Sign in to follow this  
Chakron

Niarja - Go use WurmNode!

Hi All,

Quick Note: I recently joined the official Wurm Online Discord and that's a great place to find me if you want to ask me questions about Niarja and get a quick response. Those messages and easy to see and I get them immediately.

For the past week or so I've been talking on the Discord about "stuff I'm planning for Niarja". I'm making a lot of progress on some major changes to Niarja that will help me do cool things and launch new features on a regular basis. Changes are still weeks out but I wanted to let you know that I'm aware of and focused on fixing problems like missing alerts, strange rankings, Unlimited characters being included in some rankings, poor public/private character experience, incorrect Kingdoms, and a bunch of unfortunate problems the site has because I was a terrible web developer when I wrote it. Stay tuned!

8 hours ago, Hailene said:

The farming ranking is super weird. I'm not sure how it decides who is top out of the people who have 100 skill.

Chronologically of when people hit 100 farming and when they uploaded their dumps (it's the same order) it hsould be Trevize,  Hailene (me), Inspiria and then Ehizellbob.

Instead the order is Inspiria , Ehizellbob, Trevize, and then Hailene. Oddly when you look at the top 50 list it says Inspiria, Ehizellbob, Hailene, and then Trevize. This isn't even alphabetical order since I comes after E and H!

So just wanted to see what was up.

Yeah, there's not a lot of logic to it unfortunately. The numbers are sorted from highest to lowest and given ascending ranks (1, 2, 3...). This is being changed to use Standard Competition Ranking. I will see how feasible it is to return the ranked data in the order of when the skill was obtained, but that is lower priority for me currently. Please let me know if that's important to you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chakron said:

Please let me know if that's important to you.

If you got important stuff to do, by all means go ahead. This is mostly for e-peen purposes. A standard competition ranking would be a great intern situation if you have some problems sorting by time of submission.

I just wanted to bring it to your attention if you weren't aware, that's all.

Edited by Hailene

Is it possible to for 2 different accounts to upload skill dumps?

I've been trying to upload a newer skill dump, but nothing happens. It only clears all the fields.

I had sold my character a while ago and bought it back within a few months. During that time the other person added my character to Niarja.

You should be a seeing a "the character already exists and belongs to someone else" message, but that is bugged at the moment. I've fixed that on my machine locally and will have the fix out soon.

Send me a PM with your Niarja account and the character name and I can transfer ownership over to you.

Independence was moved to new hardware this morning, which interrupted population data gathering. I'm updating the site to talk to a different server. May be a short downtime as I haven't updated this in...a while...and there are some configuration issues I need to work out.

Edit: All done, no downtime. Actual updates soon(tm).

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 2

Currently a Rift is running on Independence, while another Rift was also reported today. Your guess is as good as mine. I'll fix that as soon as I know more, but for now I wouldn't be certain that the next Independence Rift on Niarja is actually going to happen at that time.

• Like 1

I will update the HotA timer/process once I’ve had time to learn a little more about the recent update.

• Like 1

Having issues at random uploading new skill dumps to niarja, hitting submit and it just refreshes the page and does not upload the skill dump?

22 minutes ago, Firecat said:

Having issues at random uploading new skill dumps to niarja, hitting submit and it just refreshes the page and does not upload the skill dump?

2 possible reasons for this. You have either already uploaded a skill dump this day or you have a non english date in the dump.

I can take a look when I get home but Sn00 is likely right. Error handling just isn’t working correctly.

The updated version of Niarja (which has working error reporting) is planned to go up next weekend. Matter of fact...both of those possible error cases will be completely irrelevant :)

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 3

I'd like to suggest having an option to change the amount of players shown in the top rankings, 10, 20, 50 and 100 or something to that effect. It would give the lesser players a battle field to fight upon. My next suggestion is a way of removing duplicates using an alias based on their activity. In my experience I obtained a character which was already in the database, the previous owner said they would delete the entry on Niarja and hasn't which meant I had to create my own and now this has created a duplicate of the same account resulting in inaccurate rankings. Perhaps if after 3 months an entry isn't updated it could be hidden from the active ranks as this would be a fair way to indicate if a record is being maintained. Not sure on any mechanics you may have already to counter such things but figured I'd throw it out there anyway, I appreciate the site regardless :)

As part of the update, all players are shown in the overall rankings instead of just “top x”.

Ill be addressing duplicates after the update. Getting ownership of a character that has been transferred to you should be easier.

• Like 1

RE: 

Can you please PM me a copy of your skill dump? Thanks.

@SeraphCheck the date format of the dump.

I've recieved that error when I used other than english date format in the skill dump.

On May 18th at 10:00 PM PDT (May 19th 01:00 AM EDT / 05:00 AM UTC) character uploads and new account creation will be disabled for approximately 1 hour while Niarja undergoes an update.

Edit: The update is beginning a little early.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 1

Niarja has been updated. Back when Niarja was launched in early 2015, Wurm Unlimited didn’t exist. All characters existed as part of Wurm Online. Niarja made the assumption that character names would always be unique – something that soon became untrue. This update changes how characters are viewed and does some other stuff.

General Updates

• You’ll find that most navigation on the website is now broken into “Universes” and “Clusters”. Universes are unique collections of characters – for example “Rolf” on the “Wurm Online” Universe may be a different person than “Rolf” on the “Sklotopolis” Universe. Clusters are “Freedom” and “Epic”. Some information is unique to players across different Universes, while other information is unique to players across different Universes + Clusters (ex: Kingdom membership, religion, etc).
  • Contrasting colors have been adjusted to be easier to read for people with deuteranopia, protanopia, or tritanopia.
  • Light/Dark themes should be working properly again. Some dark theme text may not be visible and I’ll be fixing that after launch.

