for the PvP community to breathe. I got so many friends that now play in enemy kingdoms that it shouldn't be that hard to try to get people to work together to be sociable to each other, even in PvP. It's honestly the only thing we haven't tried as a community to bring everyone together, so to speak.

Basically, what I'd like to see is raiding and PvP, but without all the total destruction of deeds all the way to the ground, just to spite the other side.

I think it can happen, at least on Epic. Chaos would have to work a lot harder on that with all the history it has.

• Like 1

Destroyed as in server resets not loot in raids.

Cant you say the same about freedom? Yeah sure its about work, but the fun outweighs the work.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

glad to hear you've been having a good time so far. these weekly updates seem like theyll be an interesting read, def look forward to reading about your journey.

Coming from someone who has also just left freedom, for PvP, {though, Epic was not the path I chose.} I can relate to and agree with Nappy about the camaraderie. Though, On chaos the numbers are much lower if you are not a member of the larger kingdom, the feeling is much the same. Keep the updates coming, Epic is an interesting ruleset, and a different experience. One I enjoy reading about.