Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Xanadu Darq Passage Canal - Open, but... (page 2 update)

I've created a canal, which is secured at both ends by deeds, but nearing a point where I can open to the public.  Within a week, it should be fully passable by knarrs and smaller.  The Darq Passage Canal is not intended to support larger ships.

Once this canal opens, travelers will be able to sail all the way through Xanadu, thanks to other canals already in place. 

Current status: 100% passable (providing I enable permissions for visitors) by rowboats, sailboats and foot/horse/cart/wagon traffic.  Several ore veins have been mined out and several times several yet to be mined, so there are a number of small detours in the route.

How long is it?  3.86km, or 965 tiles.

Travel time?  7-10 minutes on a fast horse, 10-20 by boat (dependent on winds).

Special features:

- Unique cave entrances that allow entry at full speed, without the need to disembark passengers and push/pull.

- Shallow bottom, which allows smooth horse traffic (not sticky) and no "sloshing" sounds, when you disembark and reembark your horse/cart/boat.

- Darq Falls Lodge - A rest stop for travellers with views from the top of the mountain (To be opened a few weeks after the canal is opened).  Bring your cameras!  Beds will be available, for those that become exhausted after the 500 tile climb to the top.

(I strongwalled off the route to the top, but Darq Falls is still there, where some friends live.)

- Enchanted parking and lodging at either end of the canal. Branded & saddled horses only, as the Enchanted grass will be on deeds.

I'm looking forward to many people passing though and hope you will all say hello on your way through. Ore miners are welcome and plenty to go around.

Darq%20Passage%20Canal%20update_zpsx2vvh

You may also notice the canal directly between Greymead and Whitefey.  I've drawn an updated line in orange, to indicate the actual position of that canal, as the diagonal representation has caused many people to miss the North end of the canal.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 6

Yeah that canal between Greymead and Whitefey can be very easy to miss. Needs some kind of landmark. They all do for that matter. Nice work on the new canal.  ;)

• Like 1

This brought a smile to my face, great project sounds awesome. I'll soon plan a trip to sail through and test it out.

• Like 1

Very nice job and thanks!!!

Are the canal entrances work with mine doors on them? AFAIK that is the only way to provide push-free entry for knarrs, but if there is another solution I'd be glad to learn it :P

• Like 2

thanks all and I'm glad to contribute to something useful here :)

Jaz, I do have mine doors on them at the moment, but my system should work without them.  The basic rule is to have the top of the cave entrance as flat as possible and not very high above the water.  This prevents the knarr from trying to climb up the mountain slope on entry.  Once in a while my knarr tips up and visually looks as iff I am riding a wheelie through the canal, but most of the time it just rides flat on entry.

I'll bash my mine door and test is without, to be sure.

Ahh, I would never figure that out myself, now I'm thinking about to surface mine the top of a boat cave entrance to 1 slope inwards and try to build a house on top of it - not sure if Wurm physics would allow that. Anyway first I need to make a boat cave to test :)

• Like 1

only thing is, if you put house or fence right on top of the opening, the passengers on front of knarr might smack into the wall and scrape off the boat.  I have a chain fence at the top edge of one of my entrances and this happens once in a while.  GOing to remove it to make entrances more trouble free.

Is it possible to make a tunnel entrance that passes the larger ships with out push/pulling them?

I was starting a tunnel by mining down for max water depth but now it sounds like that was a mistake because I will be unable to mine the ceiling high enough? Is that enough to make it so the ship won't pass or just make it less visually appealing?

the top of tunnel doesn't prevent ships, even if really close to water.  Visually it is odd, when your head or whole body is traveling in the ceiling.  Most people that make for the big ships will dry tunnel first, mine ceiling up, then mine floor down last.

• Like 1

Thank you, I didn't know you could mine down deep enough since outside you are really limited in how how deep you can surface mine...

I need to learn more about the entrances too... mine needs work so is probably worth moving the tunnel over to make a new one...

If I understand this right, you surface mine down until the top of the intended tile is very close to water level and flat on the top, then you mine down from the inside to come out at the right level...

Hello,

Any update, has this canal been opened to the public?

Thx

Y.

Going to have to go sailing/exploring this weekend with that Canal.Thankyou.

Sorry, been away from the project the last few weeks. Still set to private access and not quite knarr passable. I hope to get back to this soon.

Hey there...

I'm living on the lake at the west end of the canal and was wondering if you might need anything ;)

Wouldn't mind sitting myself to a few veins either, mining skill needs some love anyways.

Awesome project, somewhen in the far far future one might be able to sail from west to east without the way all around haha

• Like 1

great job Wurmhole! One day (when you will be sleeping) I will buy a rare boat (knowing you will not outbid me as always) and will give it a try.

• Like 2

Image link above appears broken.

not sure... I see the image now, but maybe that is because I posted it?

Hey there...

I'm living on the lake at the west end of the canal and was wondering if you might need anything ;)

Wouldn't mind sitting myself to a few veins either, mining skill needs some love anyways.

Awesome project, somewhen in the far far future one might be able to sail from west to east without the way all around haha

plenty of veins to mine, for sure.  Let's connect ingame soon and I can set you up and point you to some tasty veins.

I must say when I first saw this post I was very excited about. Very ambitious yet needed canal!!!.  one day i came by on an alt to inspect.  I was able to get a sneak peak  and what a time saver it'll be when done!  Great job and again thanks for taking this on.  I eagerly look forward to it's grand opening.  Love some of the touches you've done to the entrances, great deeds as well.

• Like 1

Latest update: I got swamped with RL and fell short of proper completion.  WHile it is 100% sailable from end to end, it is not 2 tiles wide (or better yet, 3) the whole distance.

Today, I am opening the canal to the public.

Feel free to sail on through. There are mine doors on both ends. The lake below greymead has the mine door right in the docks area of my Darq Shadow deed.  On the West entrance, the deed "Darq Passage" is being disbanded, as I am no longer using it to protect that entrance.

Please help yourself to ores in the BSBs.  Probably a few thousand iron, zinc and silver laying around.  Also, when you see a random cave wall sticking into the canal, grab your pick and whack away.  If you happen to have a spare pile of beams, feel free to reinforce, but only where it makes sense for the 3 wide sections.  It would be a shame to have someone reinforce parts and block it's future 3 wide potential.

There are TONS of ores in there.  Ranging from crap to utmost.  100+ iron at least and probably every other type as well.  Most of it in free to the public areas.  My deed only protects a small portion.  COme mine out the veins in the way to make it look nice and fill your knarrs.  43 large crates in a knarr = 12900 shards of ore.  Bring some clay and make some forges if you like, but shove them into the walls, so they don't block the canal views.

Enjoy and sorry for the incomplete project.  I hope someone(s) can chip away at it over the coming years and complete it one day.