Sign in to follow this  
Clwebb

Know what this game is before spending money !

Folks, I think I worked with Clwebb yesterday. He has invested the time to circumnavigate all of Xanadu in a rowboat to look for a spot. He wasn't looking for a pre-flattened spot to move right in on...

His interest is apparently in having LOTS of empty space around his deed and has been unable to find a spot to his liking. I suggested parking his boat in a frieny harbor to keep it safe and heading inland... I am located at Tarsis about O22 and pointed to the large space west of us beyond the mountains. I hope he can find what he is looking for but thought I would share that has indeed looked around Xan and spent some time doing it.

• Like 1

There is TONS AND TONS of open land in Wurm. ...

Yes, there is a lot of land available in Wurm ... but there is also pretty little pristine land available in Wurm, and that includes Xanadu. Much of the land is changed by players, flattened, terra-formed, sky-high slopes, decaying walls and sheds and all the junk former settlers leave behind. People that are playing Wurm since long (and that includes me) are used to that and we are used to settle on abandoned deeds, new players not so.

Many new people start in Wurm with the idea of a wild, survival-type game - but they instead encounter decaying sheds, crumbling walls and gazillions of bins and chests and lamps and statues slowly rotting away. As one former new player told me, one quickly has the feeling not to play in a wild land but in a largely abandoned slum instead. That's one of the reasons Wurm's player retention is so low, it's also one of the reasons why Rolf has to make new servers in regular intervals and why these new servers are so popular. A new server provides pristine environments - but after a few months the shiny new server turns into a slum too.

That's what hurts Wurm. Players can do a lot of things, but there's no mechanic to un-do that when the players are gone.

• Like 3

That's what hurts Wurm. Players can do a lot of things, but there's no mechanic to un-do that when the players are gone.

That's just patently untrue. You can knock down rotted, undeeded fences. You can terraform land so that it looks natural. 

And there's still plenty of pristine land left, particularly on Xanadu. Heck, I've seen pristine land on Deliverance just a few days ago, not too far from the coast. I was considering settling there but a champ troll got me :P 

• Like 1

I just wish I could play this game, something about it wont let me go !

Seriously, I cannot believe anyone actually searched on Xanadu for a week and said there was no open land.   I assumed at first they had kept trying the old small servers (Celebration, Pristine, etc) -- I know those have small populations now and I do not know how much open land is filled with old villages. I have not been on those servers though I assumed they too had open areas now, from old places decaying away.  but ... Xanadu??? I would guess 80 percent of that server is still original untouched land.

Be aware, land in Wurm does not com preflattened, with roads already built and little mailboxes and guard towers and iron mines all ready for you to move in. If you do not yet have enough skill to dig in most terrain, take 15 minutes to practice digging on some fairly flat area  (dig a pile of dirt, drop it. Dig it up, drop it. Repeat about 20 times and you will have close to 10 digging which allows you to dig in 30 Slope areas (you can dig on terrain 3X the slope of your skill.) With 10 digging, if you can walk on it, you can flatten it. Digging clay is another great way to raise the skill plus collect a useful resource. You can even make money digging clay and delivering it to people who are too lazy to dig it themselves. 

There IS NO NATURALLY FLAT LAND IN WURM.

You have to cut the trees.

Flatten the land.

Build a road

Dig a mine.

Build a guard tower. 

That is how every other deed in this game was started.  If you not interested in doing all that, you can even ask if anyone will sell you a prepared  flattened piece of land, for silver.  You can probably even buy a plot with a prebuilt mine and a prebuilt guardtower, and a road right to a major highway. It will cost you though since someone else did the bulk of the actual work.  Most of us find it more fun to do it all ourselves (or even better with friends). This is why we are here.  Because we like to build things. 

PS: Welcome to Wurm, I do hope you realize your expectations may not have been in sync with what this game actually is, and that you continue with it. 

It is very possible someone will help you find a spot, the server has more open land than settled land, by far. The map dump linked should help you find places where no one else is settled:

That ^^ and some name calling. I prefer to make nublets feel welcome but your complaint is the most unfounded bit of drivel I've come across and I LIVE for complaining about Wurm. I PAY to complain about it. Play a few month and then complain about something valid, like Rolf's hair cut or the lack of Pudding Pops and dev's too lazy to read forums for an hour a week to see what we have to say...but lack of land? DON'T DO DRUGS.

Well you spend 1eur realy.... sell your referal 7s and you get also 2s in your bank... Sold coins and quit if you dont like game

I found a solution, I`m just going to buy 1000 silver and deed a place so big that no one can really settle anywhere near me, I did not know you could have perimeter tiles to extend someone from building close to you, so ill spend the money to not have anyone around me! 

Edited by Clwebb

I found a solution, I`m just going to buy 1000 silver and deed a place so big that no one can really settle anywhere near me! 

If anyone know a MASSIVE piece of land or a hole free island then please let me know !

Go search for it urself.. before ur gonna spend 1000 silver on a ruined game. 

• Like 1

Yes, there is a lot of land available in Wurm ... but there is also pretty little pristine land available in Wurm, and that includes Xanadu. 

Lies.

I can easily point multiple blocks of 100x100 tiles that none of them was ever touched by any player (in amy noticeable way) just in my general area, all waterfront. If you want more than that you'll have to wait for rolf to start selling private servers (which might not be such a bad idea!)

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

Hmmm.. this is good reading. Sometimes i lose faith in Wurmians but seeing how many are helping out someone who really does not want any help really brings back the faith. Keep going wurmians, you are all awesome!

• Like 1

I found a solution, I`m just going to buy 1000 silver and deed a place so big that no one can really settle anywhere near me, I did not know you could have perimeter tiles to extend someone from building close to you, so ill spend the money to not have anyone around me!

I quote. "Know what this game is before spending money !"

I am upset.

I bought a $2000 lawn tractor for my condo. I drove it all day in the parking complex and it still has not helped to till it into a lush lawn like the pictures in the manual show the tractor on!

Can we close this topic please.. this is going no where..

• Like 4

Spent $150 bucks, but at least I have a deed now, well until someone set up next to me and I have to move again !

Spent $150 bucks, but at least I have a deed now, well until someone set up next to me and I have to move again !

Then expand the perimeter, dude. 

<11:03:12>Freedomgriefer begins casting locate soul.

If  that isn't an advertisement appealing to certain personality types that are scattered around the freedom cluster, I don't know what it is.

• Like 1

This thread's constructivity has run its course.

*Click*

• Like 2