Sign in to follow this  
Nappy

Trying out PVP - a PVE perspective - Week 1

The launch of Epic's new Elevation map also coincided with a decision to give Wurm PVP a try using my PVE shipbuilding premium alt.

A week has now passed and it's been an interesting experience so far.

The key theme this week has been building up the deed. In many ways the experience is very similar to the PVE experience of building a new deed although one very important difference is that 30+ people are working with you on building up that deed at the same time.

The threat of a possible raid by an opposing team seems to be a strong glue that binds individuals together. There are more examples of people helping each other then you typically see in PVE. Also of note is that buying gear with silver is almost impossible to do. Items are shared and freely given instead.

The interesting thing about working together so closely is that this seems to result in a much more village/community game then you find on Freedom currently. Perhaps if PVE had mob invasions that required more focus on defenses or working together then something similar could be achieved.

During the week a few small skirmishes happened along with a PVP raid from an opposing kingdom. When the raid occured fellow villagers scrambled to the alert, standing beside their comrades and contacting offline villagers when possible. Within 30 minutes the raid was over and the "loot" made available to the village.

On a personal level this week has been about building the basic skills on my character. As I type this my body control has just reached 20.81, another .19 and I can ride a horse!

Fighting skill is now at 1.07 so I am still some ways away from killing a spider or even a lowly wildcat on my own.

It's been fun so far. It will be interesting to see what next week holds.

~Nappy

• Like 38

Great to see a post like this for a change! It is very much in line with my own experiences.

I hope you keep having a great time :)

Always good to see more players turn towards pvp, good luck for your future ventures and keep us updated on your progress!

This is what I like to see. It's not always about PvP. More PvP happen on the forums then in-game tbh.

This is why I like sponsoring freedom players when I get the chance. Although trying to change the distaste that has been instilled into many freedom players is pretty hard.

• Like 1

As a confirmed PvE player, I find this post to be very interesting and informative. Making a diary-style set of posts would make a good read.

Good luck in your new world- I look forward to reading some more of your 'adventure'.

Great to read this, im pretty sure that most ppl that play on freedom have a very wrong view on the wurm "pvp" servers. This should change coz its biased, but as Ace said, this is very hard to achieve.

Very nice post Nappy. Thank you for this story and I'm looking forward to see more post like that:) 

Hope to see you on ele in local :) Greetings and Good luck.

Reading with interest. As a long time pve player with interest in pvp I'm looking forward to future updates. :)

Keep it up Nappy, your post is what I've tried for the longest time to explain to everyone. But what shines brighter is all the drama that spills over on the forums so PVE players get the wrong idea. I'm very glad to see PVE players seeing the true side of what PVP is about.

• Like 1

Keep everyone informed!

PvP isn't as bad of a place as people make it out to be, we have quite a few PvE-ers that joined up with us when we founded our PMK and they seem to be having a blast too.

• Like 1

Great to read this, im pretty sure that most ppl that play on freedom have a very wrong view on the wurm "pvp" servers. This should change coz its biased, but as Ace said, this is very hard to achieve.

Here's what I find "wrong" about the Epic cluster (because I know that's what you're referring to when you say wurm pvp):

1) Skillsets are segregated. Anything you do over there means nothing on the original cluster and vice versa.

2) Skill gains are borked (buffed), so it's easy mode. (and the source as to why the skillsets are segregated)

Until those two things are changed (which they never will be), there is only one PVP option worth my time; Chaos. Playing on Epic is as "fruitful"/satisfying as playing on the test servers.

Good luck trying to change that viewpoint from Freedomers.

• Like 1

Here's what I find "wrong" about the Epic cluster (because I know that's what you're referring to when you say wurm pvp):

1) Skillsets are segregated. Anything you do over there means nothing on the original cluster and vice versa.

2) Skill gains are borked (buffed), so it's easy mode. (and the source as to why the skillsets are segregated)

Until those two things are changed (which they never will be), there is only one PVP option worth my time; Chaos. Playing on Epic is as "fruitful"/satisfying as playing on the test servers.

Good luck trying to change that viewpoint from Freedomers.

I'm not sure a post could sound any more bitter than this one right here. Someone had some fun bro, maybe you should check the Debbie Downer attitude at the door.

• Like 7

BTW, glad you are having fun Nappy. It's a big server, so you should have plenty of room and safety to explore and gain some skills without getting a beat down.

Thank-you for all the replies and feedback. A couple of additional points came up as a result.

I actually chose Epic because it was a complete separation from Freedom. Sure I have to rebuild my skills but I also don't have to worry about losing the skills I have already built either.

I played about 8 hours of challenge in the past (4 hours each time) and surprisingly didn't like the fast skill gain. On Epic the skill gain feels alot better. It's not challenge fast so you still appreciate the skill you do achieve and you are also forced to consider where you want to focus your effort. When things are too easy it's very simple just to go in all directions.

