Sign in to follow this  
spellcast

April Treasure Hunt - Release - All prizes have been claimed.

The winning key was in the possession of the player Ftoz, who received:

- 99ql small chest made of Brass

- 99ql Fantastic Gold Compas

- 99ql Fantastic Gold Oil Lamp

- 99ql Fantastic Gold Spy Glass

- 80ql Rare Satchel with 1 of each star gem, all at 50QL

- and of course 15s

The hunt scoreboard has been updated here

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/119533-treasure-hunt-scoreboard/

The Grand Prize Chest in Sloping Sands will be accessible at 2:00PM UTC on Tuesday the 28th. 

auction_timer_E1430229605.gif

The way to access it is simple. There is a large magical chest currently behind some fences. 

At 2PM UTC tomorrow I will remove one of the walls, and anyone with a key can attempt to open the chest.

The player with the key will be able to open it and look inside.

Final instructions will be found within the chest for the player who can access it.

-Note, you will not need to be present at the above time to claim your prize if you have the winning key. That is just when the chest will become accessible. 

- And the wall is down, and access to the chest has been granted. Good luck to those with keys

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first hunt ran at 2:30PM UTC on Saturday the 25TH

The second hunt ran at 2:30AM UTC on Sunday the 26th. 

Timers may be off by a minute or two. GM may be off by who knows what.  I THINK i have the right target times on the timers.  someone want to double check me?.  lol.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, its time (actually past time) to post about a new treasure hunt.  If you are observant, you will have discovered from the title that this one will be taking place on the release server, during the last weekend of the month.

If you are not observant, you might not do so well during this hunt. =D

I'm a bit late posting this thread because I've been trying something new with this hunt, so first I'll post the generic information about it, and then discuss what will be different about this one compared to the others.

-----------------------------------------------info------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There will be signs at the start deed where players can begin the hunt once it has been activated. 

The hunt is a series of clues, When you solve the clue you will find a specific location and possibly a specific action to take there in order to get the next clue. You might even need to have a specific ITEM to solve some of them.
Repeating the action at that location will give you the clue again as a reminder if you need it. Examining the hunt signs at the start deed will also give you a reminder of the clue you are currently working on. (but really, you could save yourself a lot of potential travel by just jotting the clue down in notepad or taking a screenshot.)

Speaking of travel, This hunt is part race as well, so travel WILL happen, and there ARE hostile mobs around many of the clues. Take precautions and be aware of your surroundings. You will not need a boat, you can travel to all of the clues on foot and they will all be on the Release server.

You must complete each clue in order to get the next clue, there is no way to skip clues.

This event is intended to be a fun and FAIR contest. NONE of the clues will require you to break any game rules, and there will NEVER be a need to break into any fenced area to get the next clue. You are also not permitted to BUILD fences or buildings in order to slow down fellow competitors or block them from clue locations. Doing so will lead to a Disqualification and potentially a BAN from Wurm for breaking the hunt rules.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Notes---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some players teamed up to run past hunts, allowing them to check multiple possibilities at the same time: This is fine, Wurm is a multiplayer game and teamwork is a part of many aspects of the game. We are not going to discourage it in the hunt events, but instead are trying a wider distribution of prizes to encourage more players to participate.

About the clues:

These are CLUES - not exact instructions. They are intentionally a bit vague. You will need to think outside of the box for some of them. The clues for this hunt follow less of a pattern than on prior hunts, but each one does lead to a specific place.

============================================================================================================

I will post the things I am doing differently for this hunt in the first reply to this thread.

OK, so for this hunt, in order to try to spread some of the excitement out there will actually be TWO hunts that are part of the same overall Hunt. 

Instead of a single hunt that is 12 clues long, I have two different branches to this one, each 8 clues long. The plan is to start them ~12 hours apart so players that are unable to be there for the beginning of the first one can participate in the second one and have a chance to solve clues that no one else has seen. To facilitate this, each character will only be able to participate in one part of the hunt.

I am using a variation of the method for distributing prizes as that was used on the Exodus hunt.  At the final location for each branch there will be 8 chests, Each chest, when opened, will award a prize set and then disappear. 

As on the Exodus hunt, each prize set will consist of some coin, a single item useful to pretty much everyone, and either a rare or supreme tool made of something odd, all wrapped up in a small chest made from some oddball wood that players can't create.

however

There will also be 8 signs, INSTEAD OF OPENING A CHEST, Players will have the option to examine one of those signs and receive a key. Like the chests, after each sign is examined it will disappear. 

72(ish) hours after the start of the second part of the hunt, Players who completed one of the hunts and chose a key will be able to attempt to access a chest that will be placed in Sloping Sands. THAT chest will have a significantly larger prize in it, but only ONE of the keys will work.

