Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

What Helped The Most When You Were A New Player?

What Helped the Most When You Were a New Player?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. In your first month of playing Wurm, what one resource taught you the most about the game?

• The Tutorial
    • The Wiki & Forum Guides
    • The CA Help Channel
    • Server/Global/Kingdom Chat
    • Members of the village/alliance/kingdom that I joined
    • Neighbours near to where I lived
    • Other (please specify below)
  2. 2. When did you first start playing Wurm?

• 0-6 Months Ago
    • 6-12 Months Ago
    • 1-2 Years Ago
    • 2-4 Years Ago
    • 4+ Years Ago

When I started a year or so ago on a different toon, Rosedragon basically taught me everything about wurm. After taking about a 9 month hiatus, I turn to alliance mates and still lurk in CA to pick up some things I haven't grasped yet. Wurmpedia for all the crafting recipes and other things too.

The Wiki most definitely.   Second best was village members.

Edit:   Lumping in the forums with the Wiki is very wrong. It makes it seem like the forums were actually helpful when they were a place to avoid like the plague.

Edited by Gumbo
  • Like 1

If the wurmpedia option could be separated from the forums, that would be great. I started playing about 2 years ago I believe, (maybe a touch less) and I would say I learned the most from the tutorial in my first week, and then increasingly more and more from the wurmpedia. While members of the CA help channel were occasionally helpful, the amount of information I was able to pull from the wurmpedia (as well as adding a little myself) was immense. The forums on the other hand, I got almost no information from, and what information I did find on them was often misleading, or incorrect. I've recently started getting back into Wurm, and intend to start filling out some of the voids on the wurmpedia again where possible (particularly with some of the new siege modules, which seem very interesting!)

Started ~2 years ago
Week 1: Tutorial
Week 2-Present: Wurmpedia

Playing many other games before ever playing Wurm gave me much knowledge about what to expect, patience, etc...I tried to figure things out myself most of the time.

I picked the Wiki and Forums.

But would of loved to of been able to of picked Wiki and Ca help.

I always checked the Wiki first(I still use it daily.) If I could not find it in the Wiki, I would turn to Ca Help.

We (3 newbies on a deed) had no neighbours or allied so we pretty much spent all our spare time in wiki and lurking in CA help.
After about a month we joined an alliance and from then most of the things we had missed was revealed :)

• Like 1

My neighbors Praxius and Spyte definitely helped me out the most.  They were kind enough to have a free meals barrel, and they pointed me in the direction of the wiki.  They also patiently put up with my questions and filled in the gaps that the wiki couldn't.  Audrel definitely had it right as far as my experience went.  I know quite a few players start out searching for a village, but this being Wurm, a lot of players also like to go it alone.  The experience I had is the only reason I ever try to pay it forward.

Struck out north from Newtown and started a place on an island. Most of what I learned came from Wiki since not many people around.

4+ years.

Wiki was by far  the best source of information back then.

Now? The wiki is still really good. But now /CA channel is a close tie. The people who answer question and the rules preventing anything but "just the facts" makes it wonderful.

A good amount came from players and the wurmpedia, but in my early days what helped me ALOT and kept me playing was the factional fight videos. They were coming out when I was just starting so I watched them as they came out and it helped me tremendously. I started just shy of 2 years ago.

For me it was a combination of wurmpedia, friends and players in game, and a bunch of forum posts that helped out with the basics. Started about 2+ years ago and only recently i've started learning from watching videos both new and old, and registered an account on the forums instead of just lurking around. So there's a really big mix of everything tbh.

Shocking that out of 115 players voting in this poll, only 5 have started the game within the past year. The future is looking grim.

• Like 2

The basical steps I've learned by going through the tutorial. That "old" tutorial, where you had to do  small missions to move on.  And while staying a few month  on GV I've learned really much about the game.

With this basical knowlegde the start with a new char on Indy was hard but not impossible.

