Sign in to follow this  
Zera

[Xanadu] Race Track

While having a lovely visit from a new friend Genevieve, after curing my poor foal of a Corruption bug I had a thought.

Considering the idea that our beloved Horses aren't providing much more than Cart pulling and Transportation from one location to another, they are otherwise usually just found sitting around our Deed Pens munching away on our grass and crops.

Imagine if there was somewhere you could go, with a bunch of other people looking to use their Equine friends for so much more than laboring tasks around deed or transportation. Somewhere that people could gather to enjoy each others company and truly see who's horse was the fastest of the fast.

Now I've seen a thread created not too long ago about a Cross Country Horse Race. But this was an event over quite a bit of terrain and perhaps wasn't exactly the easiest or safest way to approach competing with one another. Considering I can image that there would be Trolls, Fiends and other dangers for every player who decided to partake, and perhaps a few people might've even died or lost their way to never actually complete the race in the first place.

Personally I imagine a more controlled environment, with a start and finish line where player's could ride within a safe track, without Hostile's riding on your tail every gallop of the way. Where each Race event would be more controlled as to who could and couldn't enter as well.

Where each entry of the Cross Country appeared to favor horses of the top Speed Breeding pools, with the best of the best gear, and anyone without these things were left in their dust.. What of the players who couldn't even ride Horses yet?

I hope to host a Track that would encourage all kinds of Race types. From the typical Horse Back, to Cart Races, and perhaps even some of the more 'strange' types. If you're confident in your well bred Bulls or Bison and want to enter them into any sort of Race, who is to stop you?

Proving a complete Track is entirely possible, with varying terrain and terrain obstacles such as different pavements, mossy terrain and other things that players would either have to find a way to avoid or push through to maintain their place in the run.

I'd like to be able to provide winners prizes for Grand Events that we'd be able to host on a more scheduled date.

Prizes could include a Free Horse, Horse Gear, and other Goodies too.

How many people would be interested in this sort of thing? What things do you think could use improving in this idea or should be added/removed?

Edited by Zera
  • Like 3

Hey Daecie, Genevieve here. ^^ I think this is a great idea, especially with prizes of horses, horse gear and perhaps other stuff. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with if you go ahead with setting it up. I'd like to go watch a few races, they were always fun in impalongs(especially the cow races). Definitely looking forward to seeing this become a realized idea! :)

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, horses are not slowed by moss or other terrain types. Perhaps some kind of large doughnut shaped building with fences in the middle to create a sort of "circular" race track. This seems like a pretty great idea and I will be happy to come and help out in the construction of the track in any way I can, if any help is needed feel free to PM me here on the forums or in game under Malicarth. :)

EDIT: I am also happy to provide horse shoes if a blacksmith is needed

Edited by Malicarth

Built a horse track on my Indy deed a few years back (deed name ironically is Xanadu). Had a few race days, was lots of fun. You can put a starting gate in as well. Depending on how wide you make your track, put a building with all locked doors on one side. When the riders hear the "click" , They're off.   The starting gate would be set just a bit back from the oval and lead into the first straight-away. As a caution to make the riders not cut the turns to close, make a 41 tile slope inner area. This inner area can be used for officials to view the race.

The biggest problem was the finish line. Unfortunately, the way the game works, some people see the horses in a different order. So a close finish (like two or three tiles), some people say "X" horse won, and others see "Y" horse win. Both groups are correct, that is the way they saw it. That pretty much lead to the downfall of horse racing at my track. I"m not sure if it's something to do with the graphics or what, maybe someone else that knows more about Java would be able to explain it. Be sure to test that kind of thing out before you get too deep into the project. Gather a group of 10 people or so, get 5 others to run around for a bit then all head to a make-shift finish line and ask everyone who they saw cross first.

Good luck with it all.

PS. My track is still there, starting gate and all, just over grown with plant life. Would be happy to give you a tour of it to show you what it looks like, if you ever want to come to the north central part of Indy. Let me know.

Edited by Gumbo

A great idea indeed. Gumbo i would love to visit your track sometime ı admire a lot special places.

To sort the finish issue it could be some trigger of an event log entry like racers have to drop some item at the finish tile.

Edited by Jaz

Edited by Jaz

Edited by Jaz

Oh apologies. The mobile forum version went berserk on me and posted my reply five times. May I ask a mod to clear this mess? Thanks...

Edited by Jaz

Seen a race track on Deli, but not called Xanadu, it's called The Collsium. Stills looks to be sued for merchants.