Sign in to follow this  
MrCk

What do you look for ina deed?

I am curious as to which attributes and resources attract you when placing a deed? What are your personal requirements and which are bonuses?

Any example pictures of deeds would be lovely to see too!

Is it a free spot?

- Yes

Do I wanna use 200k dirt on this?

- Yes

PERFECT DEED

• Like 3

#1 must be coastal

#2 a challenge when it comes to terraforming

#1 Coastal

#2 Must be natural resources near

#3 Must have neighbours

#4 Must be big

#5 Must have everything

#6 Etc.

• Like 1

#1. A bit in-land - I'm not real crazy about the coastal sounds/views, and would rather have the ambience of the forest.

#2. A 5 minute or so horse ride from the coast, to make deliveries easier.

#3. This is important: a mine that runs under the deed. I hate digging down trying to find rock (those big mine holes are ugly), so I look for a place on a small hill, with a rock face already showing somewhere close to the edge of the deed.

#4. Iron is a must. Other ores are bonuses.

#5. Not a ton of people around - I like to get away from the heavily populated areas, but a handful of neighbors are fine.

#6. Close access to tar & clay.

Anything else, I can change to my liking. My current deed is perfect, it hit all these criteria plus has a beautiful view.

Edited by Moxie

#1 Coastal

#2 Near a friend or 2

#3 MIne is must

#4 Am I willing to drop 40k dirt on it

#5 NO marsh

That sums up my Xan deed and yep, I love it.

Icing on the cake,

Clay

Peat

Edited by Chiqa

In pvp terms: 

Favourable terrain; cliffs, mountain, choke point ridges and valleys

Resources; clay, iron

Location; at or near open water

optional; in a key position to hold kingdom assets or hinder enemies, etc.

In the past when I've played on Freedom however, my preferences were:

Coastal, with access to clay and ideally peat and tar too.

Fairly flat terrain, or abutting a mountain or sizeable ridge with a reasonably straight edge.

The reason I go for flatter areas is it allows me to build up, instead of having to tear down first, then build up.  Always enjoyed terraforming, but surface mining is retarded and introduces an unnecessary RNG to deed building. 

As a ship builder I need something coastal. Only other requirements is that it needs clay and tar within a reasonable distance, and plenty of trees away from a populated area for me to cut down and to build a tree nursery. 

Neighbors are preferable, but I also like to be close to towns and/or markets if possible.

I like to know if there is a healthy sheep population where I am going to settle. Also if there are wildcats I tend to stay away since they can be pretty vicious.

• Like 1

do i like the landscape?

everything else is just bonus.

• Like 1

is the mayor friendly, and not a slavemaster?

i had a deed once, but after about 6 months decided being a mayor wasnt for me,

i loathe responsibilities in a game.

I looked for enough raw land that was flat enough i could get a house and small farm started by week one.  That done, the magic starts.  But, I love terraforming...

never made a deed in me life.

but, if I may:

for enclosures, I first off look close to starter city if I'm on a home server to start up my resources.

after I have the cart/wagon and animals I want to pull it as well as horses.  then. . .

I look for spots that have no current neighbors, resources nearby(iron and clay a must) and am I willing to spend a week digging it to my specs:

If I'm heading to Ele, it's to be part of a village.  never wanted to live on Ele by myself, because Ele is for pvp, and I suck at pvp as it is.

Same as most people, but I can be a little more picky:

Necessities:
* Ocean coastal - Needed for travel, and I don't have time to navigate thin, inland lakes (and their canals) with the horrible wind system we have.
* Rock - preferably have prospected at least iron from the surface.
* Clay
* Tar
* No marsh. Will remove all that can be removed.
* No islands. Generally stay away from them because of the lack of rock and the lack of critter spawns.

Luxuries:
* Peat
* Hunting grounds nearby - desert, steppe, meadows
* Nice neighbors/no neighbors

In spite of being a very independent person who mainly does their own thing with not excessive interaction with others, all my deeds are very close to starter Villages. I like to see a lot of activity from others in the area as I wander around noting their progress. Fun to see newbies learning and enjoying the game too.

=Ayes=

A minimum amount of people I will eventually want to choke to death.

I think i'm on my 25th deed now.

-coastal is my first thought

-clay on or near deed, as we always need mortar. so got to think buy it or save and make it.  easy to place sand on dirt so not important

-mine area, (for me doesn't need to be big as I would just buy a rod and make what I want, i'm lasy)

-now a days I hate having to landscape for months. so I look for what I think I could have done within 2 months of digging, (spent 2 yrs landscaping really)

-large enough to make my own tree farm

-and now after seeing so many really cool deeds, I look for what could I do to make mine eye candy for others to see.

bought a huge deed SW xanadu for 1 gold coin last yr.  now selling it off, as I found an island mostly landscaped and ready to make what I been wanting for yrs, a venice looking market place with beach homes, and using bridges.

• Like 1

This is easy

#1 Access to Sufficient amount's of Water

#2 Clay & Preferably tar

#3 Lot's of rock & nobody around really

#4 Optional: A GREAT View of the world

Epic server:
- Must be far from coast
- Must be far from coast
- Not coastal
- VERY difficult to access from coast
- Must be far from coast

• Like 1

#1 How well will the location support the optimal farm, a flat rectangle,  and do this with least effort needed to transform the land. An example of an optimal farm is a strip of land that is long, narrow and flat. My deed now is 15x60.

#2 I like to avoid things that tend to attract neighbors - water front property; roads and potential future road spots ("potential" is often hard to judge); lots of flat land (kinda conflicts with #1); natural hunting grounds like steppe, tundra, deserts. For me, neighbors are bad. My ideal location would be where no one ever comes into local and I mean ever. My first deed on Xana was by Vrock spawn and that was a big mistake.

#3 The rock layer under the deed must be deep enough to make a mine below.

#4 in the past I've wanted iron veins but I'm at a point now where I need utmost veins and its better to make them with trader trinket vein rods. Gold would be nice.

it seems its usually a balancing act between locations that require lots of effort to transform (often having plenty of isolation) and locations that tend to have other players around (often being very easy to transform and convenient for travel in general).

• Like 1