Sign in to follow this  
Clwebb

Know what this game is before spending money !

So I bought premium and some silver in hopes of playing this game witch I have been now for about a week, in that time all I have done was nothing but search and search and search for a place to set up only to find that 3 of the maps I have went to are vastly over populated and it is impossible to find an open spot with no one around!

Just warning people to really look into this game before spending money on it as I just wasted mine !

There is a huge map called Xanadu with an abundance of open land to deed, if you are looking for PVE. 

• Like 1

server ?

did u walk away from spawn area in that week?

what made u spend before playing?

I am currently there, I dont see open land...And if there is, there's already someone there !

There is a lot of spots inland on all the servers but the coast gets taken up rather quick since it is easy to find. If you can't seem to find a spot you like join a village and start looking for a spot that is for sale in the forums. 

Edit: I have an island on Xanadu for sale but there is no mine on the deed pm me if you are interested it is at G18 on he map and has not been built on yet. 

Edited by Kegan

IMO you should join a village and learn the ropes first before settling all alone.

• Like 2

There is also inland lake coastal land available if you are willing to clear a forest and / or lower a hill.  Xanadu has plenty of land you have to be willing to explore and find it.

Just got done making a road over 300 tiles long from one end of a long valley to another. Three deeds in that entire length. One at the beginning. One in the middle. One at the end. You can be on Xanadu and find vast empty areas of thousands of square tiles. Just look at the map they just gave us. It's amazing how empty it is. You title should read, "Know what you're doing before spending money on anything."

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 4

something to keep in mind in this game is that all roads are made by players, a mistake many new people makes is just follow roads trying to find empty places.

There are plenty of open areas. You can't expect to find them in a few minutes. It requires some travel time.

With that said, you should try joining an established village. They can help you learn the game and get the stuff you need to get going.

Seriously, I cannot believe anyone actually searched on Xanadu for a week and said there was no open land.   I assumed at first they had kept trying the old small servers (Celebration, Pristine, etc) -- I know those have small populations now and I do not know how much open land is filled with old villages. I have not been on those servers though I assumed they too had open areas now, from old places decaying away.  but ... Xanadu??? I would guess 80 percent of that server is still original untouched land.

Be aware, land in Wurm does not com preflattened, with roads already built and little mailboxes and guard towers and iron mines all ready for you to move in. If you do not yet have enough skill to dig in most terrain, take 15 minutes to practice digging on some fairly flat area  (dig a pile of dirt, drop it. Dig it up, drop it. Repeat about 20 times and you will have close to 10 digging which allows you to dig in 30 Slope areas (you can dig on terrain 3X the slope of your skill.) With 10 digging, if you can walk on it, you can flatten it. Digging clay is another great way to raise the skill plus collect a useful resource. You can even make money digging clay and delivering it to people who are too lazy to dig it themselves. 

There IS NO NATURALLY FLAT LAND IN WURM.

You have to cut the trees.

Flatten the land.

Build a road

Dig a mine.

Build a guard tower. 

That is how every other deed in this game was started.  If you not interested in doing all that, you can even ask if anyone will sell you a prepared  flattened piece of land, for silver.  You can probably even buy a plot with a prebuilt mine and a prebuilt guardtower, and a road right to a major highway. It will cost you though since someone else did the bulk of the actual work.  Most of us find it more fun to do it all ourselves (or even better with friends). This is why we are here.  Because we like to build things. 

PS: Welcome to Wurm, I do hope you realize your expectations may not have been in sync with what this game actually is, and that you continue with it. 

It is very possible someone will help you find a spot, the server has more open land than settled land, by far. The map dump linked should help you find places where no one else is settled:

If you're on Xanadu here's the newe mapdump. You can pretty much see every town and terraformed land. And there is definitely a lot of untouched land left.

http://maps.mvcomputing.co.uk/Xanadu/

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 6

The servers are overpopulated. You heard it here first.

I can't help but think that this is just an attempt at trolling. There are more empty places than you can shake a deed stake at.

