Sign in to follow this  
Tuanta

Option to dig "gather" dirt/sand without lowering height

It would solve a lot of issues if the option to dig dirt/sand without affecting the height was added. "Gather dirt/sand" for example.

"Like digging peat/clay/moss."

As it stands now, people are crossing servers or running off their deed and pulling dirt/sand from the community environment.

Am I overlooking reasons why this shouldn't be implemented?

Thanks in advance for your constructive communication.

• Like 1

WAY to overpowered. It would make me gathering 10k dirt super easy. 

• Like 1

I imagine people who sell dirt may not be happy with it, but I see a lot of merit in this suggestion.

Presently one player on my server is making a "monument to Fo, a great pillar to reach to the sky", which he says has 40K dirt in it so far and will need another 25 to 30K to finish. This dirt has mainly been taken from the steppe, which he has dug down to rock in many areas, and says he will cover with one dirt to allow steppe to regrow. Many people are upset as he also tends to dig right up to perims.

Now, before all you 'deed it or lose it'..'it's a sandbox,, don't tell people how to play'.. people get on your high horse, I agree, it is his right. While I'm sad to see the destruction and drama this has caused I am not saying he should be stopped. But if you look at the big picture his actions are going to make it hard for anyone to ever build in those areas, so not great for the game overall.

Tuanta's suggestion would help reduce this type of issue. I'm not a terraformer, and maybe there are reasons why this suggestion can't or shouldn't be implemented, but atm it's a +1 from me.

In a pm someone has pointed out one downside to this suggestion that I see as very valid. "I see benefits and draw back to both ways. On one had it would be nice and easy to just be able to run out and grab all the dirt and sand you need without it affecting the terrain, especially in the case of ---------- destruction of the steppe as we know it. On the other hand dirt was meant to be a finite resource, if made infinite there probably won't be much water areas left on any server." :( 

Edited by lizabeth

What are you saying here Neoruger?..Is this a reason why the suggestion shouldn't be implemented?

Are there Fo priests out there making dirt to sell to those unfortunate enough not to have a Fo available for their epic monuments?...a way around the problem of getting dirt? Just  make a Fo get him to 40 faith and spam dirt spell?...30K dirt later you are half way there ?

Can you clarify your post a little please? 

WAY to overpowered. It would make me gathering 10k dirt super easy. 

How is it overpowered? You still have to do the work.

I agree Tuanta, it is overpowered. Sure, you're still completing actions - but one could easily allocate 300 crates in a circle around one "Dirt digging tile" and fill them in only the amount of time it takes to transfer dirt from inventory to crates. The current way requires you find dirt and move the crates to and from the locations. 

Its my opinion that if this were added, terraforming would have no real purpose other than making the natural terrain more aesthetically appealing, and to me, that takes a lot of the appeal Wurm has away. 

Put simply, its not very realistic to gather 10k dirt from one tile without changing the natural world at all.

• Like 4

I appreciate the reply Lei but i have to be honest, I'm still not seeing the issue here.

You can stand in one place and gather unlimited clay, peat, tar, and moss without affecting the landscape.

The current system has more negative repercussions than positive from what I am seeing.

What other ways can you think of to reduce the desire to pull dirt from non-deeded areas? Please feel free to post them here.

What are you saying here Neoruger?..Is this a reason why the suggestion shouldn't be implemented?

Are there Fo priests out there making dirt to sell to those unfortunate enough not to have a Fo available for their epic monuments?...a way around the problem of getting dirt? Just  make a Fo get him to 40 faith and spam dirt spell?...30K dirt later you are half way there ?

Can you clarify your post a little please? 

Its a very legitimate reason why the suggestion shouldnt be implemented, we have a feature in the game that does work to add dirt without lowering tiles. priests are available to all that wish to create them.

So we should ignore that there are currently ways to gain dirt, buy it, dig it elsewhere or create it via a spell, do we now need a way to create dirt faster without leaving the area your terraforming, perhaps for those wanting fightskill we can let practice dummies give skill is all weapons and fight skill to 100.

• Like 1

While I dont like some of the terraforming being done nowdays-I dont really think making dirt like clay is really a good option.They made dirt and clay the way they are for a reason-dirt eveywhere for people to terraform and clay in small pockets and immovable to be harder for people to monopolize it and yet still stay in small pockets.As far as the Fo spell is concerned-it is an option but it doesnt change the fact that dirt is a finite resource-it barely makes an impact on the number that is lost from bsbs every month:)

• Like 1

I would like to see. if you stand next to cart while you dig those dirt goes inside cart. That get collecting material easier.

• Like 1

-1 from me. Just way to OP. Dirt is meant to be a finite ressource.

