Sign in to follow this  
Tekari

Does enchanting work the way it should?

61 casts to get a 94coc

That means (48 casts + 13 dispels) 2530 favor (rougly 5s worth of favor) to get 1 item to 94coc that you can probably sell for 2s

Granted someone might argue that, you can make your own favor and grow your own wemp but that by no means means that it is free. It is actually quite time intensive, plus you need to pay for more than 1 char to do all that and still have time for a life :P

Also I understand that that was a particularly unlucky string of casts but what I cannot understand is the low prices of casts nowadays

I know people will hate me again for this:

My assumption is that the low prices come from people who bought a priest, not knowing how much work it is to get it to this level.

I could however be completely wrong with this.

• Like 1

I know people will hate me again for this:

My assumption is that the low prices come from people who bought a priest, not knowing how much work it is to get it to this level.

I could however be completely wrong with this.

No, you're very much right. When I was more active I paid a ton of attention to the forums and each person selling similar wares and everytime a high end priest sells a string of low cost enchants pops out then quickly vanishes in a couple weeks or so.

keep in mind that prices always drop on craftable items, as people continue to get higher skills and more people do so.  Always happens.  Especially in a game of diminishing player count.  Much smaller demand for the crafts means more competition and inevitable price slashing to get business.

If you look at how resourceful a community is on Chaos and with a enchanting advantage they would go wild(excuse the pun) 

Imagine Kingdoms, saying "ok, we are going to make some money, Lets muster 10k lock or 10k cordage" You'd surprised how quickly they could get that together and cast off with those.

I'm not say that would be their priority, but it would be a great advantage.

He's not the only one that does it this way. I know of lots of others who do so and when asked, I've been told it's because they feel they have a better chance sticking a big power to a blank item, versus successfully increasing an already existing power.

Personally, I've never been interested in spending the extra favor to test the theory out. Can't say they're wrong (or right).

Yeah I tend to agree with this.

This is why a lot of the time I just get a bulk amount of items to cast on. Fresh casts for all.

Bro i assure you that 100% NOTHING in this game works the way it should.

• Like 1

i have not seen a difference in casting with or without dispelling first, i am 100% certain it does not affect the cast.

it's like throwing sand on a flipped coin (heads with dispel, tails without or vice versa) - does the facing of the coin affect how much sand lands on the coin?

So we can make a statistic law out of this:

"Wurm enchanting rule no. 99: given a high enough number of casts, any tool with any priest will either reach 103 power or shatter" 

Edited by Thorakkanath

Do people really waste favor on dispelling after each cast? I'm certain that's one of the "meditate facing east on a sunny day while wearing blue socks" kind of theory we were talking about in my village last night.

• Like 2

dispel enchanting.

It should be possible to confirm if this technique is needed. 

Cast on say 100 items, all same quality and type, one time. Record the power and make a distribution graph. Given the other distributions I've seen in this thread its seems pretty clear we are dealing with a normal distribution.

Then using that distribution and the sample size you could estimate about how many casts it should take to get power X. If you're constantly seeing many more casts needed to get power X then that would tend to prove existent power on a tool does make it harder (moves the power-of-cast distribution to the left).

Now, if we could see the power of frown casts it would be much easier to solve this question.

My character is build completely with 60-75 casts. And its a decent account.

Really dont need 90+ buddy.

I was referring to horse shoes (the tiered 50-70-90 system for WoA and BotD).

I have noticed that usually I get a channeling skill tick when I succeed a cast but get below 40 power (similar to how other skills work with skill gain). However, there have been a few anomalies where I would get a tick after a cast in the low 40s (highest for tick was 42). I'm wondering if this is due to a hidden bonus effect applied after the RNG roll that determines the initial output value and whether or not skill is given. Perhaps this is the village faith bonus or something similar?

With the above in mind, I started noting whether or not I got skill ticks on frowns so I could assume a range in which the power of the cast fell.

Did another round of casts on a 90 faith, 72 effective channeling, 26 SD priest with 51.14 faith bonus in spell effects and village enchanting bonus at 14.36% (IIRC caps at 10?)