Niarja Live

• Population graph data is now shown in your local time (was: UTC)
  • You can now hover over population graphs to see individual server population numbers.
  • Winner reward items are now shown
  • New player Kingdoms are now added to Niarja automatically as they are detected (was: manual)
  • Kingdoms are automatically hidden from Niarja after they see no activity for 6 months.
  • Notable player kills now group by player, instead of showing individual entries.
  • Deed drains and points are now shown next to Champions.
  • [Sklotopolis – Liberty] and [Sklotopolis – Nova] have been added to Niarja. I don’t even remember when they asked for me to do this. They have been waiting on me for at least a year and a half. One day they’re going to be like “what do you mean our servers are on Niarja, we gave up on that”.
  • [Requiem of Wurm] has been added to Niarja.
  • Players from different Universes are no longer included in the same search results.
  • Fixed so many bugs, I can’t remember or detail them all here.
  • Chaos is now displayed as part of the Freedom cluster.

Niarja Skill Compare

• On Niarja Skill Compare, you used to upload one skill snapshot per day (that is, only one skill snapshot could be uploaded for “January 1st, 2019”). Any other skill snapshots from the same day were considered “duplicates” and discarded. Now, you can upload skill snapshots down to the minute.
  • All ranks now use Standard Competition Ranking. This means if you have 100.0 in a skill and someone else does too, good job, you’re both #1.
  • Instead of showing the Top 10 players, Niarja now shows ALL ranked players.
  • Skill Ranks now update immediately instead of updating in 15 minute increments.
  • You can now toggle character privacy at any time with no downsides or restrictions.
  • Toggling character privacy has been moved to the “Manage Character” page.
  • Private characters can now see STP and track skill progress.
  • Private characters now show up in rankings with the name “Private”. You can never see the skills of a private character or determine who they are, but you will see instances of “Private” in rankings. For example, you may be ranked 2nd in “Digging” while a Private player is ranked 1st.
  • Search characters and search skills now autocomplete names
  • Skill dump file uploads are on average 25x faster.
  • You no longer have to go through any “select new/existing character” nonsense when uploading skills. You add characters, and you upload skills for them. That’s it.
  • Corrected several bugs across the site where Wurm Unlimited numbers were erroneously being considered for Wurm Online skill rankings.
  • Moved the skill graph to a new location at the top of the page. Fixed a bug where skill graph drawing did not work properly when a character had only one skill dump upload.
  • Corrected some historical STP values
  • Error and notice notifications now show up properly.
  • When uploading skill dumps, more helpful messages are provided when there are problems.
  • Improved logging around failed skill uploads – if a skill upload fails, I know about it and have all the details I need to fix the problem without user intervention. I’ll make sure the success rate gets to 100%.
  • User account login length has been increased (you won’t have to re-login so often).
  • All skills are now shown to six decimal points everywhere.
  • “Faith” has been excluded from skill totals to match Wurm Online’s concept of a skill total (Faith has always counted for 0 STP).
  • The language of your skill dump no longer matters.
  • The Top 10 Wurm Online Freedom characters have been cleaned up and validated. I am working on cleaning up duplicate and fake skill information for players ranked 11 and below.
  • Existing links to character skill data should still work

There’s more, but that’s what I was able to remember. A lot has been rewritten and there’s a good chance I broke things – call them out as you notice them and I’ll get fixes up. I’m working on fixing some issues with the dark theme and fixing any launch problems, then after that….expect faster-paced feature additions again. I maintained most of the existing UI but now I want to start changing some of it, because a lot is pretty ugly.

Edited by Chakron
  • Like 4

There is a problem with the certificate for the site :(  only valid for niarja.com, but that site redirects to www.niarja.com so the certificate is invalid, and as HSTS is used it's not possible to downgrade to http, rather than https.

Ah, browsers tricking me. What OS/Browser are you using that is redirect you to www.niarja.com? I'll get this fixed.

Are "private" dumps supposed to show on the skill lookup?

b3992d9c7244285837fd461a7d1bbcbf.png

now everyone know noiz's body strength you monster

I fixed the https issue with the www/ route, thank you!

Yes, that is supposed to show. I discussed this with Noizhead and other players near the top. I also wouldn't assume that the top skills are all Noizhead - that's not quite how things go.

4 minutes ago, Chakron said:

Ah, browsers tricking me. What OS/Browser are you using that is redirect you to www.niarja.com? I'll get this fixed.

Browser tricked me as well, was adding the www when I tried without as I had a bookmark with that, and I didn't notice...

Yep, browsers are the worst. Anyway it should be fixed now - let me know if you're having any trouble.

Also fixed a bug with player search, fix will go live in a moment.

Just noticed affinities aren't showing up, I'll get that fixed tomorrow.

Edited by Chakron

There appears to be a problem with "Two-Handed Sword" and "Coal-Making" in the top 50 skill rankings search - getting a 500 error in the inspector's network tab - maybe related with the hyphen?

Edited by Wulfmaer

5 minutes ago, Wulfmaer said:

There appears to be a problem with "Two-Handed Sword" and "Coal-Making" in the top 50 skill rankings search - getting a 500 error in the inspector's network tab - maybe related with the hyphen?

Good catch! Fixed.

Great updates, thanks a lot!

One item I personally miss is now is the to players sheet...