Sign in to follow this  
Farmerbob

Troll island villages - a way to introduce PVE players to PVP

Troll Islands to draw PVE players into PVP?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Player-controlled Trolls in island villages on PVP worlds - good idea?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I had the idea the other day to allow PVP players to come to PVE maps as trolls, but that was shot down in flames - (which was expected.)

So why not do it the other way around, and ALSO do something that Rolf has talked about for years? On each PVP server, create a new island and deed it like a newbie town.

PVE players, for a karma expenditure, or as a reward for completing missions, get the option of logging into a troll on the PVP servers for a few days.

After logging in, they are part of the troll village. Trolls spawn regularly there even if no players spawn trolls, so it would be a good place for PVP players to hunt for fight skills. It's also a good place for PVP players of different factions to hunt for each other, as they are hunting trolls...

The troll players can talk to one another in their village chat, but not in local or shout. The island should have some very high rock or cliffs, so troll players can escape to regroup and heal. If there are priests present with goatfoot / refresh, the trolls should still be able to open up distance on cliffs and steep rock, but may not be able to completely get away.

Players should not be able to modify the troll island. The troll gods like it just the way it is, thank you.

If troll players want to leave the island, they can, by going to water and right-click activating their club as a flotation device, then they can swim with no stamina loss, but cannot cross server borders. If a troll player logs out, their troll becomes an NPC troll after /lotimer, and if they log back in after that, they are back at the troll village again in a new troll.

WHy dont the PVE players just move to pvp and get the feeling by themselfs? Ur tying to fix something that works fine...

Edited by Tuga
  • Like 2

Someone is really obsessed with this idea. The reality as most pvpers know alot about combat this would be abused badly, specially if freedomers start losing skill and stuff. I play on PvP server and would "benefit" from it - someway, not sure how, maybe just for the laughs, but it would be very bad in PvE, so a big NO from me. Not worth it.

• Like 1

Are you high?

Why would a player want to log in as a troll and sit on an island with other troll NPC's waiting for any bored PvP players to come kill them?

Sounds like a weird thing for intense role player's, the kind who'd actually spend their time pretending to be a troll.

• Like 3

Why would a player want to log in as a troll and sit on an island with other troll NPC's waiting for any bored PvP players to come kill them?

Well, albeit i agree, you described exactly the way that pvp is working in lord of the rings online...

I still prefer your hammer suggestion

• Like 1

about trolls by the way, bisons give more fightskill than every type of troll out there except champion, greenish, and hardened, and it gives only slightly less than hardened. not to mention they don't take as long to kill, or damage your shield as much, so i wouldn't expect pvpers to go out of their way to hunt them, although i think this idea is interesting.

• Like 1

WHy dont the PVE players just move to pvp and get the feeling by themselfs? Ur tying to fix something that works fine...

Because it's working so well right now? Every time I turn around the PVP folks are squealing about not having enough players.

Someone is really obsessed with this idea. The reality as most pvpers know alot about combat this would be abused badly, specially if freedomers start losing skill and stuff. I play on PvP server and would "benefit" from it - someway, not sure how, maybe just for the laughs, but it would be very bad in PvE, so a big NO from me. Not worth it.

It's good then that this has nothing about exposing PVE players to any loss. It only lets them get a little PVP if they have been gaining karma doing whatever.

Are you high?

Sounds like a weird thing for intense role player's, the kind who'd actually spend their time pretending to be a troll.

Apparently you missed the part where they can leave the island.

about trolls by the way, bisons give more fightskill than every type of troll out there except champion, greenish, and hardened, and it gives only slightly less than hardened. not to mention they don't take as long to kill, or damage your shield as much, so i wouldn't expect pvpers to go out of their way to hunt them, although i think this idea is interesting.

i haven't seen a greenish troll in such a long time... Almost 2 years now

This is so amusing. I think of a way that PVE players might be introduced to PVP, and create a potential hotspot for PVP, and it gets shouted down by a lot of the same people I've seen complaining about lack of PVP over the years.

This is so amusing. I think of a way that PVE players might be introduced to PVP, and create a potential hotspot for PVP, and it gets shouted down by a lot of the same people I've seen complaining about lack of PVP over the years.

That's because, and I hate saying it, your ideas are bad. Sorry. It's true. This won't help.

• Like 1

That's because, and I hate saying it, your ideas are bad. Sorry. It's true. This won't help.

The bigger problem here is that my ideas don't include opening up PVE servers to PVP players directly, or getting rid of the home servers on Epic, so most of the PVP crowd will plug them with a negative.

As for my ideas being bad? Some are. No doubt.

Other ideas like sacrificing in altars for village bonuses, BSBs, and getting rid of the absurdly terrible village perimeter system that used to exist? I think people have appreciated those. (I wish the sacrificing system gave a little more benefit to villages, but It's seen it's fair share of use.)

• Like 1

I've seen the suggestion to include spawning troll/goblin sites where a group will spawn in and create a hostile area before and i've liked that concept before, but the way to get more people to get into pvp is complicated and has many variables. I don't think the solution is as simple as you like.

Edit: I like troll village idea, just don't want to play one :)

Edited by FreeTineen
  • Like 1

This really wouldn't serve much purpose. Most PvP players can kill trolls (except greenish/champ) with relatively little difficulty. Sure, they have been buffed, but now they're just annoying and destroy your shield even more because they take longer to kill. As Proph said, bison give more FS gain for a given amount of time. No knowledgeable player kills trolls for skill anymore.

Home servers are generally pretty safe places for newbies. Most of the times that raiders kill residents, it's either against someone who was out on or near the water or someone who lived on an open token or Freedom style deed. Home server raiders generally don't leave the shore unless they can find good horses, and they very rarely hit well-defended deeds because there are way too many odds stacked against them.

If a PvE player or a newbie want to join PvP, consider finding out who the owners of the major home server villages are for the kingdom you want to join. Message them on the forums or in game with your player name(s), your interests, your amount of experience in game, why you want to join, etc. Having references to vouch for you should prevent any spy alt paranoia.

just enable pvp one day a week on freedom, lots of players will get introduced to pvp and nothing bad will happen.

• Like 5

just enable pvp one day a week on freedom, lots of players will get introduced to pvp and nothing bad will happen.

lol

-1 Would be fun to continue to bring trolls into an enclosure near someones house and log them out to flood them with trolls to deal with when they logged in though

Most PvE players don't want to be introduced to PvP. This isn't going to help that.

This really wouldn't serve much purpose. Most PvP players can kill trolls (except greenish/champ) with relatively little difficulty. Sure, they have been buffed, but now they're just annoying and destroy your shield even more because they take longer to kill. As Proph said, bison give more FS gain for a given amount of time. No knowledgeable player kills trolls for skill anymore.

Home servers are generally pretty safe places for newbies. Most of the times that raiders kill residents, it's either against someone who was out on or near the water or someone who lived on an open token or Freedom style deed. Home server raiders generally don't leave the shore unless they can find good horses, and they very rarely hit well-defended deeds because there are way too many odds stacked against them.

If a PvE player or a newbie want to join PvP, consider finding out who the owners of the major home server villages are for the kingdom you want to join. Message them on the forums or in game with your player name(s), your interests, your amount of experience in game, why you want to join, etc. Having references to vouch for you should prevent any spy alt paranoia.