I appreciate the reply Lei but i have to be honest, I'm still not seeing the issue here.

You can stand in one place and gather unlimited clay, peat, tar, and moss without affecting the landscape.

The current system has more negative repercussions than positive from what I am seeing.

What other ways can you think of to reduce the desire to pull dirt from non-deeded areas? Please feel free to post them here.

Yes you can collect clay, peat, tar and moss without altering the landscape. But the main difference between those ressources and dirt/sand is that you can't alter the landscape with it once it's collected. So there's no harm in having those as infinite ressources.

• Like 2

this is a hard one but a -1 because in my opinion it takes one of the realistic parts out of the game but on the other side landscape will remain beautifull

How about making those compost bins work, and let us turn old food and other leftovers into dirt!

• Like 6

Takes a long time to grind a priest to the level required to create dirt. And exactly how much dirt can a priest create? Also takes a fair amount of favor. Not like any of this is priest/favor grinding is free. You people pop out, 'make a Fo' like it's no more difficult than breathing. What should be changed is decaying dirt. It doesn't decay. What does it decay to? Dirt? Remove dirt decay instead.

• Like 5

Takes a long time to grind a priest to the level required to create dirt. And exactly how much dirt can a priest create? Also takes a fair amount of favor. Not like any of this is priest/favor grinding is free. You people pop out, 'make a Fo' like it's no more difficult than breathing. What should be changed is decaying dirt. It doesn't decay. What does it decay to? Dirt? Remove dirt decay instead.

This one's actually a good idea.. If the piles everywhere are a problem -> let dirt decay like if it was dropped wherever the pile is

No, compare wurm to the real World - you cant just stand on the same spot and dig up billions of tons of dirt and sand without creating a pit.

Sigh these suggestions...

This one's actually a good idea.. If the piles everywhere are a problem -> let dirt decay like if it was dropped wherever the pile is

100 dirts decay in a single tile after X days, the tile's corners each raise 25 dirts, it slides down slopes just like when you drop it, so forth. I actually like this. Add to it the compost pile (trash bin) suggestion. 

It would probably take a very long time but if enough dirt decays over the years (decades? centuries?), a server would eventually need reset.

• Like 2

-1 to this but +1 for something that allows non-magic users to create dirt out of something (ohai compost heap!)

-1 from me. Just way to OP. Dirt is meant to be a finite ressource.

Yes you can collect clay, peat, tar and moss without altering the landscape. But the main difference between those ressources and dirt/sand is that you can't alter the landscape with it once it's collected. So there's no harm in having those as infinite ressources.

Dirt isn't a finite resource. I can log my Fo priest in and make as much as I have the time and favor to create. Or alternatively, I can go anywhere off deed or in another player's perimeter and dig all I want.

Again, i'm not invested in this solution. I'm invested in coming up with a solution that will reduce the need for players to destroy the non deeded "community" landscape.

Again, if you have a better idea, please share it. Hence my originally asking for constructive communication.

• Like 1

What about a few 'dirt resource tiles per server', Idk  call it red loam tile or something. Make them in starter deeds perim so they can't be 'owned' by players. New players could probably earn a few silver helping fill carts for experienced players who'd rather do other things. Being next to starter town would be a bonus for them.

People would still have to travel to and from , dig and transport the dirt back to their deeds. It would give players with grand projects the option of getting dirt without upsetting their neighbours, or ruining large areas of open land for the next aspiring deed owner.

I know some people would still do what's easiest for them, regardless of the angst it caused, but I think the majority would use such a resource as intended. 

What about a few 'dirt resource tiles per server', Idk  call it red loam tile or something. Make them in starter deeds perim so they can't be 'owned' by players. New players could probably earn a few silver helping fill carts for experienced players who'd rather do other things. Being next to starter town would be a bonus for them.

People would still have to travel to and from , dig and transport the dirt back to their deeds. It would give players with grand projects the option of getting dirt without upsetting their neighbours, or ruining large areas of open land for the next aspiring deed owner.

I know some people would still do what's easiest for them, regardless of the angst it caused, but I think the majority would use such a resource as intended. 

Love it! Great idea.

Never having run out of dirt to terraform with I don't see a need for this. If I were to exhaust the nearby dirt supply I would simply dredge the seemingly endless supply at the bottom of the lakes and seas. The only reason I can see for 'gathering' dirt is to make it easier to accumulate. I just wonder how you would go about growing more dirt since it is a finite material. It isn't a tree nor is it grass to be planted. It doesn't fall out of the sky in copious quantities like rain or snow. You can't grow it as a crop. I can understand why there would be endless clay and tar. Dirt? I think not. -1

Edited by Sarcaticous

you are trying to create a problem that doesnt exist, to then solve it

• Like 1