And of course, with helpful people around and the wiki.

Playing 4+ years

I don't think my post will be at all relevant, because it's been so long (4+) and everything has changed for "new" players.

I first played in late 2008, no CA chat, no tutorial.. what helped me the most was probably, that this game was right up my alley. Which led to an unhealthy amount of excitement and motivation, that was driving me to learn the game more, do more things, go to more places, and just enjoy playing without focusing on grinding skill points. Most of the time anyway. Closely followed by the Wiki, that I made use of VERY extensively, and which eventually I started editing and adding to, too.

But I guess this does not apply to the majority of players... no idea *shrug*

And I still mostly do play without caring too much about grinding skill points, they just come :)

Shocking that out of 115 players voting in this poll, only 5 have started the game within the past year. The future is looking grim.

I think there's a lot of players that don't read the forums at all. I'm not really a Forum Warrior myself, I rarely go to other games' forums. Wurm has quickly become an exception for me though.

Started playing back when GV was a real server, CA channel was named PA, Indy was called "freedom" by everyone and had Samling as the spawn and there was no global chat channel.

Most of my learning was from forums, the wiki,  kchat and most importantly just plain trial and error. 

Edited by bdew
  • Like 1

Why are the wiki and forums conflated?

The wiki is priceless to a newbie. These forums would have them sprint in the other direction for the most part. If I'd read them before playing I'm not sure I'd have started ;)

• Like 1

The wiki is priceless to a newbie. These forums would have them sprint in the other direction for the most part. If I'd read them before playing I'm not sure I'd have started ;)

My thinking was that there are some guides on the forum that are very similar to the wiki (both are online, written resources.)

My first question on the forums: What about a boat? Can you just sail about the place with your stuff, instead of settling somewhere?

Answer (from atazs): Why do you ask these obvious questions?

I got lucky and had some great neighbors around my first deed. Wiki definitely helped, forum has definitely made me a part of the community, but my neighbors are what kept me in the game long enough to want to keep challenging myself.

I first gave the game a try in late '07. Didn't bother to read about it or asking anyone about gameplay, Got frustrated within the first week or so and left.

A couple of months pass and I decide to give it another shot. This time I was more focused on playing, so I spent 3 days going over the wiki before logging in to the game world. The wiki was confusing, but it helped a lot.

This second time around, I had help from a few existing players. One guy gave me a safe storage spot on his parcel of land he squatted on near New Town. I was able to accumulate gear and mats. Another existing (and skilled player) was skilling hfc at the time, and she would give all her excess meals away. Things like this were really helpful in allowing me to "stabilize" myself as a newb. 

Reading the wiki and having the help of a few existing players allowed me to go off and play "solo". Never joined someone's village because I was shown how to secure my stuff and I was given a small barrel full of meals to go off into the woods with to find my own home.

Other things that really helped me as a newb but weren't mentioned on the poll or by me:
* Guard Towers
* Bodies of water (drowning wasn't in yet, so traveling via waterways was safer than on land because, like present day, many aggros didn't swim)

The most helpful thing was actually having some mini-goals to do, given by the tutorials in wiki. I didn't want to build a house right away and I was a bit confused about what to do, until some tutorial said it's a good idea to make a large cart early because every player is going to need one of those eventually anyway. Making the cart taught me all the basics and gave me goals to work on until I figured out what I actually wanted to do.

Without those early game goals from the tutorials, I don't think I would've bothered playing more than 15 minutes.

• Like 1

I pretty much learned to paly from Xsam who was a "CA" on GV. That and a mix of Wiki and game chat, of course, and a LOT of trials and errors.

What didn't help, was the rules and how GM enforce them...

When I first started, Rosedragon actually had a website with "challenges" that would force you to learn the mechanics of the game. She would reward you with certain items, whether it be a higher ql pelt or something like that, for completing the tasks. I am forever gratefully for that starting out.

• Like 1