Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

New Map Dumps! Thanks, BUT...

So we finally got new map dumps! Thank you, devs - I really appreciate them and I'm happy and grateful to be able to see the islands of Wurm as they appear today. Awesome!

However: Those "maps" are not really maps at all. As last time, they are "pseudo-3D" isometric images! I admit: they look terrific, but - to be honest - they are not really useful for any mapping purposes. The isometric pseudo-3D presentation makes the exact placement of locations and landmarks very difficult, if not impossible, to determine, especially in mountain regions.

Here is an example: Dragontooth Peak in the southeast of Deliverance.

HsPRaDo.png  .....  qFtgyGF.png

See what I mean? If we want to draw a "real" map (like the one on the right side) the map dump (left side) is of no great use!

So, here is my request: Please give us 2D map dumps! (These should actually be a lot easier to produce, because they would only plot the x- and y-coordinates of each tile, without the need of performing any time-consuming 3D-calculations!)

• Like 7

Personally I don't really care about actual real maps like the one in the OP, but just being able to see the areas north of mountain ranges would be useful

• Like 1

Clever hermits will be dropping deeds in the northern shadows of mountain :)

+1 for much clearer and easier to read contour "proper" maps

You mean like this?

From another thread:

Here's a "top-down" version:

jenn002-map.png

Versus a southern perspective:

jkfinal.png

With the topography still being able to be detected in both pictures, it's apparent the "top-down" maps show more of the world.

Both map dumps are of the same map, one is a direct overhead view while the other is angled from the south.

I agree, the overhead mapdump is much more helpful.

Either way, I think we're all very grateful for a mapdump in any form, but an overhead perspective maps would be much more helpful for mapping purposes. 

• Like 3

+1, this would be really useful for maps and allow to create "real" maps as well.

• Like 1

Both map dumps are of the same map, one is a direct overhead view while the other is angled from the south.

I agree, the overhead mapdump is much more helpful.

Either way, I think we're all very grateful for a mapdump in any form, but an overhead perspective maps would be much more helpful for mapping purposes. 

That isn't an overhead mapdump, its just less angled than the other one.

The ones we just got are pretty much the same as that overhead dump, we just don't have any super angled versions to compare them to.

The main problem with having an overhead mapdump is that it will be extremely hard to tell what you are looking at because it will have no elevation indicator.