Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Meditation & Magic

The notion is that priests get a little more from meditation than your average player.  Some benefits are universal to all priests, some are faith specific.  A few possible (just ideas to illustrate) examples are : 

Path of Knowledge (1)  All priests gain a spell that allows them to divine the creator of an object (10 favor, 30 difficulty).

Path of Knowledge (8) - Priest may convert favor into karma at a rate of 5 karma per favor. 

Path of Love (9) - All priests gain double the duration from "love effect".  Fo priests get a buff to their charm spell (boosts loyalty up to 70 on a cast).  Vyn gains a spell that allows sea creatures to be charmed.  Mag gains a bonus to dominatoin duration.  Lib priests can now tame without the need to corrupt.

Path of Power (7) - All priests are able to enchant arrows at 1/20 of the cost.

Path of Power (11) - All priests save fo gain a bonus to spell damage, fo priests get a bonus to buff duration.

Path of Insanity (7) - Blink becomes a little more stable, preventing teleportation in a mob's aggro range and on tiles that will inflict damage.

Path of Insanity (4) - Spells become more unstable, giving a larger range of results (higher chance of critical fails and critical successes).

Path of Insanity (12) - Can, at the cost of 30 favor (60 difficulty), manifest a hallucination to attack a target (drawing aggro and disrupting animal "rage" level, but doing no damage) for a short time, will only work on mobs.

The idea is to give priests 15 unique traits and abilities based on their meditation path to flesh out the link between enlightenment and faith.  I would strongly suggest that these are all geared towards PvE and, possibly, not possible on PvP servers since I dislike hearing "baaaawww balance" as a reason to crush an idea ;)

Optional Extra : A similar system with sorcery would be very interesting, with priests gaining a lesser version of any spell they learn via sorcery that can be cast with faith.  Perhaps even granting extra sorcery spells when a certain spell and meditation requirement are met.

Edited by Etherdrifter

I suppose you mean Favor in the cost of Insanity(12), the Karma conversion and divining objects? :)

Also, I support the idea of linking meditation and religion in some way, makes it more interesting!

EDIT - some comments to the ideas:

Knowledge(1)

A way to identify the creator of an object would be really helpful, maybe even some way to identify the last person holding/using it?

Sometimes I find quite useful items lying around, I always wonder if it was an accidental drop etc..

If it's not named there's literally no chance of finding the owner(especially with skilling-tools since they are usually low QL and don't show the creator)

Knowledge(8)

I have no idea about Karma-related Stuff... so no comment ^^

Love(9)

Charming a seal with my priest seems like something i wanna do... or maybe a sea serpent?

Power (7)

I'd guess you'd have to adjust the skill-gain for channeling here or we'll have tons of 99 channeling priests in no time

Power (11)

never used a combat spell with my priest.. no comment

Insanity

Gotta be careful to make the RNG gods not to OP..
If players start getting 100+ casts with relatively low channeling and stats there'll be complaints everywhere :D

Just as the OP, purely an PvE viewpoint..

Edited by Nachtmahr

Yes, yes I did!  I have to keep resisting the urge just to call it "mana" ;)

No karma, I don't much like any of the ideas here but the karma one especially, I could generate a stupid amount of karma for guiding

• Like 1

Heh, the suggested traits were just random ideas ;)

Also they were ALL aimed at PvE because PvP just ruins it for us PvEers.  We're not allowed nice things because of it and we seem to get nerfed a lot because of it too!

Heh, the suggested traits were just random ideas ;)

Also they were ALL aimed at PvE because PvP just ruins it for us PvEers.  We're not allowed nice things because of it and we seem to get nerfed a lot because of it too!

You should just join PvP server. As soon as PvE players disappear we are free to do any suggestions without having huge impact on split community. 

You should just join PvP server. As soon as PvE players disappear we are free to do any suggestions without having huge impact on split community. 

I agree ^_^

Lets move the majority of players for a minority ;)

But pvp seems dead. Look like no mechanic to remove power from artifact owners.

Aslo vote to rename karma to mana. Karma is different type of energy

Priests don't need even more influence in PvP. We already have enough balance issues.