• Like 4

Since the main ability that Premium gives is the ability to have skills and attributes over 20, I'd recommend players hold off on buying premium until they've given the game a shot to try it out and develop some initial skills.  Now make no mistake, premium is desirable for the best long-term gaming experience, but as it's a real-time based subscription it might be better to hold off and try out the game first.  Playing with friends can even add more fun working together as a community, so by all means get friends to try it out with you since you can start out for free.

If all goes well and you decide you enjoy Wurm Online, subscribe then so you can get those skills and attributes over 20 and ride horses, captain sailing boats, etc, all bonuses you get from being premium.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

Every island has mass amounts of open land.  Ask around people are happy to help point you in a promising direction.

Overpopulated? You gotta be kidding (unless you want to settle to western Deliverance or right next to a starter town)! Even on Independence which is the oldest server there is a lot of empty space. If you use the deed maps, the map dump and explore a bit you can even find "pre-flattened" areas (places that used to be deeded years ago but now they are completely empty with only the terraforming remaining).

PS. You can also try making a few f2p alts to explore if you don't want to risk dying on your premium main while exploring.

Edited by Anothernoob

So I bought premium and some silver in hopes of playing this game witch I have been now for about a week, in that time all I have done was nothing but search and search and search for a place to set up only to find that 3 of the maps I have went to are vastly over populated and it is impossible to find an open spot with no one around!

Just warning people to really look into this game before spending money on it as I just wasted mine !

Wurm is not about instant gratification. Not trying to beat you down, but you are likely doing what a great many other new players do. You have probably been looking for flattish land near newbie towns, next to open water with roads nearby.

The problem here is that someone else, frequently many other people, MADE that area that you would like to settle so attractive.

If you do not join a village to learn the game, it's your job to find your own place, and make it the place you want to live in.

Edited by Farmerbob
  • Like 1

You have to travel more than 100+ tiles from spawn to find a spot.

Since you're still on newbie skills (meaning dying doesn't matter yet), /suicide and check out the other starter towns on xanadu, so much to pick from if you run around some.

No offense to the OP but you need some patience. I have literally rode for HOURS on Xanadu and have seen a settlement or a person in Local. In the Greymead (central Xanadu) there is a TON of open, untamed land within 2 minutes walk of that starting town...and I know that is the case in many parts of Xanadu. That's one of the things about Xanadu that drew me to set up a deed there - the vast wealth of space.

• Like 1

There is no server so densely packed you can't live in the middle of nowhere if you want.  What you're most likely doing is following roads, where players like to settle around.  Those roads were made by players.  Walk into the woods a few hundred tiles and you'd be surprised... then build a road to your new deed.

I have travelled from Release to Xanadu because like on release there is no where to settle as well, I have pretty much rode the hole coast of Xannadu in a rowboat only to have found it is completely over taken! Im not looking for a pre flattened place or anything of the sort, I dont mind putting the work in but im kinda taking it as you CANT be a hermit in this game and settle in place where you have no one around and you kinda of just have to deal with having other players up your ass all the time and anything on the water is already gone?

Edited by Clwebb

I dunno, there's obviously tons of spots if you go inland and especially if you take less than amazing geography. But I've showed this game to a few friends and they've all expressed similar frustrations. I think a big part of it is how slowly abandoned stuff rots (and how terraforming never reverts). For a new player it can be hard to tell not only what is abandoned vs active but also how far away from existing structures it's appropriate to build. You keep thinking oh this is an alright place aw nevermind someone already built here. Depending on which maps you try and which direction you explore, you can definitely get the feeling that the nice spots are all taken.

If you want one of the most popular types of property -- relatively flat land along the coast that is easy to spot in a rowboat, jump out and build on --- yes you will have neighbors who wanted the same thing.  

If you want to be a SOLO HERMIT, that is very easy to do (it's how I play). Just get away from the coastlines and go inland. Build on one of the many many lakes in the game, if you want waterfront  too.  

You can fish, keep a boat, and still have no one around for miles.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2