Sign in to follow this  
Tuanta

Option to dig "gather" dirt/sand without lowering height

Brynden, just because you don't have a particular problem doesn't mean the problem does't exist for others.

Sarcaticous, if I ran out of dirt I, also, would dredge, or buy it, or if desperate use my Fo to make it.

The issue is some people with huge projects use less community friendly measures to get their dirt. Some servers seem to have a deeper dirt layer than others. Deli has always seemed dirt poor, and as mentioned in my first post, one player there is upsetting many by digging perims and steppe to rock to allow him to build his monument. I'm sure many people have had this issue at times and the general disharmony it causes detracts from the game.

Reading the OP I assumed that was the reason Tuanta made this suggestion. Not to make dirt gathering easier, but to avoid large areas of 'community land' being reduced to rock.

This is a very good suggestion! Why? Because you will be using the exact same action timer per your skill and item to "gather" dirt in this way as you would if you actually "dug" it out and lowered the ground in the process. Furthermore, it will eliminate the problem of areas dug down into crazy contours that are a blight on the environment and disrupt further positive uses for it. Sure, players could still use dig rather than gather to destroy areas but then their intent to do so will be pretty clear.

The only part of the digging for dirt process it removes it the necessity to move around if one doesn't want to sculpt (terraform) the land. Digging for clay, tar and peat do not have this movement requirement though, so I see no need for "gathering" dirt and sand to have it either.

Actually it is not a very good suggestion. It is a brilliant one! (Therefore count on it never happening.)

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

I know there is a spell for dirt doesn't make a lot of dirt when you use the spell, not sure why there isn't a spell for sand

facts I know

Dirt is 100% used to shape deeds, so them 20 crates of it is nothing always will need more. gods blessed us with dirt spell.

Sand used for building, need a lot to make mortar, most crafting and building is around mortar, more valuable then dirt I think, gods bless us with sand spell? no...

Edited by Luka
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2015 at 9:02 PM, Lei said:

Its my opinion that if this were added, terraforming would have no real purpose other than making the natural terrain more aesthetically appealing, and to me, that takes a lot of the appeal Wurm has away. 

I'd just like to voice the opposite opinion.

If the only reason people change the shape of the terrain is that they want to change the shape of the terrain, that adds a lot of appeal. Areas that have been dug out and reduced to bare rock - even if covered with a bit of dirt afterwards - are an eyesore.

• Like 1