82ql Small axe - 95 Life transfer, 78 Nimbleness, 43 Circle of cunning

1. 43 CoC --> 53

2. 53 CoC --> Frown, no tick

3. 53 CoC --> 88

18ql Small metal shield - Blank

1. 79 CoC

81ql Small axe - 90 Venom, 52 Nimbleness, 59 Circle of Cunning

1. 59 CoC --> frown, no tick

2. 59 CoC --> frown, tick

3. 59 CoC --> frown, tick

4. 59 CoC --> frown, tick

5. 59 CoC --> frown, no tick

6. 59 CoC --> frown, no tick

7. 59 CoC --> frown, no tick

8. 59 CoC --> 74 CoC

-----

1. 52 N --> frown, tick

--

1. Dispel 52 N --> fail

2. Dispel 52 N --> fail

3. Dispel 52 N --> succeed

--

1. 48 N

2. 48 N --> frown, tick

3. 48 N --> frown, tick

4. 48 N --> frown, tick

5. 48 N --> frown, tick

6. 48 N --> frown, tick

7. 48 N --> 71 N

23ql Large wooden shield - Blank

1a. CoC 65

1b. CoC 65 --> Dispel

2a. CoC 60

2b. CoC 60 --> Dispel

3a. CoC 69

3b. CoC 69 --> Dispel

4. Fail, intact

5. CoC 25

6a. CoC 25 --> 69

6b. CoC 69 --> Dispel

7. CoC 0 (yep, that's zero)

8. CoC 0 --> CoC 22

9. CoC 22 --> CoC 72

Assuming skill ticks are given the way I explained above, this means I'm getting a lot of really crappy casts on a priest with pretty decent channeling and some faith bonuses. I'm also assuming that dispelling does nothing, so I won't be wasting time and favor on that anymore.

I'm still interested in seeing more stats from enchanting sessions if anyone wants to post them. Also B.U.M.P.

This is from my casting last night.  Was just a short session hour long session casting WOA only.  My priest is 91 chan.

1st item.  Stone Chisel.  First cast was 32, 2nd was 90

2nd item.  Stone Chisel.  54,60, Frown, 89

3rd item.  Iron Shovel.  85

4th item.  Iron Hatchet.  20 then 88

5th item.  Iron Carving Knife.  33, Frown, 44, 70, 3 Dispels, 61, 3 Frowns, Worrying Sound, 4 Frowns, 82

6th item.  Iron Saw.  48, 57, 2 Frowns, 73.

7th item.  Spindle.  32, 56, 2 Frowns, 75

8th item.  Spindle.  20, 57, 80

9th item.  Butcher Knife.  42, 1 Frown, 2 Worrying Sound, 1 Frown, 46, 53, 79

10th item Sickle  83

11th item Sickle.  It had 11 woa on it before I started.  17, 25, 49, Frown, 71

Now that is a small group of casting.  Had a similar session this morning.  I do know that there are times that I cannot buy a 80 plus cast though.

• Like 1

Bump...in hopes of getting information that will probably never happen. Also wondering if anyone has noticed a change in casting since the arrival of Tosiek priest. My casts seem to be considerably lower since then.

Edited by Rockmod
  • Like 1

I logged my casts for two months (Nov. and Dez.) last year and got some average numbers. The documented numbers vanished together with my old pc but i still have the chatlogs where i talked about them with other priests.

Priest: Vyn, 58 chan, 37sd, 100 align, 43 faith bonus, gold altar, gold statuette, 30% bonus active, no deed bonus.

I tracked ~ 1300 casts on Items from 20-40ql for CoC.

I dispelled anything below 60 power and pretty much always casted on a clean item.

My success chance was 66%, my shatter rate was 10% and the average power was 32,4. The highest cast was 94 and also the only one 90+.

I sadly have no data on how many worrying sounds or cracks i had but the majority where cracks iirc.

I started to log my casts today and will post some numbers after some days now that the priest is more skilled and the casts are better.

Edited by Nekoras

Seems like a good time to bump this with all the tool/weapon enchant discussions going on...just in case the devs are looking into anything enchanting related.

• Like 1