The village perspective is different as well. I am noticing a real personal desire to identify a weak skill area in the village that I can fill to make us all stronger. It doesn't really matter what area that is right now. This role specialization is interesting too because it more closely matches what I think happened historically in real life.

As I skill up I intend to go on PVP raids, ambushes, cutting out expeditions etc. I am also going to pay attention to what percentage of the village are fighters versus in support roles. In real life not everyone fought (unless it was down to village fighting in the streets), some people stayed home to do the things to keep the effort going.

Most importantly I am going to keep enjoying the people who are around me and the game I am part of.

• Like 4

I'm not sure a post could sound any more bitter than this one right here. Someone had some fun bro, maybe you should check the Debbie Downer attitude at the door.

I wasn't commenting about the OP's post, or his enjoyment. I'm glad to hear that someone got a good experience from their gameplay, no matter what cluster/map/etc they got it from. 

My comment was specifically directed to Lorena and his/her comment.

Also, where exactly are you finding bitterness in what I said? It was a sincere comment. Epic, because it's segregated, is a waste of my time. To me, it's the same as actively playing on the test server. I am sure I am not the only PVEer to have that opinion. Lorena commented that "most ppl that play on freedom have the wrong view" and claimed it a bias. I explained my "bias", and how easily it could/couldn't be changed... that's all.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Please keep this from degenerating into a PVE vs PVP or a Chaos vs Epic thread.

My intent in writing this was to share an experience that others might either be interested in reading about or even giving it a try. I do not want this to further divide the community.

~Nappy

• Like 6

Please keep this from degenerating into a PVE vs PVP or a Chaos vs Epic thread.

~Nappy

This will probably require some moderator assistance. :P Edited by Rockmod

The interesting thing about working together so closely is that this seems to result in a much more village/community game then you find on Freedom currently. Perhaps if PVE had mob invasions that required more focus on defenses or working together then something similar could be achieved.

Naturally the pvp game play is a more group oriented one; however, many players enjoy the PvE game style because it is more the opposite of this, enabling independence from the need to rely upon others. This is why I do not at all like your suggestion above of mob invasions on PvE servers that would force the need for others to group together to defeat them.

Along this line of thinking, I do not see group play and co-operation as being more valued than an independent one. Better is giving the option to chose either or some combination of both. Personally I don't like to have to rely on others for much and certainly don't care to be put into a position where I would need to ask for anyone's help by a play style (pvp) that would contribute to this.

It is fine that you are enjoying pvp there but remember fewer of the PvE population want to be so dependent upon others, nor adjust their play style to accommodate coordinated efforts. I see no virtue in this but rather just a preference of group play. Also remember, if others comments to not concur with your viewpoint they are not attempting to make it "degenerate into a PvE vs pvp thread". If you can't handle reading others opinions that disagree with yours then better not to make a post on these forums.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

Ayes,

My idle comment about mob invasions was no more then a comment about how a similar event could occur on PVE. Other activities that also achieve group efforts are building highways, and imp-o-thons. As someone who is a hermit on his PVE deeds I can relate to the hermit lifestyle too and certainly think the game should remain open to all play styles.

As far as other people's opinions I believe I have a demonstrated history in these forums of accepting the opinions of others. With that said the reason for my comment was a strong desire to have the thread remain on topic rather then veer off into an off-topic direction.

~Nappy

• Like 2

This is great!

You really described the feeling of living on a PvP server well, hope to see more entries.

• Like 2

You'll eventually notice that the different subcultures on Epic are very similar to that of the other servers. There are those that have the ability to spend loads of time grinding lots of skill. There are those that will hardcore grind on weekends. There are the casual players. There are builders and fighters. There are griefers and landhogs, hoarders and hermits. Then there are the vast majority of players that will do a combination of all of these, if granted enough time.

Over time, you'll make friends with plenty of people, and you might even hate a few. You'll watch friends become enemies, and enemies become friends. From time to time you'll see the entire kingdom show up for events and mega projects, and you'll also see some ridiculous projects built by lone players. Hell, there might even be a couple times a kingdom will team up with another to enjoy the game. You'll have as much fun fighting and winning as you will fighting and dying, if you can keep the proper attitude.

Just remember to have fun.

• Like 9

As i've said many time, I really thing the pvp game as a whole is the best part of the game and the most realisitc, I woud live on a pvp server if my time would allow me to spend hours upon hours in game, but thats not the casr, so freedom is great for the afker player as myself.

Keep posting Nappy, it's great to see people perspective on pvp servers.

Nappy I'd like to ask you a question. You mentioned you tried challenge but didn't really like it, I understand why that is. You now have tried epic and you clearly now can see a different side of pvp. My question to you now is being what you now know would you be inclined to some day try chaos? And whatever your answer is please describe why you feel the way you feel.

Edited by MaurizioAM

I think a lot of pve guys have plans to go and try pvp on chaos, I'm one of them. The moment will come when you face my glory... Or more likely see me fall :-)

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1