Sign in to follow this  
Battlepaw

Relocate or remove Hunter's Lodge on Chaos

Just why is that deed there anyways?   It just came up in a recent debate over the HOTA, and I am still scratching my head trying to figure it out.    

No other HOTA zone in wurm needed some sort of special spawn point.     Hell new players that spawn there can't even use the HOTA because they are likely free-to-play anyways and there are requirements to capping pillars now.    

It's a dinosaur.

That said I can see it being useful if the intent was to give players from the Freedom isles a place to fall back to when they come to run the HOTA (I have yet to see that happen in all the years since it started)  

To that end the location would make better sense south at the coast, where they could sail in from Freedom and park their ships there while they try and run the HOTA, or keep horses there.     Landlocked as it is, it's completely useless as a fall back point for the current cluster demographics.      

Also, I don't see how any freedom players running the HOTA would able to gain anything by Hunter's Lodge existing at all.  As far as I know it's public, meaning that anyone can just wait there if indeed the trophy would spawn at the token and scoop it up, if indeed that is what happens.  I have no evidence that anyone without an existing deed can actually participate in the HOTA at all, and no one can get added to hunter's lodge.    

So.... er why is Hunter's Lodge there?    Can the Devs actually respond to this one?   

Edited by Battlepaw

Yes Reset chaos. and Keep only 3 start points.

Edited by XxXForgottenXxX

Yes Reset chaos. and Keep only 3 start points.

Er how do you get "Yes" from me asking about the current positioning of a starter deed that is completely obsolete?    

heheheheh.  

What will you name the deed that's going to replace it?

+/-1

There should be no deeds near HotA at all, but this argument is made under false pretenses. This is just a "GMs please clear land for MR" argument. You have disintegrate for that.

physically move it to the east coast, so that freedomers who come to Chaos to sell an affinity and forgot to arrange transport back to freedom have an easier time getting back.

Going to preface this by saying that I am in no way shape or form a member of wurmonline's staff (I see what you did there bp)

The deed of hunters lodge gives first time freedom cluster pvpers an excellent first hand look at the pvp opportunities available on chaos. From here they can see various opposing factions staring from as much as one tile offdeed while trying to decide whether the account in local is bait or a newb to spawn kill.

Should they manage to retain the skill they will surely have lost from spawn killing they can venture further into the hota zone itself. Here they will find to its North a massive dirtspike deed with an access ramp onto the hota itself, which is protected to the north by a trench made by a process known as strongwall mining which ofcourse is not yet considered a bug but allows rock slopes in excess of 99 skill.

Further west but still on the north side is bad move, a delightful little deed of no consequence beyond blocking tower capturing.

To the south of this we have a huge expanse of sand hand crafted by people who found mousing over hota pillars to be an exacerbating experience. Much easier to create an ebig hueg desert amirite.

Further east we have both the ruins of Gideons Army and the current one. The original was the only fun deed in the area. It despite being a homestead was the site of some fun pvp and close calls for many groups.There is certainly something about slopes over 200 dirt high that simply seems to take the fun out of things and turn it into work. Moving on.

Throughout the hota zone you will also find numerous roads, laid out in such a fashion that even the bravest warrior should be able to find a deed to run away to (just incase pvp should ever happen)

Our meandering travels now bring us to the south east corner where we find fort freedom and it's front desk, (the name of which fails to occur to me)

Best description for it would go something like "yo dawg I heard you like dirt wall, so we put dirt on yo dirt, you dig". Converted during some drama that I can't even fathom using a bugged mechanic that since was fixed this deed has limited access points and is a mockery of a design.

Now tldr you get to see how the current mechanics make wurm pvp a poor experience at best while not having to invest in more than a free account and some time

• Like 1

Er how do you get "Yes" from me asking about the current positioning of a starter deed that is completely obsolete?    

heheheheh.  

Its just hashi trolling. He has been using his alt forum accounts to post about how chaos needs a reset, derailing threads constantly. He did it to Rolf's own thread.

Anyways, it doesn't affect me but I say +1 because you are right. It is useless.

Heh I got a bit of a chuckle out of Post's little nickel tour there.    Anways, I think you missed the topic next to this one you started, and can't justify as to why we need to use dev intervention to break a kingdom away from the HOTA, when that same said kingdom was able to use game mechanics to break JK away from it in the first place.   

Anyways... back on topic.    You did point out one important thing, and that is new players.    I don't honestly see how Hunter's Lodge does, and in fact ever did make a great enviroment for new players.   I remember it back when newbies actually tried to live there, before FF, and our own interactions with FF before it converted was a good indication it was never a great idea to put new players in the middle of contested territory.     

When Wild was changed to Chaos, all the kingdoms were disbanded, and everyone was freedom isles for a while.   My own theory was that Hunter's lodge was supposedly intended as neutral ground, but really never was because it didn't take the Dev team long to realize that PMKs would be a better idea on Chaos, especially after all the freaking drama and almost complete abandonment of the Chaos server.   After PMKs were introduced, the HOTA really never could be Netural ground and never can be.    

Hell putting a Freedom Isles deed near the HOTA wouldn't be a horrible idea, if players from freedom could port there from the freedom servers to participate in the HOTA, or try and take that risky sail in, but honestly this isn't the kind of server for that.   You need an established deed here at least because you need horses, and you need a way to coordinate your logistics.   It dosn't do any good to run into Hunter's lodge if an enemy can just take out a few wooden fences to get to you.       

At least with a port deed you could possibly make a run for it, though I have my doubts about that.   Either way, the stupid thing is an anacronysm and a leftover rather than anything that actually makes sense.   

Edited by Battlepaw

-1 If a player from freedom wants to see what hota is, they can make an alt and poof, they are there, this can give interest to player to look more into chaos.

-1 If a player from freedom wants to see what hota is, they can make an alt and poof, they are there, this can give interest to player to look more into chaos.

They can also do that from the south coast/bay or whatnot. (It's easier to watch the HOTA from there anyways.) I don't think that I've seen any alts really make it far out of Hunter's lodge before meeting tower guards or becoming lunch for local wildlife that builds up in the HOTA area.   

Honestly though I've rarely if ever seen any freedom players take any interest in actually running the HOTA anways.   You can't just "see" what the HOTA is if you can't participate.   Hunter's lodge dosn't do a dang thing to encourage anyone to partipate.  They spawn there, they run out and run into some sort of mishap, or they blunder into someone's territory.     There is seriously only one Freedom tower left, and it's right next to the JK war deed.     I've seen the same dang thing at GC, I had to put signs up because I got tired of picking the bodies up and tossing them back into GC.     

Edited by Battlepaw