Only the characters that actually went on the hunt and collected a key will be able to attempt to use it. I have to do it this way to make the prize work correctly.  

So, take a fairly nice reward at the end of the hunt that's guaranteed. ... -or- take a chance at a larger reward a bit later. 

Since there will be two branches to the hunt, there will be a total of 16 prize sets and 16 keys available. Each character will only be able to get 1, so 16 different characters will need to complete each part of the hunt before all of the rewards (or chances at a reward) will be distributed.  We do keep an eye on the hunts, and running a bunch of characters through to get multiple keys or prizes will be considered cheating. If you run one character through the first hunt, and would like to run a different character through the second one because you like to solve the clues it's ok, but please do not take a reward at the end if any remain when you get there.(other than the participation prize which is just given to everyone that completes it)  

Because it is two hunts instead of one, I will not be posting the first clues here in this thread, and you will not be able to join the hunt in progress by going to the solution for the first clues. I decided that since each character can only do one hunt there was too much chance of someone trying to do the second hunt ending up on the first one because they used the wrong clue. 

The only way to join the april hunt will be at the signs in Sloping Sands.

I also changed up the clues a bit.  They no longer rhyme, and are a bit less... hmm, predictable in how you have to solve them.  The GM's I used as guinea pigs ( I mean had test them... >.>  <.<  >.> ) were able to solve them, but they do not follow the same pattern as they did before.  I'll just let you experience that for yourselves. 

• Like 3

Cannot wait :)

Just stay on Pristine because  I am gonna smoke your you know what in this anyway ;)

I don't know release very well but would love to come and try my hand at it.  The one on Exodus was much fun and allowed me to see beautiful deeds and lands I had not seen prior despite living there for almost a year.

• Like 2

Just stay on Pristine because  I am gonna smoke your you know what in this anyway ;)

Nah really I think me you and galatyn got this :P

Teamwork :P

Edited by necroe

Oh noes! Invaders!!... Watch out for the wildlife, i've heard it can be a bit... unpredictable :P

Edited by BibiWaffles
  • Like 2

Looks exciting! take the smaller prize.. or gamble on the big bucks... hmmm :)

• Like 1

Nah really I think me you and galatyn got this :P

Teamwork :P

Ill talk to Gal, we might be willing to drag along some dead weight :D

Love the idea! :)

So one player, one hunt - alts are not welcome to run through the other for a prize from the other set? Will it be needed to be clarified somehow beforehand (as we have several players on the same IP, multple alts each of us :P )?

Edited by Jaz

Is there a particular start time for these?  I'd love to participate, but as I'll be traveling home on Saturday, it would be good to know whether I still have a chance or not.

Jaz:  We are asking that if you choose to run a second account on the second hunt (assuming you are done with the first one by then... hehehehe) that you please not take a prize and leave some for others who might want to try. We aren't going to get too aggressive about it if we don't have to, but we do monitor the hunts to a certain degree and If we catch you hauling a cart of extra accounts along to get multiple prizes/keys...  well...

first we will laugh, because its on release... someone went a bit overboard with the terrain there... I'm almost sure you can actually get players to most of the clues... carts... good luck.

Then we will ask you to cease and desist and leave the extra accounts behind.  =D

pandalet:

The exact start times will be determined as soon as we can, hopefully within 48 hours, but we need to make sure someone can be around to turn the hunts on. =D

Since there are 2 start times ~12 hrs apart, We will probably space them at AROUND 2 - 4 PM UTC on Saturday the 25th, and 2 - 4 AM UTC on Sunday the 26th to cover a wide range of times. 

The first one gives a good start to the american(morning) and european (early afternoon) timezones, and the second one gives night owls in the US, and those on the other side of the world a chance as well. 

Of course both branches of the hunt will run for at least 3 days, so even if you don't get to start right away, the hunts will still be open. 

This sounds like tons of fun!  Thanks so much for putting this together :)

Well, cool - try for a bit later than a bit earlier, and hopefully I'll be home in time :).  I've been waiting for a hunt on the one true server, so I can experience one without having to travel...

Will this treasure hunt be feasible for priests? I'd hate to get all the way there and realize one of the actions is to dig :P 

digging, mining, or chopping - NOT required.  

dodging hordes of monsters... impossible terrain, and figuring out what an insane gm was thinking when he wrote that clue..  required.

• Like 2

Damn... wish I could take part :/

Will there be more of those in the future?

Very convenient start times, thanks!!! Finally a hunt I seem to be able to participate - and I'll take the first clue above to leave my golden chariots with the liveried troll chauffeurs home this time.

• Like 1

Oh noes! Invaders!!... Watch out for the wildlife, i've heard it can be a bit... unpredictable :P

Which wildlife? The Wild Bibi? :P

In which case I shall come stalk the wild Bibi!