Sign in to follow this  
Wossoo

News Update: Work and Progress. Week 16

week16.png?dl=1

Hey Everyone!

This week has seen the first part of our Spring Update being released - the new Elevation server. It was a slightly bumpy ride at times but we listened to feedback and I think the end result is something the team can be proud of creating and you our players can enjoy for many years to come.

We are still working hard on the next part of our Spring Update which will be bridges. Our bug busters are still slashing their way through the known issues in the bridge code and we think it is shaping up very nicely. We still expect them to be released in a week or two.

Without further ado, here's the news in full!

New Elevation Released

The release of New Elevation went ahead very much as planned this week. After the shutdown of the old Elevation server on April 13th, the new map went live on April 15th.

In response to player feedback we made some amendments to the map which seem to have been very popular. Overall we are very happy with the way the map and the huge amount of land there which is available for settlement. 

You can find a link to the final map here.

If you are interested in trying out the new Elevation map, you should use an epic portal to visit the epic cluster and choose to spawn on Elevation. If you are on one of the Home servers (Desertion, Serenity or Affliction) you can get to Elevation by boat or by using portals in each home server's start deed.

While many, including myself, may have fond memories of the old map for Elevation, may we look forward to creating many new ones on the new map!

Bridges

Most of the development team has been continuing its hard work in getting bridges as bug-free as they can possibly be. This has been a marathon project for them so far but I am sure they are all very glad that the light is now visible at the end of the tunnel. We expect and hope that bridges will be ready for release in one or two weeks from now.

In the meantime, it is time to share a bit more information about them!

Building bridges in Wurm takes careful planning and consideration. This calculator (Excel File Download) has been developed (by Mamadarkness and Tich) to help you plan what materials you will need to build any particular bridge. If you, like me, are a bit baffled at first by the calculator don't worry, the geniuses among us who do understand it will help to explain it nearer the time.

Bridges are also incredibly versatile, capable of being built between terrain, between structures and from terrain to structures. They do not have to be flat, and neither do they have to be over water in the "traditional" sense, so they can even be used to make ramps as the screenshot below shows.

TwoTileMountainPassMarbleBridge2.jpg?dl=

They also have full models for while they are in partial construction.

MarbleBridgeConstruction2.jpg?dl=1

Overall as a feature I think we can all agree they are extremely impressive and I can't wait to see what everyone does with them! Massive hats off to the developers for all their work thus far!

Map Dumps Released

After a lot of work and thought, we can now release our first set of new map dumps. They are currently using a Google maps style interface so you can scroll around and zoom in on bits that interest you without downloading the entire file every time. We are looking into hosting torrents for those who want to download the files as an image to use offline or in community maps.

Click the server name to view the map. Don't worry if your server is not on the list yet, we will be releasing more over the coming weeks.

Chaos

Deliverance

(New) Elevation Turns out we uploaded the wrong one. Whoops!

Independence

and last but by no means least, Xanadu

Thank you very much to Mamadarkness for working hard to get this made and to Max for generously hosting them!

More New Weapon Models

Continuing on with our theme of weapon model updates, I am happy to reveal the new large maul (WIP) and weapon racks!

large_maul_WIP_01.png?dl=1

NewRackFull.jpg?dl=1

Bulk Storage Bin QL Calculation Clarification

This is all on a per item basis, dragging 10 at a time still is handled one by one due to how the drag and drop is currently being handled.

First of all we acquire how many items of the same type are currently inside the BSB. ( 3kg clay = 1.5 items)
Then we figure out how many items are actually being added by dividing the weight of the item with the template items weight  ( Weight / Template Weight ).

After that we calculate how many percent of the new total the item that we are adding is going to be   ( Number of items added /  ( Number of items in BSB + Number of items added))

Then we calculate the difference in QL between what is inside the BSB and what is being added. 
We then multiply the difference with the percentage to get how much the QL is allowed to change.

Then the last bit is pretty simple, if the QL will be reduced by adding the item the change will be increased by 10%   ( CurrentQL - Change * 1.10),
if it's an increase in QL then it's instead reduced by 10%.

Thanks go to Erik (Dev) who explained this!

That's all for this week!

Happy Wurming!

• Like 20

The excel file does not allow me to alter bridge length... is this intended?

Derp, wrong sheet.  I've got it.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Let me try to explain the excel sheet.

The arched bridges are fixed configurations so you just enter length there and width.

In general things will shade red when it detects something wrong.  Don't count on it getting everything, there are a few notes about things i don't have checked.

sheets are protected to help you but nothing is secret, anyone can unprotect the sheet (no password) or unhide sheets.  the hidden sheets are just to lookup references.

you will have to estimate your heights under supports to get the extensions.

otherwise it should be fairly straight forward.

• Like 3

Thank you so much MammaDarkness, Tich, and Wossoo for the update :)

* presses the map dump close to her chest.

• Like 1

first time ever seeing my work on a map dump

Thanks!

The look of partialy built bridge is what i love about Wurm.

You have all surpassed Your selfs  ,....

Map dumps were definitely something that popped my eyes open when i first joined wurm, seeing all the building on inde was a big attraction

please keep updating these at regular dates, and keep and archive of the old ones :)

if you could add older ones to a layer of the google map that we could switch back and forth would be super cool also :P

• Like 1

thank you for the map!  FYI, the Greymead starter town marker is missing from it.

anybody else zooming in on chaos capital cities? :ph34r:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.......

I am really looking forward for bridges!   I hope we can use them to make super cool castles!!!!   Elevated skyways that archers can use to patrol the parrimaters of the forts.

Thank you for posting these

Wossoo
Edited by AAetius

Thank you very much for including the BSB calculation of quality information.  This has been a topic of concern from many players.  It's nice to have a dev take the time to address this.

• Like 1

This is all on a per item basis, dragging 10 at a time still is handled one by one due to how the drag and drop is currently being handled.

First of all we acquire how many items of the same type are currently inside the BSB. ( 3kg clay = 1.5 items)

Then we figure out how many items are actually being added by dividing the weight of the item with the template items weight  ( Weight / Template Weight ).

After that we calculate how many percent of the new total the item that we are adding is going to be   ( Number of items added /  ( Number of items in BSB + Number of items added))

Then we calculate the difference in QL between what is inside the BSB and what is being added. 

We then multiply the difference with the percentage to get how much the QL is allowed to change.

Then the last bit is pretty simple, if the QL will be reduced by adding the item the change will be increased by 10%   ( CurrentQL - Change * 1.10),
if it's an increase in QL then it's instead reduced by 10%.

Thanks go to Erik (Dev) who explained this!

O.o

secrets revealed?!

Wossoo, when you asked about this feature; did you mention you were posting it for the public? I have a feeling you made a boo-boo. May god have mercy upon your soul.

OMG map dumps, awesome... can we get one yearly?

So i guess the new weapon rack is only available in one wood texture and is the next one in line to take out all of the customization in the game? (sure we know we will get a new system later for the different wood types...but in how many years?)

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

I'm enjoying the map dumps! Vrocks Landing on Xanadu is in the wrong spot, however.

Thanks for the update.

All you lonely mountaintop dwellers, we're onto you.

Rendered with Wogic :D love it.

Still not top down, but i'm sure I can live with it...

The Map dumps are very fun to look over and helpful.  I'm sure it took a good deal of time to process them yet it's much appreciated!!

I hope we can get bridges in sooner, would like to see them implemented so building deeds can factor them in.