Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Troll island villages - a way to introduce PVE players to PVP

Troll Islands to draw PVE players into PVP?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Player-controlled Trolls in island villages on PVP worlds - good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

just enable pvp one day a week on freedom, lots of players will get introduced to pvp and nothing bad will happen.

Apparently you missed the part where they can leave the island.

That'd still be kinda weird and lame I think. Your intentions to introduce PvE players to PvP is good, but I hardly think logging on and walking around as a troll will do much. They'll walk around a bit, die a few times, walk around some more and then get bored log off and never return.

It won't give them a taste of PvP life, it'll give them the taste of being a troll wandering around. Also I'm sure people would have their friends on freedom log on as trolls to sneak up to deeds to use for spying.

The best way to get a preview of life on a PvP server is to join one. If they don't like it after a few weeks they can just go back to their non PvE server and carry on as they were before.

But theres an even better way to attract more players to PvP servers than that, fix PvP issues.

• Like 1

Because it's working so well right now? Every time I turn around the PVP folks are squealing about not having enough players.

Turning people into trolls would help that how, exactly?

People don't play PvP because PvP is crap.

People don't get too excited about the idea that they can be sleeping or, you know, doing human things, and a bunch of guys from the other kingdom can just freely ###### their deeds, and drain their REAL OUT OF THEIR WALLET money from the upkeep, not to mention steal anything they want, without any repercussion.

Add to that a RNG text-combat straight out of 1990's MUD games (yes 20+ years old combat system is boring), a ton of balance issues, Pay-to-win, specially on Chaos, Devs coming out of their hidey-holes to break into previously thought invulnerable stuff just to tell you it was not supposed to be invulnerable the day after they ###### and helped steal your ######, to indemnify you with trinkets worth a 10th of what was stolen with their aid, and wondering why are you so Upset, "GG".

In fact i wonder how badly informed a person must be about other actual PvP games, or how much money one can make out of PvP to have as many people playing it as we do.

If you want to introduce PvP to PvE players, make a HOTA on PVE, or some other type of rewarding, recurring PvP event, like a gladiatorial Arena, or a king of the hill style event to acquire some rare resource, etc.

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

I've seen the suggestion to include spawning troll/goblin sites where a group will spawn in and create a hostile area before and i've liked that concept before, but the way to get more people to get into pvp is complicated and has many variables. I don't think the solution is as simple as you like.

Edit: I like troll village idea, just don't want to play one :)

I think we agree on this. Getting people to join PVP is complicated and has many variables. Having only one solution will always be suboptimal. If there are several ways that PVE players can get their hands dirty now and then, they might get that urge to go try it with an actual character, as opposed to a controlled NPC.

just enable pvp one day a week on freedom, lots of players will get introduced to pvp and nothing bad will happen.

Last time rolf pulled that card, good portion of his staff quit and the player base ontop of that 2 home servers ended up beeing closed shortly after that, 

Turning people into trolls would help that how, exactly?

People don't play PvP because PvP is crap.

People don't get too excited about the idea that they can be sleeping or, you know, doing human things, and a bunch of guys from the other kingdom can just freely ###### their deeds, and drain their REAL OUT OF THEIR WALLET money from the upkeep, not to mention steal anything they want, without any repercussion.

Add to that a RNG text-combat straight out of 1990's MUD games (yes 20+ years old combat system is boring), a ton of balance issues, Pay-to-win, specially on Chaos, Devs coming out of their hidey-holes to break into previously thought invulnerable stuff just to tell you it was not supposed to be invulnerable the day after they ###### and helped steal your ######, to indemnify you with trinkets worth a 10th of what was stolen with their aid, and wondering why are you so Upset, "GG".

In fact i wonder how badly informed a person must be about other actual PvP games, or how much money one can make out of PvP to have as many people playing it as we do.

If you want to introduce PvP to PvE players, make a HOTA on PVE, or some other type of rewarding, recurring PvP event, like a gladiatorial Arena, or a king of the hill style event to acquire some rare resource, etc.

Make a HOTA on PVE? So PVE players will just not go because they don't want to make a 4-hour boat ride? This idea's purpose is to make it dead easy for a PVE player to help in a couple quests, and then have a risk-free opportunity to get that adrenaline rush of pitting themselves against another player, without having to spend several days grinding to make it so they aren't an instant speedbump for even the most casual PVPer. Trolls aren't that tough, but they aren't as weak as new players, and there's no loss involved if the player controlled troll dies. Maybe a several minute delay before you can respawn? Lots of little things to consider.

If PVE players have to spend days grinding so they aren't instant dogmeat, that's days away from their PVE activities - which they are already mostly satisfied with. If you want to create an interest in PVP within the entrenched PVE community, there needs to be a quick and dirty way to get a taste.

Besides that, Rolf's said a few times that he wants troll and goblin villages. This can give him that. :)

I think we agree on this. Getting people to join PVP is complicated and has many variables. Having only one solution will always be suboptimal. If there are several ways that PVE players can get their hands dirty now and then, they might get that urge to go try it with an actual character, as opposed to a controlled NPC.

• Like 1

I find its often misinformation about pvp which puts people off pvp.

I would say it's more frequently a comfort zone thing. I've been on PVP maps, even though I'm by no means interested in PVP as a major part of gameplay. However, now that I've got a deed set up on Xanadu, the chances of me stopping what I'm doing in PVE to randomly pop over to PVP are near zero. It's WAY too much time to sail to Chaos, and I'm not going to skill up Farmerbob on Epic or activate the Hardscar account for additional money to play on Epic. (Even if Rolf has gotten rid of deed-destroying Russian roulette meteors.)

It's about convenience and risk.