Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

What Helped The Most When You Were A New Player?

What Helped the Most When You Were a New Player?  

310 members have voted

1. 1. In your first month of playing Wurm, what one resource taught you the most about the game?

• The Tutorial
    • The Wiki & Forum Guides
    • The CA Help Channel
    • Server/Global/Kingdom Chat
    • Members of the village/alliance/kingdom that I joined
    • Neighbours near to where I lived
    • Other (please specify below)
  2. 2. When did you first start playing Wurm?

• 0-6 Months Ago
    • 6-12 Months Ago
    • 1-2 Years Ago
    • 2-4 Years Ago
    • 4+ Years Ago

Having looked through a lot of this topic about getting more new players, I wondered what one thing works the best for people. That may have changed over time, so hence the second question that should help to get an idea of who has answered the poll.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 6

ingame wiki feature, and CA Help channel. First played wurm almost 4 years ago

• Like 1

Mostly my allies, wurmpedia as i got more knowledgeable on what to look for in the first place.

That said, crafting recipes' screen can be a godsend.

• Like 1

In the very beginning it was the helpful players that I talked to.

After several months I graduated to the wiki.

• Like 2

The ONLY reason i even play today is because of the village that took me in, or more directly the villager that was trying to take villagers in.  He had helped me and taken me in when I was just moments from quitting because I wasn't sure what to do.

Edited by 4neofclubs
  • Like 2

members of village, still the only reason i play now, i enjoy the pvp, but i abhor the pointless tedium and broken mechanics that surround it.

4+ years ago

Edited by Propheteer

The only reason I stuck around was friendly village/alliance, secondly the wiki/forums. 2+ years ago.

Edited by Pride
  • Like 1

As a player when I joined 9.5 years ago, there was not much in the way of information although the Wurmpedia was pretty decent. The thing I learned most from though was from the villages I joined and the players within them, especially people like Goglepox who owned Green Town. He helped get me set up in my first days and gave me a bit of an idea about what to do in the game, then I joined villages like Iron Canyon and later Leersum where I became a part of that community and learned a lot from those players.

• Like 1

Reflecting back through the haze of Wurm timelines, upon Golden Valley it was the CA tab for me. I would just keep it open while working around my spot next to Glitterdale, looking at the questions and answers of interest. I would combine this with the online Wiki, since I had always learned new things best from reading about them rather than talking with others.

Never really consulted with others much or joined anyone else's deed, just made my own not long after paying the entrance fee (premium) for traveling over to the Freedom PvE server. Found a spot as close to Samling as I could and sculpted a terraced deed down the hillside over the years. Only disbanded it when Xanadu opened and I moved there.

=Ayes=

When I first started in 2007 I arrived on JK home server. The first thing I did was work out that I could shout in Global chat. I introduced myself as a new player and a player name Ithinor advised he was nearby and he will teach me the ropes. 2 weeks later we went to Wild(Chaos) so we could make a deed and obtain over 50QL ore because JK home server was capped at 50QL. I learnt the rest from the fine men and women from Jenn Kellon and Mol-Rehan. PVP people kept me in the game because of the community that is on the pvp servers is unlike anything you would ever experience in Wurm. Ever.

A mixture of Wurmpedia and other players in-game.

Wurmpedia I still use daily for creating items and figuring out what I'll need to build something, never liked the in-game version.

4+ years.

The Wiki, most and foremost the ingame-wiki.

Most important was and is capacity for suffering, but that wasn't an option to choose.

• Like 2

Village friends. If you can't tab out of the game when you're new because Wurm keeps derping up the ingame wiki is pretty useless since you have to enter the exact right word and can't click links etc.

3+years

While I voted Wiki/forums since I could only chose one,  that does not do justice to everything else. The tutorial at that time was helpful, as you had to do things to get through  Having  a village to join immediately  made a big difference, along with village member that helped me through all the first how do  questions.  After joining it, I was pointed to the Wiki /forums and told it was my new best friend. 3 years or so later I still refer to wiki way more than I ever thought I would.  Ca channel is huge and the staff is amazing, repeating answers to the same questions 100s if not 1000's of times  newbies ask, it is a great place to lurk and learn. Gl and Freedom chat are another amazing resource and I received allot of help and guidance there.  Kind neighbors that offered meals supplies etc while learning my way also helped things allot.

Basically everything had a strong affect on retaining me in Wurm. Without the community sharing  ready kind words and encouragement  here I would never have stayed past the first "OMG what just killed me".

Edited by Chiqa
  • Like 1

Hard to say... when I was a new player we didn't have wagons, beds, large carts, ships, mounts, multistory, hota, freight animals to haul our carts, keybinds (for most crafting and resource-gathering), timers, breeding, pmks, coded alliance support, local tab in a better spot, animations, sorcery, meditation, current priest enchants, various terraforming enhancements to digging and mining, etc.

There are times I wonder how I managed to retain my sanity... and then realize I didn't :wacko:

Offhand stuff that lets players interact with each other more is handy. Some ideas in that area: craftable bulletin boards where people can make post-its using paper and pen (substitute/augment something in lieu of 3rd party forums). Courier pigeons as a way to get around the cost of using spirits; however, they have their own limits (needing to be bred, trained, structures maintained, limited by weight). Some kind of auction house setup ingame perhaps an NPC that people have to visit (aka nothing global). Merchants able to accept more than just coin as payment, owner can set what they want or prefer perhaps even exchange rates.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 3

Failure, w'pedia, more failure. I tend to do things the hard way.

2-4 years, best help was getting raided by MR then joining them :>

• Like 1

When I started playing on Inde almost 4 years ago, it was mostly the Wiki and Forums, but also a great deal of just lurking in CA Help and a certain player called Raybarg :wub:

New player, couple months in now.  Best help for me was the wiki and lurking in CA/Freedom/Global to know what I needed to look up on the wiki :)

Pure and simply, my first week, was my neighbors. The Wiki is fine if you have some idea what you are doing but it is not noobie friendly. You have to know what you want before you can find what you need. Without them pointing to what I needed, I never would have found it.

• Like 2

In my case - initially members of village and wiki later on.

• Like 1

My neighbors were a great help when I first started, except two who turned out to be paranoid psychotics. Then I spent a lot of time asking questions and having people in fchat yell at me for bothering them by not using CA or wiki, not all, but many. So I went to the CA channel and wiki and haven't turned back.

The CA's want to be there and the wiki doesn't troll you or start an argument over your dumb questions interrupting their selling or one-up-manship... +20 to the neighbors, CA's and Wiki.

The single most important help when I was new 4+ years ago was the neighbors that I met in the first 24-48 hours. They helped guide me to a good deed spot, pointed out things I needed, found me a water tile and built me a well, and so on. The Wurmpedia was and still is the biggest help information-wise, but my neighbors were crucial in my retention as a new player.