Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Remember position on log out/in

We all get lots of disconnects. Wurm facts of life.  What sucks more is when all my windows go away and my tile position changes, as well as loosing track of my "active" item.

However, when in mines, my characters almost always are facing exactly the same direction they logged out and are standing in the exact positions.  Not always, but most of the time.  On the surface, it never happens, which sucks for all my alts that are arranged so perfectly for praying, enchanting and crafting. 

Not entirely fun to spend 10 minutes getting set up for a great session, then having the disconnect go and erase it all.

Feature request:

- Positions, active item and open windows saved and restored on reconnect.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 2

Just to clarify, Are you talking about these windows?

PNOhCSz.jpg

Or are you talking about open containers or character facing positions etc?

Edited by akaedis

Everything gets moved around. Container windows close. When you click on a container to reopen it you have to first close it because the game thinks it's still open. Then you have to open it again. Your position on a tile will never be the same. You may even end up on a different tile. Everything goes to he**. +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1

Now the problem. How the game is going to know you are being disconnected. It's unable to see into the future so unless it constantly, second by second, records everything this will never happen.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Now the problem. How the game is going to know you are being disconnected. It's unable to see into the future so unless it constantly, second by second, records everything this will never happen.

It's not like the game doesn't know what your last state was before it closes.

Well... I dunno about characters being in the exact same position persay as when they disconnected. I mean it looks that way from their screen; however, when one looks at them from another char, the original one had visibly moved.

But aye the whole having to close and reopen open containers afterwards is annoying.

It's not like the game doesn't know what your last state was before it closes.

• Like 1

... most of all I hate, I have unsorted inventory on start. First of all I have to sort my inventory in way I like it ... is it that hard to remember that? It could be solved on client side, no need to burden server ... but no ... I have to sort it again and again after every crash or legal start

need to close and reopen and rearrange of all opened container windows is unnecessary pain after crash too

these 2 things and crashes will be more "friendly" :P

In theory the setup could be programmed so that one's actions down to the millisecond are available after a crash (some hardcore gamers and their peripherals can be even faster).

The main problem that comes to mind (while having no idea what the game codebase looks like on either client or server, no idea for example what the client and server even have for a refresh rate for syncing.) is that such would require a massive increase in overhead and network traffic.

You thought lag was bad before? Try magnifying it by a hundred... then magnify it again by a hundred thousand. For a single player.

The nature of a crash is the timing is unexpected, let alone whatever even caused the crash... that's a whole nother ballgame.

In theory the setup could be programmed so that one's actions down to the millisecond are available after a crash (some hardcore gamers and their peripherals can be even faster).

The main problem that comes to mind (while having no idea what the game codebase looks like on either client or server, no idea for example what the client and server even have for a refresh rate for syncing.) is that such would require a massive increase in overhead and network traffic.

You thought lag was bad before? Try magnifying it by a hundred... then magnify it again by a hundred thousand. For a single player.

The nature of a crash is the timing is unexpected, let alone whatever even caused the crash... that's a whole nother ballgame.

Forget syncing it, yes, effort.

Also, this doesn't needs to be server side!!! It's already implemented for Inventory locally on the client's machine.

You should be able to manually save current window positions. Each container could have a unique identifier (if they don't already) and each container can have window position data stored just as Inventory currently works.

+1, save all tabs and sorting as well - Wurm tends to disconnect even at very slight problems like minor packet loss or very short (less than 50 ms, very common here due to internet depending on weather) internet outages.

Sure, and the chests already have unique identifiers of some sort. Such is needed for content-tracking, location, ql, type, and other unique identifiers.

A sampling of the kind of questions a programmer or just a general designer would be asking themselves out of the gate:

How many containers to keep track of?

How often should the list be updated?

What kind of information should the list consist of?

Where to keep the list?

One implementation could be keeping a txt file somewhere on the client side: Wurm folder, probably buried in a particular character's subfolder. Quick and dirty but it has its own issues, let alone whats inherent to saving/reading from anything on the client side.

Edited by Klaa